'81GL1100 carb vac set screw @ #4.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhsr68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
20161127_135952.jpg

Question 1: I'm in the process of re-building the carbs. Is this #4 vac set screw, which is different from #2 (also in pic on bottom) and #1 not the correct length?
Question 2: The throttle plates have "K103" stamped on them. The stamp was upside down on all four. I know the plates are mitered and offset top from bottom. Should the "K103" face up and out?
TIA,
Gary H.

Thanks ghost. I've had the rebuilt 81 carbs on and off a couple times trying to free up the infamous idle jets. Got it to burn (hot pipes)on 2, 3 and 4 then broke a extractor trying to remove the jet on 1(it has spark). Bought a replacement bowl for 1 (e-bay) but will most likely buy/rebuild a 82 rack with the threaded jets.The idle jets was my only concern when I rebuilt the 81 rack. Thanks again.

Gary H.

I use drywall screws to pull those jets. Bolt extractors I feel cause damage from twisting. I force the screw in the jet and lever it out with wire cutting pliers like using a claw hammer to pull a nail.

Yeah, I probably should have tried that first. I'll probably try to drill out the extractor with a split tip bit since all other attempts have failed (it's in there). This forum is alright; very cool. Thanks for the info.

Gary H.

If you have a replacement jet you might be able to drill an off set hole part way in and still use the drywall screw to remove it.

@ghost: I've already nicked the inside of tower wall with the bits I've tried to use. At this point I need to exercise a little patience. Had I done that beforehand I wouldn't be in this predicament :shock: . One way or another I'll get this sorted. Thanks for the help tho; it's much appreciated.

Gary H.

Hang in there Gary. If you need further ideas we are all just full of ideas. Post up a good pic of the botched jet. Maybe that will give us a bit more to work with.

Looks to me like a hollow drill is about the only option. Unless maybe you have a stud welder. That could possibly work.

hmmmmm ...i hate these carbs ....if your going to get that out ..its going to be piece by piece by hand it seems ...id say a longer drywall screw or cabinet screw might extract it ..the ones with larger wood threads and someting on it so you can turn it by hand to dig in some

@ghost: Actually I'm a Sheet Metal worker by trade and mostly weld for a living. I also own the Eastwood 135 Mig but not a spot welder (yet).

@joe: Imo these carbs are similar to many things many members here have worked on. They're a pita at first glance but once we've done it they're not that difficult. Knowledge/notes/pictures, organization, orientation and attention to detail are some of the things I use (Yes, I'm former active duty military).

The replacement carb is in flight. I'll clean it up, swap the guts and hopefully get it to burn on all four then in the spring I'll source a 82 or 83 rack and rebuild it. With the help of this forum I'm confident we'll it running.Thanks guys.

@McGovern: My bad. I tried to re-title this thread "81 GL1100I Restomod". Probably should have contacted a moderator.

Gary H.