Bad Goldwing Dad & his carb problems

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning!

#1, #3 and #4 were all set to 17.5mm. That settled everybody down for about an hour. At that time, I noticed #2 was still leaking, about a drip every 5 seconds. I raised (lowered?) the float height to 18.5 to 19mm and it still leaked. When I conducted the test in the video, i pressed the float all the way up snug and it still dripped, never shut off all the way.

That's when I brought out one of the original needles and seats, cleaned them up with carb cleaner and installed them. Leak gone. In a perfect world, I would open it back up again and reset the #2 float height to 17.5 like the others. In fact, if I ever take these off again, I'll probably clean up the rest of the originals, reinstall them, reset all floats to 15.5mm, repeat the test in the video and call it all good. But it runs really, really well now, it's late in the season and I still maybe can get some riding in before winterizing (with Seafoam this time). I want to run through this tank of gas to get an idea of how much the new air cut-offs have done for my mileage.

As was said, this is what happens when you throw money at a problem instead of trying the obvious first. That was a $100 lesson, which in some circles is called "smart money". I'm now $100 smarter. The real value of this thread is illustrating the problem and solution for others. The smart man, such as myself, learns $100 lessons. The wise man learns from his lesson, and saves the $100 :good:

Maximum blessings,

don

Yes very good info Don.

I'd like to know what it is about those aftermarket seats and needles that causes them to not stop flow.
Could it be the needle doesn't sit squarely in the seat?
Maybe the rubber tip material is too hard?

Folks, I changed the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the actual topic being discussed. It will help newer folks looking/searching for this sort of info. :mrgreen: :wave:

Carry on..... :hi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101601#p101601:lc47vcwj said:
AApple » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:16 am[/url]":lc47vcwj]
Folks, I changed the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the actual topic being discussed. It will help newer folks looking/searching for this sort of info. :mrgreen: :wave:

Carry on..... :hi:
I was doing the same thing at the same time! (No wonder it kept changing on me!)

I wish I knew why this one was bad - I did everything joedrum said, plus polishing out the seat with a q-tip loaded with a little rubbing compound and cleaning off the runner needle seat with carb cleaner and then a wet coarse washcloth. It sure looked just like the others... remember the old Sesame Street song, "one of these things is not like the others..."? :smilie_happy:

Uh, do I start a new thread about what I think I'm going to do with a '76 GL1000 which will probably shortly be in my garage? Y'all are a fun bunch and I wouldn't want to leave you behind. Dan?

Very good Sir.

If my neighbor, who now owns my first Wing, does the right thing and sells it back to me (and lets me make payments...), you will find me in the GL1000 Department under "You can call me Bob". :cool:

don

Hope she is all sorted for you now. Still plenty of good riding time here in Tennessee. Of course with the wind protection and electrical power on my 1800, I can don the Gerbings and ride until ice or snow (or cold rain - don't like cold AND wet) park me for a week or two. When storing, try very hard to have ONLY 100% gasoline in her tank and carbs. And when Spring comes - RIDE!

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

I realize this is an old topic but still very useful, after putting my carbs back on my 83 gl1100, I to found them to be leaking bad. looks like I will be pulling them off and checking them out and doing the pressure test like you did. Thank you (centurion94) for spelling it out so eloquently for the rest of us.

Latest posts