81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riding down the road toady and a freeze plug I put in the secondary air port in the head blew out. Made quite a bit of noise without that in. I'm going to need to add some JB Weld to hold them in. I also decided to replace the 1000 throttle cable with a shorter 1200 cable. That gets rid of one minor issue on my to do list. I only have about 15 to go...

I have come to the conclusion that the choke isn't working. No matter what I try, I cannot get the choke to close automatically. Once it is warm, it idles fine, but it takes a lot to get it started. Looks like I get to tear the carb apart for a closer look.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172677#p172677:3lfvhazv said:
brianinpa » 18 minutes ago[/url]":3lfvhazv]
Does your have an electronic choke Dan?
No.

I think I found a problem with my carb... too much slop in the chocked shaft, so it just binds when it tries to open. Now I have to make a decision. Throw money at a carb that I don't know the history of, or buy a new one. Easy decision! The hard part is deciding which one to buy.

Looks like I will be installing the stock 1200 carbs for a while.

Or follow Joe's plan c. Just remove the choke entirely. If you want new find the link posted by dkl . He's had good results with his.

Brian with an accelerator pump you may be able to make do without a choke in all but extremely cold conditions. With my Kombi ( Subaru EA81 1800cc ) I just pump the accelerator for a rich mixture and have to keep off it until it warms up enough to drive off without stalling :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172989#p172989:259tjhvd said:
joedrum » Sun May 08, 2016 1:32 am[/url]":259tjhvd]
hmmmmm seems i never needed a choke....no way to mske it manual?

Tried that and that's when I found that the shaft was binding.

it my beleif idle jetshould be rick enough to not have starting problems ....with acellerator pump and a bit stout idle jet ..motor well start iin all conditions ...with throttle lock when cold ......pretty much how hooch is set up....bike runs great in cold weather.....