'80 1100 affectionately known as "Phoenix"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seat would look right at home on a bike in New Mexico...it's got that "Southwestern" flair...
Is that not a stock, 1100 seat that's been recovered?

Well, I just checked on my headlight order. It is finally within 100 miles of home, so maybe it will make it here tomorrow. I don't know why I'm in such a rush for it to arrive, the old girl has no clothes on yet. :smilie_happy: So no need for the headlight at this time.

All right, the fun begins, SOON. I've got the water pump, all the gaskets and o-rings, including the ones for the crossover tube, new oil filter, antifreeze, two timing belts, and degreaser. Ordering the spin on adapter tonight, and I need to get the oil, but I'll be tearing into the front of the engine this week, thanks to Roady and Octane.

Oh, and for those of you who want to use the spin on adapter, but dislike Fram filters, Motorcraft 400 is an interchangeable part number.

plskthompson1":21gslic7 said:
All right, the fun begins, SOON. I've got the water pump, all the gaskets and o-rings, including the ones for the crossover tube, new oil filter, antifreeze, two timing belts, and degreaser. Ordering the spin on adapter tonight, and I need to get the oil, but I'll be tearing into the front of the engine this week, thanks to Roady and Octane.

I dont see beer on the list :Doh2:

Tory":xwq05ocl said:
Let us know how the headlight works out.

I put the "bulb" into the housing. The clamp that holds the H4 in place works, but it's a little bit of a pain to get around the tail piece. Still prepping for paint on the plastics, I can only work outside when the weather permits, and lately it hasn't been amiable around here.

As for that ugly seat, I decided to pass on it after all. I figured, why have two seats, I can only use one at a time anyway. Now if it were a Corbin, I might have thought differently.

Looks like it would ride good , But.......... the colors are odd ..... but you said you was gonna do it in Black . are you gonna do the cover yourself ??? my wife is makin' us a new cover right now..

Well, I finally got to start on changing the water pump last night. I was held up due to the garage I am using usually only has one bay at a time free and the owners been doing some side work in that bay.

I thought I was going to be able to do the job with the fairing mount in place, but that didn't turn out to be the case. I pulled the radiator, and finally got down to the meat and potatoes of the install. I pulled the water pump cap off, and did Roady's jiggle and wiggle test. I had probably a 1/4" movement in any direction, so yep it had to be done.

When I started to remove the cover, I kept meeting resistance. It didn't matter what I tried, that thing wouldn't budge. After a second glance, I found a bolt that I hadn't removed. It was counter sunk into the cover on the top right hand side. Took that one out and the thing just about fell off. Now for the clean up. I've got the new pump mounted into the trans cover, but it will be a couple more day's before I'm ready to crank her back up.

Well, the water pump install is complete as of Sunday, Feb. 7, 2010 12:00 P.M. CST. Not much to it after getting the old one out. :music2: Everything went back together with out a hitch, and the only problem that I have noticed is a small, and I mean small, drop of oil underneath, and I think that came from where I didn't clean the bottom of the engine. Before, if I ran her for more than 5 min at a time, I had a full blown puddle, so I think I can handle a drop. After everything was buttoned up, I let her run for probably 15 min or more, cycled the fan a couple of times, and kept an eye on the temp gauge. It never got above mid gauge, so I was very happy. :party: :party:

I added a spin on oil filter adapter while I was at it. The only issue with it is, I don't like Fram filters very much, so I decided to go with a Motorcraft, I'm not sure about the white filter sticking out the front of the engine so I'll have to work on that with the next oil change. Any suggestion? :headscratch:

Now for the bad part, I'm going to have the replace the timing belts with the radiator in place. My plan was to do it while I had the radiator out on this job, but the owner of the shop was rushing me to get it out of his way, so that had to wait. And, while I was taking her off the lift, she fell over on her side and the hot exhaust landed on a blue tarp in the floor, SO, I have to figure out how to get the plastic off the exhaust manifolds. :sensored: :head bang: :sensored: Any suggestions there?

Geeeez! I'm afraid all of my sugestions involve heationg it up and using a carb/brake cleaner. Both flamable options :eek:

plskthompson1":31ylzldy said:
I added a spin on oil filter adapter while I was at it. The only issue with it is, I don't like Fram filters very much, so I decided to go with a Motorcraft, I'm not sure about the white filter sticking out the front of the engine so I'll have to work on that with the next oil change. Any suggestion? :headscratch:

Now for the bad part, I'm going to have the replace the timing belts with the radiator in place. My plan was to do it while I had the radiator out on this job, but the owner of the shop was rushing me to get it out of his way, so that had to wait. And, while I was taking her off the lift, she fell over on her side and the hot exhaust landed on a blue tarp in the floor, SO, I have to figure out how to get the plastic off the exhaust manifolds. :sensored: :head bang: :sensored: Any suggestions there?

Summit Racing has chrome covers that slide on and use a set screws to hold then in place.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... over&dds=1

You can run the bike until the exhaust is hot and use a cotton rag to wipe the plastic tarp residue off. Don't use a cloth with polyester in it or you may leave more residue than you get off as the polyester will also melt. :eek: :eek: :eek: After you get it mostly clean let the pipes cool and polish them...

I just finished my water pump a few days ago also and now on the the forks, brakes and final drive. :fiddle: Since we have snow and cold Its a good time anyway. :mrgreen:

plskthompson1":2p0d3p47 said:
And, while I was taking her off the lift, she fell over on her side and the hot exhaust landed on a blue tarp in the floor, SO, I have to figure out how to get the plastic off the exhaust manifolds. :sensored: :head bang: :sensored: Any suggestions there?

Easy Off Oven cleaner...use it sparingly, and be really careful of getting it on anything you don't want the paint removed from! Depending on what type of plastic the tarp was, it should come off fairly easily, then you can use a metal/chrome polish. If you've never used Flitz, it works really well, but it takes a little elbow grease, and it works best with paper towels. :good:

Latest posts