'80 1100 affectionately known as "Phoenix"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
I couldn't resist guys, I had to share the story of my rebuild. Those of you from NGW have seen it already, but for those of you who haven't been there, here goes.

I bought my 1100I a year ago this past August, and she was horrible. The only reason I dropped the amount of money on her that I did was because I had driven so far to pick her up. This was a sight unseen purchase basically, and the PO said "I think it looks GREAT." Yeah right.

beforeresto2.jpg

I was appalled when I got there. I had never seen such a hack job done on any bike. She had a cat eye tail light that you could barely see. Instead of the hard bags, he had attached a set of leather bags under the seat. And by attached, I mean he screwed them to the fender.

trunkbeforeresto.jpg

Where the original trunk should have been, he had "rigged" a 1200 trunk in for the turn signals. Instead of an extra break light, he done away with the original turn signals. Go figure.

seatbeforerecover.jpg

She had the very stylish and custom duct tape seat. That was horrible in August, your pants always got sticky from the glue on hot days.

FalseTankbeforerepaint.jpg

The biggest thing that bothered me about her, was the flame paint job. Don't get me wrong, done the right way, flames can look good on anything, but these looked like trash. On top of that there was a red vinyl cobra sticker on top of the faux tank.

Over the past year, I feel like I have done quite a bit, but not a lot either to restore the girl to her glory. I have since replaced the leather bags with the original hard bags, replaced the original trunk, added a brighter tail light, added in some LED turn signals, as well as found a pair of originals to put in place after the paint gets laid on. I have the trunk and side panels in primer as well as one of the lower fairings, and bag lids.

I just today started removing parts to get ready for paint and major work. I know, before you guys start flaming me for not doing it, I should have changed the timing belts, but I didn't and that is on the list to do before next spring. Here a few pics of some more recent work, including what has been done so far today. Just FYI, I recovered the seat my self.

goldwingpics001.jpg

seatafterrecover2.jpg

goldwingonly.jpg

My plan is to do a two step paint job, like on the faired 1200's, using O'Reilly shelf tan and burnt orange that was mixed to match a Dupont Hot Hues color sample. The story on the tan is, I went in to O'Reilly's knowing for sure that I wanted to use the burnt orange, but I wasn't sure what secondary color I wanted. The guy behind the counter had been adjusting some shelves that day when I asked him if he could go ahead and mix the orange while I searched through the books of paint chips. He said sure and laid a piece of the shelving over the color sample that I had chose. I closed the paint chip book and asked if he could match the color on that piece and he said he would try. He brought out this little eye gadget and went over to one of the clean shelves took what looked like three pics and went to the back room. When he came back, he had a quart of each color in his hand. I was amazed, and I personally think it's going to look great.

I'll keep you posted on how she turns out.

The seat is by no means perfect, but it is a lot better than the duct tape. It took me about 2 months to recover, but I only got to work on it 30 min to an hour at a tme on Sunday evenings.

I still have the shell, but I've sold the lights and inner brace to help pay for other parts. It was pretty broke up. It had holes drilled through the top to accomodate flag poles.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I still have a long way to go as I still have to finish prepping her for paint, change her timing belts, and change her water pump as well as whatever else I find along the way.

GOOD JOB!!!!

I think I have to agree with you... the flames were hideous :shock: And it looked like a bad compilation of luggage, too. The butt lift did wonders for her! Her hiney is SEXY NOW!!!She's already a looker! Can't wait to see how she ends up!

Well, the past few weeks have really sucked for working on the old girl. If it hasn't been raining, it's been so cold you couldn't stand to be outside for more than a few minutes at a time so progress is really slow at this point. I still haven't ordered my water pump and gaskets yet, but that is on the list for the next couple of paychecks. I have, however, been able to find a few parts for her. I stumbled upon a set of Markland floor boards with a heel toe shifter that the po is going to send me for the cost of a set of used pegs, which I picked up on flea-bay for $20 shipping included. I've also got a set of rear air shocks from flea-bay on the way that I picked up for less than $30, a little rusty on the outside, but guaranteed. But the piece de resistance, is the HID kit that I ordered. I stumbled on a thread over on the NGW about a conversion for less than $100, $64 shipped that is, so I checked it out. It uses the original housing, and still keeps the Hi/Lo function switch. I ordered it on the first, so I know the order wasn't going to process until at least yesterday, but I still haven't received a confirmation email as of yet, and this is Tuesday afternoon, so I called them. I had to call long distance, due to no toll free number that I could find, was put on hold for about 15 minutes, then asked if I wanted to leave a message so they could call me back. Well after a couple hours of waiting, I decided that it had been plenty of time, IMO, and called them again. Again, I go through the push 1 for this and push 2 for that menu. On this call, I finally get to talk to a live person, and he tells me that they are still processing holiday orders and that it could be up to 4 business days before my order ships. :shock: I couldn't believe that, 4 business days, if they are that busy, I believe it's time to hire a few more workers. When I questioned him about the phone call earlier, he said "Our phones stay busy all day." I ask how many people they had working the phones and he said 6. :shock: If the phones stay that busy, again, I say it's time for more employees. I realize the economy sucks right now, but if more people had jobs, more people could spend money, and the economy would get better.

Ok, I'm done venting, so I'll get off my soapbox now. I know anybody can have bad days, so I'll think I'll let this one go. The guy on the phone sounded like a little weeny anyway.

By the way, here is the link to the HID web site:
https://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_3 ... 06-61.html

If someone else orders from them, maybe they'll have better patience than I do.

Looks like a good deal if it shows.Lower amps almost makes me want to bite.
Id just be concerend about a bulb burning out on a trip and not being able to find a replacement just anywhere.
I stock a couple of the HID bulbs for cars in the store and there about $100.00 a piece.

A few years back,I had a head lamp burn out on a weekend trip in the U.P. I switched back to low beam and lost it later the same night.Had to relie on my fog lights to get me to the next motel and replaced the bulb the next day at the first auto parts store I came to.I bought 2 worried why they both went,but to this day have not used the second bulb,but it is still in a nice little box in my trunk ;)

That's the thing it uses the stock wiring to a box then to the bulb. If it burns out on th road, replace it with the stock h4 until you get home.

I received my air shocks today. Appears that the seller didn't seal off the openings for the valves so oil is everywhere on in the box, but after a little clean up and replacing the oil, I should be good to go with those. I've also decided to buy another seat, just to have an extra one on hand. Here is a pic of it, tell me what you think. And please be honest.

uglyseat.jpg

I've made it a step further in my quest for a new headlight as well. I received notification over the weekend that UPS has received the shipping request, but as of 2:55pm CST today, it hasn't gone anywhere. I think it's time for another phone call.

plskthompson1":3u8z9yza said:
I received my air shocks today. Appears that the seller didn't seal off the openings for the valves so oil is everywhere on in the box, but after a little clean up and replacing the oil, I should be good to go with those. I've also decided to buy another seat, just to have an extra one on hand. Here is a pic of it, tell me what you think. And please be honest.

uglyseat.jpg

I'm not crazy about the color, looks comfortable though.

Latest posts