Dan's carb reconditioning done on the cheap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just discovered that brake fluid will flame burn off the top like oil burning off the top of water.
Maybe heating brake fluid is not such a good idea, at least not indoors!
Stinks and smokes bad too!

Try the pine sol Dan, there are lots of posts about success. Just don't leave them too long!

dan filipi":j5tn25qa said:
I just discovered that brake fluid will flame burn off the top like oil burning off the top of water.
Maybe heating brake fluid is not such a good idea, at least not indoors!
Stinks and smokes bad too!
:smilie_happy:

Ok....paint stripper is the hot ticket for the brass jets.
It dissolves the old tar like goo like its nothing.
The tiny pin holes are completely clear so no need to prod them with anything. Very cool. I've never liked the idea of poking them for risk of changing their size.

I'm still going to try brake fluid on another pair for curiosity.

The air cutoffs.......they have goo on them.
Going to soak them in gasoline.

I understand you wanting to use only a chemical just strong enough to do the job but not damage rubber parts

When i rebuilt my carb racks.

I used Brake cleaner for Jets, and if that did not do it,

I used Carb Cleaner ONLY for the All Brass ONLY items. That is the Only time I used Carb cleaner, then i put it on the High shelf so that it would get confused with the Brake cleaner.

Then I used Brake cleaner for all alum. parts & Alum. passages, and i bought a water pik at a yard sale for $2.00, I use it to put water through the passages in the carb bodies to make sure they are clear.

I use the boil method, I have a LP turkey fryer, $5.00 at a yard sale, and use Distilled ONLY water, regular tap water wont work.

Then I use the water pik to see if all passages are clear.

I tried using compressed air but i can't really tell if the air is coming out of the passage or out the side of were you are blowing into, with the water pik you can see where the water is coming out of.

Yes brake cleaner on aluminum only and no contact with rubber.
This makes it a no go in my project for the passages since there are rubber o rings in some of them.
I like the water pik idea.
Wonder if it will last pumping the atf mix.

I have not tried this!!!!!

A foot rest and a Carb O-ring are completely different or internal rubber part is different, BUT!! a guy that had the rubber foot pegs on his bike that were very hard, but not cracked, droprf them into a bag of brake fluid for a couple of days and claimed to open the pores of the rubber and make them softer.

A couple days may be too long maybe 30 minutes

I also dont know what they looked like a year later

Here is a link

It's about half the way down

https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ot#p486652

Here's the results of boiling the jets for a full hour in water:

Next up.......Video after soaking in paint stripper and a trick to get the really stuck one's clear.....

carl62cycles":3ptwizwq said:
Great videos Dan :thanks: keep'em coming.Any performance upgrades from 80;s to 83 carbs jet or otherwise that you know off?? :headscratch:
Other than doing a complete cleaning and fine tune adjustments, I think the carbs perform the best they can as they are with no mods.

Another video, cleaning the jets with brake fluid test.

I'm trying to make these vids shorter because they seem to run on too long, I get tongue tied if I try to talk faster though, that or I'll miss something I want to say so please excuse the length.

dan filipi":3mdyfe2s said:
carl62cycles":3mdyfe2s said:
Great videos Dan :thanks: keep'em coming.Any performance upgrades from 80;s to 83 carbs jet or otherwise that you know off?? :headscratch:
Other than doing a complete cleaning and fine tune adjustments, I think the carbs perform the best they can as they are with no mods.

Another video, cleaning the jets with brake fluid test.

I'm trying to make these vids shorter because they seem to run on too long, I get tongue tied if I try to talk faster though, that or I'll miss something I want to say so please excuse the length.

What I was trying to say is that if you know if honda did any upgrades on gl1100 carbs thru the years let say like they did with tranny gear ratios. :popcorn:

dan filipi":q7le2psr said:
Boy this thread is getting long and there's so much more to document.

Cleaning the bowls with brake fluid:

Been a carb reconditioning thread I wasn't expecting a short thread whatsoever.Great work Dan :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Latest posts