76 Goldwing project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6314

Reaction score
No pics yet because I'm not sure which bike is which. Today I bought a pair of Goldwing projects with titles for $150. Seller told me their landlord said either the projects had to go or they had to go so the bikes went cheap. 1982 1100 Goldwing and a 1976 Goldwing with they think a 1000 cc. My son is getting the 82 to restore and I'm sending him a link to this forum. I have always wanted a bike but now have some issues with balance so want to use the 76 as the start to a custom front trike. Think CanAm Spyder type bike. It's gonna be a slow process but I enjoy a challenge. Sending titles off this week.

Screenshot_20230605_133532_Messenger.jpg

No one makes a reverse trike conversion kit for my bike so I was wondering if a sidecar would add any stability. I have a service dog and want her to be able to ride with me. I could design and build a sidecar much easier than a front end conversion. The sidecar would have a roll cage type framing. Ultimately, I want to use whicheverer option is safer.

Last year when we went cross Canada, met a fellow from Ontario that had his best friend with him riding in a sidecar. The dog had his own setup in the sidecar, and he was outfitted to look like a pilot of years gone by. He had a BMW adventure style bike, and the sidecar rig was purpose built I think. Didn't need a roll cage.

The only issue I can see is it would take a bit of time to get used to the sidecar rig attached. Rode an 1800 with a huge sidecar attached, not my cup of tea. This is the rig we rode:
Sidecar.jpg

I'm completely new to riding bikes by myself although I have been a passenger. I also had a 100 cc scooter because it was the only transportation I could afford at the time. My goal is to get the bike completely finished before I start riding, sidecar included, so I think it might be easier for me to learn. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

If I don't do a sidecar then I'll need to mod the seat area to accommodate my service dog. But if I'm modding the front end, then I might end up moddi g the seating anyway.

you have a friend who's a banker?..........or just grandiose plans? by the time you get finished that as a project, you'll have invested three times (or more) what it would be worth. just go buy yourself a sidecar rig. i know this just sounds cruel, but sit down and shake your head. what you are showing us is a project for a millionaire who knows what he's doing.

Neither. What I do have is time and people willing to trade their skills for my skills on projects. And if I can't find someone to barter with, then I'll learn what I need to and do it myself. I learned what I needed to in order to restore my truck so I can learn new stuff to setup this project. I was told the same thing when I started restoration on my truck. "You'll spend more than you can sell it for." My response was "Doesn't matter. Im fixing it the way I want it and I don't plan on selling."

I learned how to do furniture upholstery as a teen helping my grandfather restore antiques. It was fairly easy to transfer those skills to auto upholstery and I figure it should be even easier to adjust to motorcycle upholstery.

Last edited:
What's your time line? This looks to me to be at least a 1-2 year, possibly 3 year project - have to allow time for living. Need the OEM manual for the 1000 and 1100. Did you get all the body parts from the previous owner?

Since this is your first major Reno of a motorcycle, mine was 8 years ago with an '85 GW Limited Edition fuel injected model that was on the road. This is my long term retirement project and I'm still working on it. I also have a 2014 CanAm Spyder. I would suggest if I may, a way forward to get a feel for what you have.

I would not strip the bike and start from the ground up. You should be able to clean it up and get it turning over as is. Once you determine what you have, then go for the "Full Monty".

Take lots of pictures, note wiring connections, clean all connectors and replace. Take off anything that looks like it doesn't belong, noticed a couple of items. If there are wire splices, remove-discard, go back to the original installation.

Make sure the engine is free to turn.

Prove the electrical system works such that you can check for spark. Here's a wiring diagram:
gl1000-goldwing-wiirng-diagrams-1975.jpg

You will have to refurbish the carbs to get it going, or at least disassemble, clean and reinstall. May be enough to get a cough or two out of it. A small ultrasonic cleaning unit is good for this. This is a 3L unit:
3L Ultrasonic Cleaner.JPG

The throttle and clutch cables can be made by yourself, kits are on the web as well as info on how to make these.

Purchase a small endoscope that you can use to view the inside of the cylinders.

You will need a set of vacuum gauges.

Check the orientation of the carbs, in this I mean which carb is the base carb that you use to do a carb sync. The 1100 is carb #3, just for info a 1200 carb setup uses #4 as the base.

If you are going to do the swing arm bearings, you will need a special tool. I use a Park Tool FR-6, get at any bicycle shop, and inexpensive. Think it works on the 1100 as well, not too sure about the 1000:
ParkTool FR-6.PNG

Once you clean up what is there, it will not look so daunting.

Make a list of what you may need such as brake and master cylinder kits and determine availability.

A few thoughts. Hope this helps.

Good Luck. Cheers

I don't have a set timeline. It’s gonna take however long it takes. I'll be working on it in free time. I appreciate all the advice.

I had someone suggest that I strip it to a frame and use a big scooter engine to power it since it has a CVT and I wouldn't have to worry about changing gears then.

I have 3 spare 75 GL1000 project/parts bikes (2 with titles) if you have an interest in any of them. I need to clear out some storage spaces that are getting rent$$-happy.