Clutch adjustment

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought my '81 Interstate in the fall of 1989. I'd only ever adjusted the clutch at the hand lever. I've pretty much maxxed that out, so I pulled out the service manual and read the very straight forward clutch adjustment procedure. It sure would be easier with the engine out of the bike! there's a cross member of the frame right at the clutch basket. Did the best I could by feel. Is there a special tool that allows you to hold the threaded rod while tightening the lock nut down the recess? Thanx, Dave

Iirc, when I had to adjust mine on The Turd after using silicon on the rear cover instead of a gasket, I was able to get to it fairly easily from underneath. I don't recall having any issues with getting to, or making the adjustment. Don't think I took any pics of that particular problem at the time, but I'll look...

So the clutch was all back to right. I do most of my riding back and forth to work, 30 minutes and mostly highway. I get off the exit and go to downshift and the grip is just flopping there, not attached to anything. I start stomping to down shift and bang it all the way to 1st. I catch a green light to make the right and I need to make a left at the light 300 yds. up. I see a green arrow and wind the poor thing up to 6k in 1st, but make the left. Was able to bang it into 2nd and went the 4 miles or so along the shoulder at 25mph, running a 4 way stop along the way. Caught the green light just before catching a gap in traffic to make the left into our yard. Got it into neutral and pushed it to the shop. Called the local Honda dealership and they can get me an aftermarket cable in 1-2 business days. Anybody ever change a cable on an Interstate? Oh, and I even punched in on time!

You need to learn to shift without the clutch. It's just a matter of finessing the throttle. I learned it when I was 15 YO and the cable broke on my 150 dream. Rode it a long time like that until I could afford a cable.

Congratulations on your lucky breaks! Too bad about your cable misfortune. The difficult part of a new cable is getting it behind the frame rail at the rear of the faux tank on the right side. Make sure you get a good look at the route across the front so you can copy it.

Turned out not to be the cable, but the adjustment at the basket backed out because I couldn't lock the nut properly. I've "modified" a small box wrench by putting 2 90* bends in it that I'll try to address when I get back from vacation. I was at least able to get the bike back to the house before we left.

The saga continues. On my way into work, the clutch suddenly got out of adjustment. Made it to work and, after punching in, I tried to adjust it and the cable snapped at the handle. Had the replacement cable at home and swapped it out this afternoon. Things I learned:
1) When using the old cable to pull the new cable thru, remove the 2 adjusting nets and pull from the clutch to the handle.
2) Attach the handle end of the cable first, then the clutch end.
3) Put the rubber cover on the cable BEFORE starting step 2.
When I was done and went to ride it home, I found I have no rear brakes. Checked the system and everything looks dry and attached. I did have to manhandle the brake peddle to get the aftermarket chrome panel out of the way. Any ideas? I'll be starting a new thread about this. Thanx, Dave