4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
littlebeaver":2cqiwtu4 said:
Well fudge, I went to order that long bolt off that site I found, turns out the guy tells me that they don't have that bolt and they have never sold that bolt, after giving him the part number off the site, he could see it and all but said he doesn't know why they put stuff up on the site that they don't sell, I call BS, I was gonna get a few of them too..fudge...Where can one be found? Anyone know..?

The crank bolt right?
I found one at True Value hardware.
Make sure it's hardened and not the cheapy grade metal. Those strip easy and ya don't want it breaking.

Make sure it's hardened and not the cheapy grade metal. Those strip easy and ya don't want it breaking.[/quote]

I got mine at ace hardware.
It is a grade 8.8 I know the one I took out is a 10.0 but I think the 8.8 will work.
What do you think?
Just need your opinion not holding anyone to their answer.
Jerry

jerryinmich57":2zotn2pe said:
Make sure it's hardened and not the cheapy grade metal. Those strip easy and ya don't want it breaking.

I got mine at ace hardware.
It is a grade 8.8 I know the one I took out is a 10.0 but I think the 8.8 will work.
What do you think?
Just need your opinion not holding anyone to their answer.
Jerry

8.8 is plenty strong IMO.

Thanks Dan that's what I wanted was opinions I feel confident with it. :Egyptian:
I made a special lock washer for the pulley I will post a pic of it tomarrow in the Stella topic.
Being that the pulley is keyed to the shaft. the washer has a small tang to fit into a small hole in the front of the pulley then once the bolt is tight I will bend the oppisite ( I am pretty sure that is spelled wrong) side of the washer up on to one of the bolt flats. :music:
Like the was they used to do it on the front wheel bearings of old cars (when you could adjust them) the tang on them went into a slot on the spindle.
Jerry

Those are some nice looking bolt and prob. worth it if it is out in the open and you need something that strong but too pricey for me too I paid $4.00 at ace hardware for mine.

My alternator came in today, never thought I'd ever be drooling over a freakin bolt, those look great alright I want one of those, Countryboy do you recall how long the new crank bolt is ?

They have them in alot of different lengths nice, my alternator has a pulley on it ready for a v-belt type belt,, the outside mesurements of the pulley [ diameter is 2-3/4"] do I need a different pulley on the alternator.? Or will that be good?

Beav I would try to find a smaller pulley.
It has a been a long time since I put mine together but it seems like getting down to a 2" on the alternator I had to go with a flat belt which might be why I went with the flat crank pulley.

If you find a 2 1/4" V groove for your alternator then together with the 4" V groove crank pulley you'll be golden.

I was thinking about something that nobody else considered, you know how that bolt to the belt covers gets hit or is in the way of the 4" pulley, well a easy solution would be to countersink that bolt hole to custom fit a philips flathead screw of the same size bolt so the screwhead would be flush...thus no notch out needed..

I'd like to know how Countryboys is charging at a idle and what size pulley he has on his alt. he looks like he's ready just about to fire it up..

littlebeaver":3t69iy5c said:
I was thinking about something that nobody else considered, you know how that bolt to the belt covers gets hit or is in the way of the 4" pulley, well a easy solution would be to countersink that bolt hole to custom fit a philips flathead screw of the same size bolt so the screwhead would be flush...thus no notch out needed..

That sounds like a good idea to me.
The only problem I think you might have with that is I don't know what the cover bolts on the 1000 or 1100 are like but as you can see from the picture of my 1200 bolt is that it has a washer like built in about 7/8 inch up from the point.
I think that is there to hit the crankcase and tighten up before it bows the timing cover in you may have to build up something on the bolt in that point maybe a spot of weld or something if the other bolts are like mine.
Jerry

Attachments

• cover bolt.JPG
    cover bolt.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 82
yeh a spot weld or a little jb weld, what ever works, it was just an idea...Probably would work fine without any thing...

I just wanted to post a shot of the right inner belt cover bolt head I had to grind down because there seems to be way too much concern over doing that :roll:
After all, this is an alternator mod requiring cutting a hole into both timing covers and modding the radiator mounts, flattening the head of a bolt is nothing.

image.php

dan filipi":2bqzfusc said:
I just wanted to post a shot of the right inner belt cover bolt head I had to grind down because there seems to be way too much concern over doing that :roll:
After all, this is an alternator mod requiring cutting a hole into both timing covers and modding the radiator mounts, flattening the head of a bolt is nothing.

image.php
I agree Dan. :yahoo: :yahoo:

I don't know Dan :shock: , grinding a bolt head down like that is about as bad as cutting a pulley belt aaaaahhh..I'm just kidding, whatever works right.. make it work... :smilie_happy:

Latest posts