Back to a Standard with the Wife's approval!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101588#p101588:1nssvzs0 said:
brianinpa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 am[/url]":1nssvzs0]
So you tore the front end apart again to put the fairing back on again? :head bang:
I only did that once to try it all out. I really did think I could put the fairing back on with the turn signal/headlight brackets installed. It was only after I tried it did I learn that the turn signal ears will not fit so I took everything off and went back to the Vetter setup for fall and winter riding.

2nd time is a charm! :whip:

The windshield is in and it looks awesome!! It is the National Cycle Plexifairing III. (Pics to follow soon)

It was on sale, 30% off with free shipping which is the lowest price I have seen for a new one with mounting gear in about a year of watching for it!

Unfortunately, I cannot install it yet. :crying:

I have to strip the bike to the frame to replace/weld the centerstand and check the rest of the frame for rust damage. Time has not been on my side this year with quite a few personal issues preventing me from doing any work on the bike. Soon, very soon.

As I am slowing working through all the pieces needed to make this right, I have been concerned that I would be giving up my tunes with the removal of the Vetter Fairing. :crying: :cheeky:

I spent a fair amount of money on the radio back in 2007. It is a Sony Marine AM/FM/CD/iPod/AUX waterproof radio with an external battery operated remote.

image.php

It is a great setup since the iPod is wired directly into the radio (not just an aux input for MP3, an actual iPod cable comes built in) which keeps the iPod charged and has full iPod functionality. I removed the fairing and the Cycle Sound unit to see if it would fit behind the Plexifairing III windshield.....no dice...... :crying:

Pull the radio out and,.......lo and behold...........it has a jack in the back for a wired remote??? The iPod cable is nearly 10' long!! (Can you say remote installation??) So......is there a wired remote??

YES THERE IS!!! :yahoo:

Turns out Sony makes a WATERPROOF wired remote that is specifically designed to allow this radio to be located out of the weather and have full functionality. There are three remotes available from basic level all the way up to mirror of the radio front panel! I am going for the simple 2 1/2" unit:

image.php

So now all that I need to do is decide on speaker containers!! :rocks: :music2:

New front tire is in!! :yahoo:

It was still in the original Bridgestone wrap:
image.php

image.php

It has a date code of 3313 so I know it was made in the 33rd week of 2013 (That would be around August 2013, not bad).

image.php

No blemishes or dry spots so I am pretty confident this was a good deal! :rocks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114396#p114396:am5jylls said:
dan filipi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:30 pm[/url]":am5jylls]
Just curious if anyone has ever contacted the place before ordering a tire and asked them the date code on the tire they'd be sending?
I didn't, I just purchased online. If it had a date code that was more than 2 years old for a new tire, I would have sent it back.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114117#p114117:3v68jps2 said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 pm[/url]":3v68jps2]
Turns out Sony makes a WATERPROOF wired remote that is specifically designed to allow this radio to be located out of the weather and have full functionality. There are three remotes available from basic level all the way up to mirror of the radio front panel! I am going for the simple 2 1/2" unit:

image.php

So now all that I need to do is decide on speaker containers!! :rocks: :music2:
This is such a cool remote! I found an image of a guy with a Harley that installed the same unit!

image.php

Ran into a small issue.....that remote is discontinued!! :crying:

It used to retail for $28.95! Now it is only available as NOS....cheapest price.....$99 plus shipping!!! :shock: :cheeky:

There is another unit available that I can get for $60 plus shipping, but it is 4" diameter versus 2 1/2" diameter for the other one.

image.php

or for a little more there is the highest grade one that actually has a LCD screen that is similar to the radio's which is still 4" diameter:

image.php

I like the functionality of the RM-X60M, but at 4" diameter, it might be a bit big. I have to justify spending $99 plus shipping for the smaller one...... :cheeky:

While I am waiting on funding and trying to make a good decision about the speakers and remote, I came across a pic of my Wife from back when she joined me on one of my ships when we were working out of Cape Cod. It was an offshore clam dredge that was a converted Navy Yard freight ship. (Ok, rust was a key ingredient in the paint scheme!) This is appropriate for a motorcycle forum.......the name of the ship is the "Easy Rider'!!

Throw back Thursday.....1984

image.php

image.php

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114612#p114612:11798quu said:
Omega Man » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:52 pm[/url]":11798quu]
:0fftopic:

:hihihi: J/K.

~O~
No!!! Its not!!! (She is looking over my shoulder) Remember the topic title........I have the Wife's approval to spend money to get this bike back to a Standard.....I have to give her some face time!! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114610#p114610:3qchghtm said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:45 pm[/url]":3qchghtm]
While I am waiting on funding and trying to make a good decision about the speakers and remote, I came across a pic of my Wife from back when she joined me on one of my ships when we were working out of Cape Cod. It was an offshore clam dredge that was a converted Navy Yard freight ship. (Ok, rust was a key ingredient in the paint scheme!) This is appropriate for a motorcycle forum.......the name of the ship is the "Easy Rider'!!

Throw back Thursday.....1984

image.php

Rust????

I am surprised that was still floating! :shock: :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114637#p114637:3687jn9f said:
brianinpa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 am[/url]":3687jn9f]
Rust????

I am surprised that was still floating! :shock: :mrgreen:

Naw....it was superficial rust! As a matter of fact, we cleaned the hull with muriatic acid and the paint actually looked great! But some of the superstructure needed a bit more work. :hihihi:

Navy hull built to Navy standards in '44. Just added a false bow. That ship did not go to the scrapyard until 2006!

OK....back on topic.

Still not able to find 4" speaker pods.... :rant:

Latest posts