4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting mine done...I tested my stator today and it's only charging 11.5 volts before and after the three yellow wire connection [soldered area]...What the heck.. it's only charging 13.50 at the battery...at 3000 to 5000 rpm's should be around 14.50volts booooo :Awe:

toytender01":17nj567j said:
One engineer one project Please . I am getting a headache :swoon: :heat: :lazy: :whistling: :whistling:
Yeh I know I know...one engineer,,aaaaah :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Hey, maybe that socket idea isn't so bad after all the 5/8" socket fits the hole fine but that leaves no step up, well I learned that a 21 mm socket fits over the 5/8" socket nicely, it would have to be a deep set socket and just cut it as a sleeve to the top of the keyway cut and flush to the length of the 5/8" socket which is 1" long, so there's that 1/8" dan was asking for added,,, :smilie_happy: . I'm trying to come up with a way that anyone can do this themselves..that outer socket sleeve will act as a step up..I'm going to try it..I can see myself JB Welding the two sockets together, should work fine..I will get photo's of this idea soon..

Hey Guys when measuring for a belt, do you lay the string down in the grooves for the measurement????? I also used a seamstress tape and measured above the grooves,.....This my next stage ????? Thanks Bob I guess I should have asked which is the correct way to measure for a belt???? Thanks

JB Weld to hold these parts together - REALLY? For how long?

I previously floated the idea of an adapter for an existing available pulley as a cheaper alternative and I still support that - but you can't 'glue' them together and expect them to withstand millions of load cycles. Weld them, or bolt them, or catch a ride home.

Adjunct: 2,000rpm for 8 hours and 20 minutes is a million revolutions! - that's about 2 weeks for me.

I really didn't need to use it Andy, see if you think about it the bolt locks everything down nice and tight, you must cut the outer socket really exact and allow for that big flat washer too you know the one that holds the timing pulley's on and belt, the jb weld was put on so all the piece's don't all fall apart and off when I remove it , it's gonna serve it's purpose.. I have the alternator on the bike and I cranked it up and she spins well and very true..I gotta put the radiator back on and and wire it up.. I know what you thinking JB Weld what? :smilie_happy: It's funny.. so now you know..I'll let you guy's know how it works out for me.. Here's a photo for ya..View attachment 2 Oh' I have a 30" serpentine belt..View attachment 1pulley at the crank to a 2" pulley at the alternator..I'm not asking anyone do this Andy...this is what I did I would never do that, because I have an issue with my alternator and I need it now, I still have an order for a pulley, I think this will work until I get it, Now if for some reason that big crank bolt were to come loose, I might have a problem but being that it spins clockwise it shouldn't come loose.. Andy can you make a spacer at your shop...People are asking way too much in this town.. Andy would you feel better if I told you I welded it ...ha ha :hihihi:

Dan or anyone, what gauge wire is right for the alt. main power to the battery ? I gotta say guys, it was pretty cool looking down and seeing that lettering on the new belt going round and round.. as long as that belt isn't overly tight it will be fine...and I promise to tell on myself if it don't work....... aah.. :smilie_happy: aaaaaA Penny... aaaa :smilie_happy: watch it work forever.. :hihihi: Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do..

littlebeaver":312vpuan said:
Dan or anyone, what gauge wire is right for the alt. main power to the battery ? I gotta say guys, it was pretty cool looking down and seeing that lettering on the new belt going round and round.. as long as that belt isn't overly tight it will be fine...and I promise to tell on myself if it don't work....... aah.. :smilie_happy: aaaaaA Penny... aaaa :smilie_happy: watch it work forever.. :hihihi: Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do..
LB, most are using 8ga with a 50 mp fuse but like most that I have read, the fuse is not needed. Ange. :yahoo:

fysty-1":sqiz2u94 said:
littlebeaver":sqiz2u94 said:
LB, most are using 8ga with a 50 mp fuse but like most that I have read, the fuse is not needed. Ange. :yahoo:
Hey Angie thanks, I'll see about getting some later on today and fire that bad girl up, should work just fine for many years..My stator went bad on me, so I got creative..You should see the cut I made around the back of the alt. Dan's gonna say, good job I bet..and if I need to adjust the belt I can just recut here or there, I have a serpentine belt on it , someone said it made noise, I didn't hear any noise, I bet they have their belt way too tight..It's shouldn't be overly tight..not on the alternator..You can really screw up the bearing in a hurry if it is..I know everyone knows that but,, just saying..When I took the alt. to have them put a 2" pulley on they tested it for me...Good..I got it used off ebay, might get another to keep on the bike just in case..50 amp fuse but its 55 amp alt. do they make 60 or 55 ? I don't have a clue, I'm not a mechanic ya know...

Oh yeh, that one is blue I think and it has a number 60 on it...I just forgot.. :smilie_happy:

take a string and place it in the grooves of both pulleys. Then go to the auto store and buy 3 or 4 belts close to the taped measure. return the belts you do not use. I found the string to be an inch short of what I actually used.

wilcoy02":2bag26em said:
take a string and place it in the grooves of both pulleys. Then go to the auto store and buy 3 or 4 belts close to the taped measure. return the belts you do not use. I found the string to be an inch short of what I actually used.
Ahh Thank You! Thank You! Ahh Thank You Very Much!!! :music2: Elvis :smilie_happy: Bob

Dan I shall get some photo's soon I promise, looky here I figure if it works then awesome if not then somehow some way that crank bolt came loose. :shock: ..Here's how I got the bolt off to start with, I followed Dan's idea of putting it in third gear and rolled the bike forward in gear until it stopped, I cut and wedged a piece of wood to hold the brake down as tight as I could had the daughter sit on the bike, and put my socket and ratchet to work and it came straight off...no problem...I have read of guy's using washers as spacers and it worked for them, so yeh it should work just fine..

Dang Beav,... You were lucky to get yours off so easily :shock: !!! I used an electric impact that handles about around 80 ft. lbs + - !! And the dang thing wouldn't move at all! :Awe: I finally got a small pipe wrench and put it on the thick washer at a slight angle, so not to bend the pulley washer and used a breaker bar to finally get it loose :heat: !! The bolt only calls for 55 ft. lbs. torque, os when I put the pulley on I think I may have tightened a little bit more then what it's called for :roll: !!! I put the bue thread lock on and said the heck with it, a few lbs. shouldn' hurt any thing!! Time for my chores :whip: :whip: ,...then I can play with my toy :smilie_happy: !!! :hi: Bob

I have the anwser thanks to Angela or Fysty-1, I wanted to place a chart here for a reference, this should be in the alternator conversion area probably but, here it is.. https://www.alternatorparts.com/wire_size_chart.htm guy's I'm going to place everything that has to do with my conversion where it should be, in the conversion area, this is a pulley post...And I'm aware of it.. so don't start yelling at me ,,,kKKKKay :hihihi:

LittleBeav - well done buddy. It looks like a winner. My JB Weld comments were not meant to be discouraging, just precautionary - but you seem to have been way ahead of me. A thorough doccumentation of this could well become a poor man's poorboy mod - I would do it. Right now I'm just too busy riding, riding, riding, keep this dogie riding, RAWhiDE!!!!

No problem I didn't take offense to it , my bike was down and I had to think quick on this, I think it will be fine, Take care Andy...