Dan's carb reconditioning done on the cheap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week has passed soaking in this mix.

1. So far 3 of the slides have come out. (One was slid out this afternoon when I lifted the
rack up out of the bucket, that was a surprise).
2. All 4 floats are unstuck. The float needles and seats need some more cleaning.
3. The 2/4 side choke plates are unstuck and moving freely.

What's left to loosen:
1. 1 slider.
2. 1/3 side choke plates.
3. All 4 throttle plates.
4. Air cutoffs? I'll have to pull them out to see if they need more soaking after everything else loosens up.

I did a little tooth brush work on the outside.
Slow and gentle.

This seems to me to be the right way to restore an old rack of carbs. It is time consuming but very little chance of causing any further damage. I think I may try to make it a little faster here. Maybe mount the tub on four aquarium pumps to vibrate the mix.

joedrum":2dj8q0nq said:
yes i think this may be the best backyard way ......vibration is great mod .....but we must keep im mind that this is a total no cost way at the moment ....
One way I was thinking to get some agitation of the mix is if the container was solid and tightly sealed, put it in your trunk while going back and forth to work :good:

bob the truck driver gose to work ....put in his lunch box ...bill the driver says hungry today bob and laughs ...bob is hungry to finish his no cost carb rebuild :smilie_happy: :moped: :mrgreen: :hihihi:

dan filipi":1r7f7qac said:
Removing the float bowls and having a look at the condition inside:

Dan don't know why I haven't been able to hear the last 3 videos sound is out :headscratch: ,being this one the third.....great for the videos :rocks: :rocks:

carl62cycles":updfncaf said:
dan filipi":updfncaf said:

Dan don't know why I haven't been able to hear the last 3 videos sound is out :headscratch: ,being this one the third.....great for the videos :rocks: :rocks:
I made a few of them silent. That's one of them.

It was sort of a trial but it's better with audio narration so that's how I'm going to do the rest of them.

dan filipi":ypye79pw said:
carl62cycles":ypye79pw said:
dan filipi":ypye79pw said:

I made a few of them silent. That's one of them.

It was sort of a trial but it's better with audio narration so that's how I'm going to do the rest of them.
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: you got me there,I see the soaking is doing wonders,keep those videos coming :thanks: :thanks:

Dan, any idea if you used pine o sol after the ATF brew soak ( which conditioned your rubbers and seals) whether the linkages would of freed up without using PB blaster and manual activation? Once finished with the pine sol soak you could then

Ansimp":zush8qup said:
Dan, any idea if you used pine o sol after the ATF brew soak ( which conditioned your rubbers and seals) whether the linkages would of freed up without using PB blaster and manual activation? Once finished with the pine sol soak you could then
Return the rack into the ATF brew for some more conditioning

I've never done the pine sol so don't know.

I'm trying to find a simple cheap method/soak for cleaning the dried old gas in the jets. So far boiling them in plain water for an hour hasn't cleared them. 1/2 hour in lemon juice and water same thing though the surface of them is cleaner, holes are still plugged tight.

I have them soaking in rubbing alcohol from last night, about 16 hours so far. Will check when I get home.

Any other ideas guys?
Remember this thread is done on the cheap so keep in mind any methods/solutions have to be easily purchased and available around the house.

dan filipi":131knpd1 said:
Any other ideas guys?
Remember this thread is done on the cheap so keep in mind any methods/solutions have to be easily purchased and available around the house.
Good strong horseradish or wasabi thrown in for the mix! (Always cleared my nasal passages!) :smilie_happy:

Some good ideas so far.

The rubbing alcohol had little or no effect dissolving the gum.

In trying what I have around the house, I've put the jets in aircraft paint stripper.
I'll slosh them around every so often for a day.

Next up I think I'll try soaking them in brake fluid, over medium heat on the BBQ.

I made another video with close up detail of the jets to show their condition right now.
The previous soaking in boiling water for an hour then in boiling water with lemon juice added,
then about 16 hours in rubbing alcohol has cleaned them some but inside there's a ways to go to get them completely clear.

This is also a good video for anyone asking what the jets look like.

Latest posts