Bad Goldwing Dad & his carb problems

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Sabbath.

#1 Perhaps it would be worth a sticky to spread wide and far the eureka-thing I just tripped over, which I have never read, nor has anyone ever told to me, nor has the cosmos ever revealed to me (but you guys probly already knew) - when removing or attempting to remove the carbs from their tiny little environment on a 1982 GL1100. and they insist on hanging up somewhere halfway out, and you can't see in there from both sides at once, open the throttle, which will fold the linkage up out of the way, and the carb body will squirt out the left side!

This is why you don't pay any attention to the Clymer manual, which instructs you to re-install by attaching the push-pull cables and tightening the lock nuts only finger tight, until the carbs are in place and you can't get a wrench on them for love nor money. Tighten them before you slide them in all the way.

#2 Carbs are out.

#3 What next?

don

First thing I'd suggest is put the rack level and run fuel to it from 3-4ft above and see if there are any leaks.

Tomorrow morning is spoken for, but when I get home, I gotta go get a gallon of Bel Ray and a filter for a 2007 KLR - 1500 miles on the odometer and probably the original oil is dripping out as we speak... then I'll hit up a friend at a lawnmower repair place for an old gas tank. I can rig it as high as I need to above the bench, and I've heard 6 ft is abt right. Please let me know the optimum height. I understand I'm using gravity to simulate the delivery pressure of a fuel pump, is that correct? And then I connect it to the hose I disconnected from the fuel pump?

If all this is correct, what next?

Thanks!

don

"HA! HA! HA! Boy, this is too fun!!!!"

set it up like was posted except first ck flow with all the bowl drains out see if all the carbs look to be fedding the sam ...if so it getting fuel ....put drains back in hook hose back up and let it set for hrs ans see if gas leaks out of rack or carbs ...if it don't leak any where you have passed the flow and stop flow test

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100742#p100742:67njbrhk said:
centurion94 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:51 pm[/url]":67njbrhk]
Tomorrow morning is spoken for, but when I get home, I gotta go get a gallon of Bel Ray and a filter for a 2007 KLR - 1500 miles on the odometer and probably the original oil is dripping out as we speak... then I'll hit up a friend at a lawnmower repair place for an old gas tank. I can rig it as high as I need to above the bench, and I've heard 6 ft is abt right. Please let me know the optimum height. I understand I'm using gravity to simulate the delivery pressure of a fuel pump, is that correct? And then I connect it to the hose I disconnected from the fuel pump?

If all this is correct, what next?

Thanks!

don

"HA! HA! HA! Boy, this is too fun!!!!"
Yes that's the idea.

Good evening All,

Well, the carbs are on the bench. I picked up a lawnmower gas tank this afternoon, degreased it and cleaned about a cup of rancid "gas" out of it, washed it out and built a hanger for it. I'll suspend it 4-5 ft. above the carbs with some gas in it and run a clear tube down to the bench with a pinch clamp on it.

When I connect it to the fuel line fitting and open the clamp, gas should flow into all four carb bowls, correct? Then the floats should shut the needle jets and things should be very dull after that with no further activity, right?

However, should other events should occur, such as gas continuing to flow, producing the suspected flooding, where should I see evidence of a malfunction?

Thanks! If I had the tubing on hand, I'd go do this now. And by the way, should I have the other two vacuum pistons out as well? I'm not sure where to be looking...

:thanks:

don

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100870#p100870:1twmbd58 said:
centurion94 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 pm[/url]":1twmbd58]
Good evening All,

Well, the carbs are on the bench. I picked up a lawnmower gas tank this afternoon, degreased it and cleaned about a cup of rancid "gas" out of it, washed it out and built a hanger for it. I'll suspend it 4-5 ft. above the carbs with some gas in it and run a clear tube down to the bench with a pinch clamp on it.

When I connect it to the fuel line fitting and open the clamp, gas should flow into all four carb bowls, correct? Then the floats should shut the needle jets and things should be very dull after that with no further activity, right?

However, should other events should occur, such as gas continuing to flow, producing the suspected flooding, where should I see evidence of a malfunction?

Thanks! If I had the tubing on hand, I'd go do this now. And by the way, should I have the other two vacuum pistons out as well? I'm not sure where to be looking...

:thanks:

don
Yes
Could appear anywhere.
I'd put the rack on several layers of newspaper and remove the vac slides (pistons) and watch everywhere for evidence of leakage. Inside the slide cylinders. In the plenum. At the intake horns. Look it over closely.

I'm hoping that any problem capable of producing 7 mpg should be fairly apparent, if it's a constant. But like I said, the "issues" didn't manifest immediately, as far as I could tell.

:shock:

I'll save my comments for now and just let the debacle speak for itself...

1st sunlight in 8 years
1st sunlight in 8 years.jpg

Auxilliary gas tank
Aux gas tank and line.jpg

Shut-off
gas line shut-off.jpg

ready for test run
ready for test run.jpg

Hoe. Lee. COW!
Hoe.Lee.COW!.jpg

7 mpg, on a downhill
7 mpg.jpg

my 94 Dodge 1500 gets better mileage
My truck gets better mileage.jpg

Little tiny bubbling fountain
little tiny geyser.jpg

:blush:

what wuz da name of dat movie, oh yeah, "And a river runs through it" :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Sorry, couldn't help meself.

Looks like you got some float and/or needle-seat gremlins. Been there myself so don't feel like the lone ranger.

I personally would not write off the brand of needles and seats as the problem just yet.

If your getting gas out just the one bowl then go after the cause for that specifically.
It could be there's some dirt got in between and keeping it from seating.
Make sure while your at it the seat is tightened down to the carb body. I've forgotten to tighten one more than once.

After that, set the float height then hook up the gas and test if the needle is closing with the bowl off.
Push the float up to horizontal with the carb body, that's the height gas should shut off.

If your getting gas out just the one bowl then go after the cause for that specifically.
It could be there's some dirt got in between and keeping it from seating.
Make sure while your at it the seat is tightened down to the carb body. I've forgotten to tighten one more than once.

After that, set the float height then hook up the gas and test if the needle is closing with the bowl off.
Push the float up to horizontal with the carb body, that's the height gas should shut off.

I didn't mention this but the only one which was not leaking was #4. The other three looked to be about equal but #1 appeared to be the worst. I'll double check the seats but I was very careful to make each one snug but not overly tight since it's brass and aluminum I'm playing with.

The float height has been set - 15.5mm from the lowest end of the float to the carb body, which makes the line along the middle of the float parallel to the edge of the carb body.

Should I just use some blue tape to secure the float in the up position, and then repeat the test to see if the gas is still flowing? Might be tough not to apply just the right amount of upward pressure on the float though...

I'm not exactly the brightest bulb in the Easter basket, but are we all agreed that the gas is coming past the needle valves? And very funny, Mike, I missed it the first time. The only movie title I'm coming up with is "Mission Impossible" (not completely seriously...).

Latest posts