81 gl 1100 upstate ny

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm seeing all those leaves and crap sitting on top of the engine.
You need to be clean prior and during assembly now. Don't want that crap getting into the crankcase oil return below the pistons or into the water jacket around the pistons.
It's very important to clean every last bit of the old gasket material off both the head surfaces and the block and especially around the cylinders because that seems to be where the leak usually starts.

I'd also lap the valves while heads are off.

I've suggested using the $25-27 head gaskets we can get online before. I use those because I'm very particular how I clean everything well and I always use Copper Coat spray on both sides of the gasket.
You need to judge for yourself which you feel comfortable, OEM or other.

the gasket seems ok can i reuse it it is not torn and looks like a good gasket i am far from a parts store and dont have a credit card or extra money can i just put it back togther and get a hundred miles out of it then i may have some money to sink

rtv? im not cheap just broke so even if it leaks whats the worst could happen i hafta replace the head gasket

Well I've always wondered how that would work and how long it would seal or if it even would.
I'm not going to say it's right or wrong because I certainly don't know everything.

Go for it but let us know how it works out please!

If this is just to try and make it run and maybe a temporary thing. Cut out heads gaskets from tight cardboard like a cereal box and use the coppercoat. Should last long enough to verify the motor runs.

the only reason i even think about is it looks like the old one is great not a perminant fix but just enough time to decide

The cylinders look good! +1 on everything said above! Don't attempt to reuse those gaskets. The sealing quality is destroyed when they're removed. They may work for 100 miles, or even 1,000, but it's highly doubtful, and not worth the risk of getting coolant in the oil, seriously overheating, or blowing a gasket in the middle of nowhere.

I've been working on mine for over a year, and I know it's tough to be patient, but the final results will be well worth it! Save those pennies, get a prepaid debit card, and get your parts online, delivered to your door.

Your bike and your money so obviously your choice. Just trying to give you options. I have used cereal box head gaskets on lawn mowers with success but never on a water cooled motor. No guarantees on it.

ok you guys talked me out of it may try cereal box or just wait gotta trust the experts got me this far....

If you just want to hear it run, and maybe go a few (very few) miles on it, clean everything up real good, get a can of Dan's copper spray, and use the old gaskets. I'm thinkin' that the high heat and pressure of combustion would eat up cardboard within minutes. You need the metal rings to seal the combustion chanbers. Either way, you'll have to do it all over again to make it right, and dependable. We'd all like to know how it will work - if you want to experiment.

gasket prices are insane these days of so call no inflation ...but cheerios is no answer ...im always thinking on what to try for head gaskets but I have many motors ...but for you just put it out your head and buy gaskets when you can there no doubt it a strait rip off ...don't destroy the oldwing over it ...heck that the whole idea of pricing things so high you rather buy new ....ebay cheap gaskets are half the price and better than cheerio box