Bad Goldwing Dad & his carb problems

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And by the way, I read something on another site that an OEM stock Honda float seat should be marked with a Keihen logo and a 1.0? These say 20, or 2.0 - problem? Or no?

I actually work in slight rotation back and forth .... the two parts together as final smoothing ... this is the sealing surfaces......air cutoffs could be at play here if something is stuck ...

10-4, using anything for a mild lapping compound, or just mild pressure and friction? Air cut-offs have been replaced - that was the start of all this monkey-business, as Grandpa would describe it.

Geez, I hope somebody else is getting/will get some good out of all this!

hand touch is what I do ..you can actually feel it better ...or at least I can and its costless ...but im sure other ways are good too but touch is mandatory not to cause damage from stupid hands ...

Okay, I've polished the seats with rubbing compound on the end of a q-tip and they've been cleaned with carb cleaner. Needles are going into a glass bowl for a little vinegar soak, then I'll rub down the points with a damp dish cloth and do the patented Joedrum mating swirly-thing. After a stern talking-to they will each be shown their seat, given their permanent carburetor assignments and be re-installed.

The float heights will be readjusted to 18mm and we'll do the old gas tank in the sky routine. I keep remembering that when I first checked float heights, they were pretty equal all the way around at around 22-24mm or so, and they didn't start leaking (as far as I knew) until they sat for 8 years, hence the original title of this saga, er, post.

:headscratch:

When I was in college, I took Accounting I one semester and then Accounting II the next. I barely rose above a D for these two courses. It wasn't because I didn't try, because I put more work into them than any other class. I just didn't get it. So, we thus see that I'm not the brightest candle in the jack-o-lantern. However, we keep trying, just like Accounting II :good:

Fast forward to my garage this afternoon. After I re-mounted the needle jests (that was a typo, but I'm just going to leave it), I readjusted the float height to 17.5mm. The gas tank was mounted a little over 5' above the carbs. Totally dry. Hurray. Whatever....

Half hour later, I had gas dripping from #2, very slowly. No prob, I let everything dry up and lowered the float height to 19mm on that carb. Wound up with a very slow drip from the crossover tube on that one. Knowing that this happened before and then dried up, I went and took a nap for an hour. Went back out and I've got a 1 drip/every 3 seconds from the little pipe coming from the float needle, just like before. It's also coming up around the fuel/air needle hole at the butterfly.

I dropped the gas tank height to a little over 3' above the carbs and the drips slowed to about 1 every 6 seconds. Put the clip back on the fuel line and it stopped. :heat:

Now here's my read - I'm there, basically. By lowering the gas tank, I've reduced the "fuel pump" delivery pressure to something closer to normal? If so, 5 ft. was "over-pressurizing" the system, pushing more gas past whatever leak is present??? (Note: three ??? means "somebody/everybody respond")

Next, re-installed, the leak would not be present while the bike was off, as long as I shut the petcock off when I parked, which we should do anyway???

Next, if the bike is running, it will be using enough gas out of the bowls that there won't be a drip every five seconds running down the intake tubes???

Next, can I safely call this job done yet???

Next, :thanks:

don

I don't know if anyone has actually checked the pressure at a given height. I suppose there's a way to calculate it.
If you have a pressure gauge you could check it, that would be helpful to us all.
We're looking for 3 psi.

How much fuel is in the tank? On the bike you may have 5 gallons the top of which would be roughly 1 ft. above the carbs. So I think 1 gallon 3 ft above should be roughly equal. Have to tapped the carb bodies all around with a screwdriver handle? A little shock vibration can help seat things. I wouldn't call them good yet. Unless you like practice in removing the rack. I'd install them once you have the leaks stopped under pressure for several hours.

:Egyptian:

Gentlemen,

45 minutes after the latest tweak, the orbiting gas tank is back up to 5+ feet above the bench and all carbs are bone-dry. "Why, how in the world did he do it, Frank?"

I got ticked off and cleaned up one of the original needle valves/seat arrays with carb cleaner and re-installed it. It was so happy to be back in the game (by the way, Ohio State is going to win this one - Penn State just threw another interception. My wife told me.), it just sealed the leak. Bone dry.

"Gee, Wally, what can we learn from all this?" "Geez, Beav, don't buy aftermarket, ya dope! Alway buy OEM, like Pop said, right Pop?" "That's right, Wally, your Mom and I are proud of you! Beav, ya little dope, always buy OEM carb parts, just like Mom said!"

For your pressure question: as an old "bubblehead", I'll never forget 44 psi/100ft. But that is seawater, heavier than fresh water and much heavier than gasoline. Anyway, that means 10 ft would give you 4.4 psi of seawater. Gasoline being so much lighter (I know this isn't the answer you want, but....) I'd estimate ~10 ft to get a 3 psi head (Joe could do it in the doghouse, but I don't have an indoor area where gasoline is permitted with that much headroom). BTW, I use Isopropyl Alcohol for my testing. Much safer, although still flammable at the 91% that I use. And about the same density as gasoline. I just pressurize a small volume of it with the exhaust end of a MightyVac with a pressure gauge inline.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Gentlemen, thanks in no small part to your encouragement, we are finished. 35 miles this evening hardly moved the gas gauge - the new air cut-off valves are doing their job. Did the same route as the last two times and no bogging down, plenty of torque and throttle control. We got 'er done! :good:

God is good!

:Egyptian: :clapping: :salute: :yahoo: :thanks: :wave:

don

Latest posts