Back to a Standard with the Wife's approval!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhhh.....looky what I won on Ebay........

image.php

:oops: In my search to find a remote and then finding out that the smaller one was running $99, I kept searching and this one was listed for $30 plus shipping as the starting bid. The same unit is available for $82 average so it was fair to assume it would at least go for $60-$70 at auction if not up to $80. So I threw a low bid in for the heck of it. :shock: :laptop:

$33 later, I am now the new owner of this brand new Sony Marine Remote......EXCEPT it is the 4" dial, not the 2 1/2" one I was looking for. (Really didn't think I would win.)

Oh well, money saved!! I will have to make it work!! :yahoo:

Now.....on to the speakers!! :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114681#p114681:278hjg3z said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:39 pm[/url]":278hjg3z]
Your right V, they are not cheap! Plus, the smallest is for 5 1/4" speakers. That would be too large to mount under the handlebars.

We think outside the box here mister! Why not mount them to the engine guards? :headscratch: :whistling:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114690#p114690:1qb3n782 said:
brianinpa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:13 pm[/url]":1qb3n782]
Gerry likes to stay between the lines and in the box! :smilie_happy: :wave:
Yeah, I'm pretty black and white when it comes to this stuff. You don't see a whole lot of customizing around here. I think the radio setup with the windshield is radical stuff! :smilie_happy:

Ever since I saw JPWingers set-up at Joe's place I have been thinking about getting a set of speakers and mounting them under the luggage rack. Obviously those would need to be marine grade also.

The boxes I linked are not cut to fit any speakers. They will cut them for you for another $5 each it said. Pods on the crash bars next to the frame might be the best way to get 4-5" speakers up front.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114742#p114742:yr8wsoit said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54 am[/url]":yr8wsoit]
The boxes I linked are not cut to fit any speakers. They will cut them for you for another $5 each it said. Pods on the crash bars next to the frame might be the best way to get 4-5" speakers up front.
Saw that V! I am just hesitant to spend $59 plus $5.00 to cut plus shipping for pods and then still mod them to fit the bike. I have found 3 1/2" handlebar mounted speakers for about $42 total.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114742#p114742:138onqi3 said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54 am[/url]":138onqi3]
Yesterday I put the Vetter fairing back on while waiting for parts. (4 bolts and 1 wire harness, back in business!) I had the Cycle Sound Radio out so I rode without the radio. Almost 3 hours of riding later and decided I really like my tunes when riding!

But, I did seriously look into the idea of pods on the crash bars. Not a bad idea, but I do ride with my feet on the crash bars once cruising down the road. I intend to add highway pegs in the future, but I decided that handle bar mounted speakers might be my best option.

My radio has an amp built in, but I see a lot of these speaker setups come with an amp. Wondering if I benefit from buying speakers with the mini amp or just buy speakers that will run off my radio......

Brian,is it working well for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115014#p115014:1boiqj8e said:
Dusterdude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 pm[/url]":1boiqj8e]
Brian,is it working well for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I really like it. Had a Plexifairing III on a GS850 a couple of bikes back and liked it.

Very good wind protection, lots of adjustment, can be taken off/on in minutes, very solid mounting. And I think someone else mentioned that, because it is all clear you don't really notice it while you are riding.

Brian

The radio remote is in! It works even better than I anticipated!! It mirrors every function of the radio with nice big buttons that can easily be pushed while wearing gloves. It came with two cables that are direct connectors for the radio and are about 12' long (bit long for a motorcycle), but will make running the wires and wiring the radio in the trunk a snap! :yahoo: :party:

Now, to pick speakers......

The only remaining item to get is that rubber fork cover and fix the center stand! :Egyptian:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115160#p115160:2y2h52g7 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am[/url]":2y2h52g7]
The radio remote is in! It works even better than I anticipated!! It mirrors every function of the radio with nice big buttons that can easily be pushed while wearing gloves. It came with two cables that are direct connectors for the radio and are about 12' long (bit long for a motorcycle), but will make running the wires and wiring the radio in the trunk a snap! :yahoo: :party:

Now, to pick speakers......

The only remaining item to get is that rubber fork cover and fix the center stand! :Egyptian:

Still looking. :help:

Well, I finally settled on speakers from Sound Storm Laboratories. There is a lot of info out there and Youtube videos and the consensus is get the largest speakers with high wattage input in order to get a bass response of any type. Also, the Shark 250 W amp and speakers do seem to work okay,but apparently the chrome (plastic type chrome) peels in a few years and there performance is marginal. The Pyle speakers are good, but too small for good response at higher levels.

I found another company that has 3" weather proof (not water proof) speakers that come with a 600 W amp that accepts either MP3 and has RCA connectors for my control head connections. They are also advertised as "Black Chrome" which I thought would look cool! They will be here in about a week so I will report on them soon.....

image.php

600 watt, wonder if that true.
The 600 I have in my van is 3 times the size with no extra room inside it. New technology in amps and speakers are pretty darn impressive these days though.

Latest posts