Found something… pics coming soon!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on spare engine. The good ole water pump fix.
Getting closer!

Attachments

• 84DBD657-1661-43C6-99D0-7A18AE20A157.jpeg
    84DBD657-1661-43C6-99D0-7A18AE20A157.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0CA895B8-3BB6-41C5-BE6E-D3E8E070C2C0.jpeg
    0CA895B8-3BB6-41C5-BE6E-D3E8E070C2C0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7478EE47-F6D6-4950-B76E-326083459462.jpeg
    7478EE47-F6D6-4950-B76E-326083459462.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • BD72299C-0A69-4113-8AF8-38886485968F.jpeg
    BD72299C-0A69-4113-8AF8-38886485968F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
So, what was the ticking M2C? The valve spring, rocker, water pump ... ??

Okay… swapped out engine and just got another engine in frame.
Breaking news!!! I realize each situation is unique but you have to hear this one. This engine had sat outside with spark plugs in and coolant in radiator. Upon draining the oil appeared okay. I changed filter and oil and to my surprise…. After running bike for about 5 min I drained the oil and I had a milkshake. I was really ticked, since I did replace the water pump and thought I might have a blown head gasket … but not so fast . I took a chance and had some old oil on hand , placed in bike along with some MMO. Ran the bike again for about 5 min, drained the oil and it appeared to be clearing up. Used different oil on the next change( more used oil I found) with additional MMO. Rann again for 5 min and presto!!! No milky oil.
I quickly ran down to o Reilly’s , purchased some fresh oil and filter and gave bike a nice fresh oil change.
Just to be sure, I ran the bike again( remember, this bike sat outside for many years) and again drained the oil. Oil is good!
Lesson learned: just because you have milky oil , it does not necessarily mean you have a blown head gasket or even a cracked engine( rare).
I was ready to throw in the towel but simply changed the oil several times.
I plan to obviously ride it after adding some more MMO or seafoam for a more thorough cleaning but for now, I finally have an engine I can use to start my build . No ticking sounds either :)

A latent question if I may ... why when you realized your ticking was the damaged head/rocker, didn't you just replace the heads instead of the entire engine? (inquiring minds want to know. lol)

A latent question if I may ... why when you realized your ticking was the damaged head/rocker, didn't you just replace the heads instead of the entire engine? (inquiring minds want to know. lol)
My rational was equating a practical approach. I can remove and replace another engine faster than replacing the heads…. But I have to admit, I did consider a head swap.

Compression test and all 4 are exactly at 150. I suspected a blown head gasket since I will sometimes have liquid dripping from right tailpipe. Wouldn’t I have one plug hole read way lower if there was a blown gasket?

Compression test and all 4 are exactly at 150. I suspected a blown head gasket since I will sometimes have liquid dripping from right tailpipe. Wouldn’t I have one plug hole read way lower if there was a blown gasket?
If it was blown bad you would did you change water pump seals? Those are the only way water can possibly get in engine unless plugs where left out and is sit outside

I had a rescue with good compression readings on all four, so I didn't pull heads. Cleaned and repainted the engine, rebuilt the carbs, put it all together and added water (for first test) to the system that poured out the left exhaust. Bad head gasket. Had a spare, so it was a minor setcback. Last I heard, that bike is still purring alkng and keeping my friend happy. So Yes, you can have good compression and still a head gasket leak.

I have no steam exiting the right exhaust which is the culprit, just sooty water/ coolant which will drip from the joint . This is a modified exhaust not stock. Bike runs great. No visible water in oil or radiator but….. the coolant does seem to keep lowering in the overflow tank. I’m suspecting a minor leak in head gasket.
The water pump/seals are new and no leaking from weep hole. Just surprised that I have equal compression.

Okay… new head gasket is on and all is good. I spent $70 on Honda OEM gasket as opposed to some cheap $7 ones.
The water that was leaking out left tailpipe joint is no more. Bike is running great! Did have an issue with coolant level in reservoir slowly dropping… turned out to be the radiator cap.
Just a note that I tried an aftermarket radiator cap and it did not work… went with OEM and all is good.

Now!!!! I can finally begin my “ game of thrones” build!

Okay… new head gasket is on and all is good. I spent $70 on Honda OEM gasket as opposed to some cheap $7 ones.
The water that was leaking out left tailpipe joint is no more. Bike is running great! Did have an issue with coolant level in reservoir slowly dropping… turned out to be the radiator cap.
Just a note that I tried an aftermarket radiator cap and it did not work… went with OEM and all is good.

Make sure that you retorque those heads to 45 if you don't I'll promise you you will be replacing the head gasket again those bolts are notorious to back off after the first heat cycle

Where did you find $7 head gaskets?

Make sure that you retorque those heads to 45 if you don't I'll promise you you will be replacing the head gasket again those bolts are notorious to back off after the first heat cycle
Wow!! Took the bike out a few times and when to retorque and sure enough one bolt had already backed off a bit. I went ahead and retorqued each bolt to 45 ft lbs. should be good to go now.

Latest posts