A Travellin' We Will Go

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213296#p213296:1kpj7dtn said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:10 am[/url]":1kpj7dtn]
Enjoying this trip!! :thanks:
yes, it was in a way, a trip of a lifetime... certainly one of the big ones on my bucket list. :music:
and , as all trips should have , a bit of fun and games before we get back to civilisation.... :smilie_happy:
anyway, here is AYERS ROCK /ULURU as we saw it on the approach, the morning after leaving Curtin Springs.
ps.
"Ayers Rock " is the name given by our noble english forebears, and " Uluru " is the Aboriginal name.
rock 1.jpg

rock 2.jpg

rock 3.jpg

View attachment 1

Attachments

• rock 4.jpg
    rock 4.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 83
so, i had a couple of things i wanted on this trip,,,
see the rock
see the rock at sunset and maybe sunrise
photograph my blue wing with the rock behind it.

here are some pics of the sun setting on the rock. it really is an awesome sight, and without going all hippy,
there really is something special about that place. dont know what it is..
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

I could see how that could be considered a holy place, since how it rises from the surrounding landscape looks so unusual.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213382#p213382:3a4eqrah said:
saganaga » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:56 pm[/url]":3a4eqrah]
I could see how that could be considered a holy place, since how it rises from the surrounding landscape looks so unusual.

yes, to the traditional owners, it is a place of significance. i remember when the Government gave the
land containing Uluru and its surrounds , back to the traditional owners.
that is, formally gave them title . it was around 1984 or 85.
but , it came with many conditions. one of those conditions was that tourists be allowed to climb it.
that condition will be withdrawn later this month. whether you agree with climbing or not, there
are many good reasons not to . foremost is, there are no facilities on the top of it, so it can be a
little grubby up there in places. :nea: :nea:
at the bottom of the climb point there are a few signs......here is what the traditional owners say.
Please don't climb.jpg

and if you look over top of the sign , this is what you will see. a steady stream of climbers......
Please don't climb 1.jpg

here is a pic, taken a bit further away, showing what is known as the scar on Uluru. because the
rock is a type of sandstone, over the years the climbers have worn a trail . there is also a chain
fence part of the way up. not sure if that will be removed.
the marked trail can be seen in the middle of this picture.
Please don't climb scar.jpg

here are a few more picture of areas around the rock and my blue 75 . first on is one of me on the phone
to Tony ( ANSIMP ) as i recall ... :wave: :wave:
13.jpg

71077103_527673824673883_5845494131018694656_n.jpg

71382027_350450892348748_226277504426442752_n.jpg

If you look closely at this picture you can see the climbers , making their way up......
71239582_1674781682655802_3869482619905245184_n.jpg

71471357_631098267297025_6876932906564976640_n.jpg

and here is the pictures i wanted. some of my blue 75 with the rock behind it..
bike at rock 1.jpg

bike at rock 2.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213461#p213461:1vrs9p2q said:
K7TKA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am[/url]":1vrs9p2q]
Good looking mufflers on that bike!
haha. yes, they are . was a bit stressful as i recall Auspost sent them the long way...... :BigGrin:

just near Uluru , there is another outcrop of rock called The Olgas. we made a side trip out to them. seen here on the left..
1.jpg

i cannot pronounce the Aboriginal name ,,, but i am sure it means something.... :headscratch: :headscratch:
2.jpg

here are a few pictures of the area, not as popular as Uluru but pretty good just the same.
03.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213477#p213477:29w288d9 said:
D-50Dave » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 pm[/url]":29w288d9]
Them rocks look OLD!

yes, those rock formations apparently were pushed up out of an inland sea, about 400 million years ago. strangely, all three
major rock formations are composed of different type of rock. Uluru is Arkose , a coarse grained sandstone.
Mt Connor is made up of Carmichael sandstone, and the Olgas are granite and basalt gravel, cemented together by sand and mud.

So, after a couple of days of mooching around , it was decreed by the greater power ( missus )that we would retrace our steps south.
i was all for heading north and then east over to Queensland. so, we had a fair and democratic discussion and then did what she
wanted..... :eek:k: :eek:k: :eek:k: haha..
Off we went , back to the main highway south. finally we got a real strong tail wind and we were just cruising along enjoying not
having to battle the wind, when Murphy paid a visit...... :blush: :blush:
The left wheel on the trailer parted company, and bounced off into orbit... never to be seen again. we were cruising along at 100
Klms and the trailer hit the deck, causing much panic.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

And as it turns out, completely my fault. still kicking myself. i had notice a few days earlier that the handbrake cable on the
trailer was a little slack. hmm i said to myself, have to get around to adjusting that. BZZT..wrong. :crying: :crying:
the brake shoe had been stuck on, cooking the bearing. words were uttered that cannot be printed here.....

01.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

So, unload the trailer, get it jacked up onto a couple of big rocks , assess the damage and make a plan. we were about 40 klms
from the nearest roadhouse ( no town, just a roadhouse ) no phone service where we were. fired the postie bike up and went looking for the wheel. i can tell you, i searched and searched but no sign of it. it must be still
rolling through the scrub i reckon. so, changed over to the Goldwing , rode back to the Kulgera Roadhouse and phoned
the breakdown service. rode back out to the bus and trailer and waited for the cavalry... :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
7.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213507#p213507:37kmhyl4 said:
saganaga » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 pm[/url]":37kmhyl4]
That sucks.

And as it turns out, completely my fault. still kicking myself. i had notice a few days earlier that the handbrake cable on the
trailer was a little slack. hmm i said to myself, have to get around to adjusting that. BZZT..wrong. :crying: :crying:
the brake shoe had been stuck on, cooking the bearing. words were uttered that cannot be printed here.....

haha. a very expensive and irritating experience. there were a few good points..

the wheel did not hit another vehicle. :music: :music:

we were not on a time schedule . :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

no damage to the bikes inside the trailer, when it hit the deck.

so, we are thankful no one was hurt and only my pride dented a bit (and wallet )...... a fair bit.. :head bang:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213571#p213571:3r77nyul said:
saganaga » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:01 pm[/url]":3r77nyul]
Waiting for an update.

here we go,, so the cavalry arrive. the fellow in the blue shirt is the recovery driver, the two monkeys in the black shirts are just
along for the ride. blue shirt knows what he is doing , the other two just chatter and get in the way.... :beg: :beg:
8.jpg

10.jpg

eventually blue shirt sends the two irritations away to check something on the truck and we get the thing on the truck and strapped
down. he is a very patient man..... :music: :music:
11.jpg

13.jpg

so, we get back to the campground, which is really just a gravel area out the back of the roadhouse , choose a spot to drop the
trailer where it won't be in the way while working on it. luckily , the truck driver had a couple of car stands he let me use.
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

and here it is, sitting on stands with the axle removed. as we had to replace the whole axle due to the damage , i thought it best
to take the whole thing to the trailer place, so they could see exactly what we had to replace.
ps
having the trailer on the stands like that, brought every noodle brain old fellow expert out of the woodwork..... :rant: :rant:
3 main types of dodo ....
no 1
no help at all, shakes his head and says... glad you know what your doin... what happened ???? :headscratch: :headscratch:
no2
shakes his head,.... wont ever happen to me, i make sure everything is in shape before i leave. you should check things before
you go. i always do. i never break down. :evil: :evil: :evil:
no 3
the ocd . make sure you line this up. make sure you tighten that . get this brand bearing not that one. watch out for the right
type of spring washer to use with the nylock nut... :head bang: :head bang: :head bang:
i slink off the bar and soothe my bruised ego with 8 dollar beers...... :salute:
17.jpg

Latest posts