84 1200 in 82 naked standard

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i think i burned up my entire ignition system ...the srarter cable was to short so i dismounted it and one of the jumper cable wires was touching the muffler and melted into it and i think shorted the plus generator or the igniters or both ...now its just back fireing and all so im in all kinds of trouble now .....

on the bright side it wasnt smoking as bad ...but im done it seems now ....i dont think i can come up with all the parts that might be trashed.....

its the little things that can get you some times and this was huge :fiddle:

Don't be discouraged Joe....you have been in worse spots before! With your ingenuity, you will come up with something. If it is parts, I'm sure we can try to help!

well ive got very good news the for the 82 ....1200 mod its seems nothing burned up .....it also seems that the carb job that me and slabghost did with him on the chat line went very well too ....i couldnt find any help with pics or even explanation in words on the computer for 1200 rebild ....but worked and we chated back and forth about everything and we figure it out ...i havnt ran it much but it seems to rev good theres some dialing in to do for sure ....the vacume advance is not hooked up yet either i only ran it about fifteen minutes....

now for actual cause of failure yesterday ....apparently i caught the shorting problem quickly as not even the fuses had blown anywhere in the fuses .......so what happen is this ...this morning iwent out check some of the wiring and every thing was looking good ......so i decided to take the gas tank off so i could get at the pluse generator good when i took the cover off the ignition the rotor bolt was loose and the rotor would spin on the shaft with the saft not moving ...apparently i didnt tighten it enough or forgot to this allowed the anvancer and rotor unit to slip outward when it did the little pin thats in the saft was thown out cause the saft and the rotor not to be locked together...so when i took everything off the motor when pulling it i felt the pin fall in my hand ....i reasemble everything with pin in place and tried it it back fired a little and i was still discoraged .....so there was a 50 50 shot that i was wrong with the rotor when put in the advancer or the pluse generator or igniter was bad regardless of the ignition pin falling out ....so itook everything back off and reattach everything with the rotor 180 degrees the only other way it would go ....held my breath and tried again ....vaarrooom it fired right up :yahoo: :yahoo:

on the other issue of smoking its seems to be about done with that it smoke some and was missing a little but soon was clearing up and realy started running good the carbs need i a little dialing in too along with the ignition but its running good :yahoo:

ive seemed to realy dodge a bullet here im so pleased my stupidity didnt do in this bike mod mod and im on tack again and will be moving forward :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :hihihi: :mrgreen: i will try to do better on coving all things it get a bit big at times :thanks: to all that were hoping things would work out they did :hi: :mrgreen:

all weekend it rained so didnt get much done except hurt my back splitting wood..but im fixing to to go out and work on the the project bikes ...im all wrap up up in the back area and will probably work on the 77 some today :mrgreen:

here a pic of the fuel pump im using on the 1200 82 its a vacume deal that im going to run off the intake horn on the 1200 84 motor
image.php

dan filipi":3qj5h2ct said:
I just realized that's the camera case behind it.
Boy, that pump is tiny..
It's built to fuel 3 carbs on a Polaris snowmobile so should have plenty of flow.

some more pics of the 1200 82
image.php

ineed to get a 1200 airbox
image.php

carbs are doing fine with the cleanup job that was done to the inside of them ...the outside is a little dity
image.php

this is a pic of the 82 1100 ignition installed on the back of the 1200 84 motor.......
image.php

another shot this shows the 1200 hydralic clutch slave cylinder that still has to be hooked up
image.php

yesterday i finaly got the 1200 airbox ....isee i was needing it back in october 3 2011...here it is feb 15 2012 and i finaly get one ....small step but im excited to see if it will fit the spot in the 82 frame ....when i get ahead of the game on slabs bike im going to get this one going to the finish line ....this will be an interesting bike for sure

oh big move on the 82-4 ...after talking with slabghost yesterday i look into again trying to figure out a way the use the cable clutch operator for the 1200 hydro clutch ....and im realy not to sure how i was fooled the last time i looked at it the last time ...but im sure it was the same thing that happen today ....the 1200 motor has an alinement pin on the unneath side that not drilled for on the 1100 clutch cover and cable hook up ...even tho the 84 1200 motor and 1100 clutch cover have same hole line up the 1100 was not drilled for it ....when i try to put it on it wouldnt go all the way making me think the clutch mechconisum was running into the fatter 1200 clutch ...it wasnt at all .....

anyway i have clutch now ...im sure it will be stout to pull probsbly ....but its sure better than not having anything to pull at all :shock: ...now realy all i have to do i get fuel to it ...ive got vacume fuel pump im going to try ...this is huge to me ...one day push a long ways closer to done :mrgreen:

Nice Work Joedrum,

You did not show the special tool that made this all happen, The - Shoe Horn

Let me see if i have this right,

1. You swapped out the GL11 Rear vacuum advance in place of the GL12 vacuum advance PG, and there by getting rid of the electronic box that the vacuum hose for the gL12 had?

And

2. You are not using a Hydro master for the clutch but a GL11 cable pull clutch grip.

yes your pretty much right ....... the 84 1200 motor is a lot like the 1100 motor ...so i gambled that the ignition would switch out and it did ...the result is an 82 standard wing with a 1200 install with stock wiring and all ...the 1200 is basicly stock with 1200 carbs also ...1200 cams ....all that's left is fuel pump mod and a driveshaft minor mod ....its getting close to just putting it back together ....

i also have a 86 1200 motor that has 1000s heads cams and carbs for it ...there is some question weather i have to do some cut out work on the pistons. that's coming soon once i get the building more done....

i also have another 86 1200 motor that heads are modified to accept the 1000s fuel pump dyna ignition and early 1000 cams ...it's all together but really close in clashing of the valves and pistons ...maybe too close ....i might have to go with 78-79 1000 cams on it to make some more valve clearance ....it has 1200 carbs on it also ...cant wait to get one of these going i have a broad range of mods to test for likes and dislikes :mrgreen:

I am defiantly going to keep watching this.

Great thinking

I would like to hear the final ride report.

im so happy about getting the lutch hooked up ...here a pic of the 82 1100 clutch cover installed
image.php

image.php

theres the old tornado damaged 82 motor ...im wanting it out of there ...so i can put the 86 1200 in there ...it will be 1000ized to the max even if i have to make piston cutouts deeper for the 1000 cams ....im also wanting the stand all wired up so it can run in the stand not just this wing motor but any...i also would like to have a pully for the crank so to have a way to turn motor slow or any speed i want like a rotisery the stand is on sival wheels and sould make working on motors easier i hope
image.php

this is a pic of a titled 82 rolling frame that was givin to me ..i realy beleave i have the parts to complete it :smilie_happy:

Latest posts