Getting static on my FM

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wing decided to lay over for a nap in the garage. It laid there for a day, as I was not able to get the bike up.
After up righted for a day i tried to start it. Lights came on but no start.
Took out the voltmeter and found 12v going to the solenoid but 0 coming out. Started to take the wires off and thought let's
jump the posts on the solenoid. Started right up. Now the starter button works and she starts up.

Now the extra lights do not come on. Ran new wire to each light. Now I can not get any station FM on the radio.
I disconnect the lights and the radio works fine. The lights are led to see the side of the road at night.

What do I need to do to have both lights and radio??

Thanks for any help

I am more concerned that you couldn't pick it back up. Back up to the seat, plant your butt on it, grab the passenger grab handle or seat support with one hand and handlebar with the other, and use your legs to walk it back up.

"Now the extra lights do not come on. Ran new wire to each light. Now I can not get any station FM on the radio.
I disconnect the lights and the radio works fine. The lights are led to see the side of the road at night.

What do I need to do to have both lights and radio??"

I presume they worked before? Sounds like there may be a voltage drop when connected? If it does maybe the LED system has a pinched wire or?

Good luck!

With the lights disconnected the fm comes in fine. Connected I get no fm stations.
I ran new wire for both led lights.

The other thing that happened was the digital volt meter went squirrely and quit working. I replaced the volt meter with a new one.

That's what I was thinking. Any way to get rid of it? The noise not the lights.

My problem is I do not know if the fm worked w/ the lights before. I listened to the cd player that holds 15 disc.
So not sure if it was a problem or not.

I'd rather have the lights so people can see me better than have the radio.

You are correct about the RF interference with cheap LED lights. I have done many installations where luckily it is the customers that have purchased their excellent priced lights that have created radio interference problems with mainly AM. I would try a new antenna on your radio just to be sure and also check your power supply voltages which will cause a similar problem.

For what it is worth, in the maritime industry, we are having big problems with LED Navigation lights intefering with radio signals:

USCG LED1.JPG

USCG2.JPG

USCG3.JPG

USCG4.JPG

Hmm. I still have working factory Clarion AM/FM radio on my 81 GL1100I. Considering what is actually on the broadcast airwaves, I think static would be an improvement. The best feature of my radio is the factory digital LED clock in the top fairing panel, the rest is just a novelty, lol!

OK, seriously though, I suspect something has been jarred loose in the accessory circuit of the bike. I'm almost certain there is a noise filter in the radio circuits, but I can't recall where. Were any of the extra lights damaged by the fall? LED lights can be fragile, and act weird if jarred too hard. I'd start by checking all the glass fuses. A contact in the ignition switch could have jarred loose or wonky, it's hard to tell where to start until an individual circuit has been isolated as the source of interference. The starter solenoid glitch is also too coincidental to completely ignore. Something physically broke or rattled apart in the fall, I'd almost guarantee it. A pinched wire, as someone else mentioned, is also a possibility.

Try rewiring a mouse-damaged radio harness sometime, these bike electricals can get tedious, I know!

I just noticed that you have noted an alternator conversion on your bike. I have not done one, yet, but is there any additional component associated with that which might get jarred loose, like a noise filter on the alternator? Just a wild guess.

I'll make a wild guess here...

I've got a Pacifico fairing on my CX500D. It fell over once, and I had a pair of Vise-grips in one of the pockets. Those vise-grips slid down (from right pocket to left) and on the way broke a spare taillamp bulb, and knocked two wires off pins of a wiring harness.

I would check the pockets and wiring areas for similar damage circumstances, particularly the pocket(s) containing the antenna wire, any extensions or adapters going from antenna to stereo, and also the CB splitter, intercom amplifier, etc... and the lighting wiring.

Hmmmm I'm having a problem with the FM side of my radio on my 82 Aspencade, but it's not static, I have FM reception but very low volume (no the mute buttons not on) switch to AM an have tons of volume, when i turn on the CB that's where I get alot of static, wondering if a bad ground on the antenna would cause this ???????????

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210740#p210740:2sca4tmk said:
Winger 82 » 03 Jul 2019, 19:36[/url]":2sca4tmk]
Hmmmm I'm having a problem with the FM side of my radio on my 82 Aspencade, but it's not static, I have FM reception but very low volume (no the mute buttons not on) switch to AM an have tons of volume, when i turn on the CB that's where I get alot of static, wondering if a bad ground on the antenna would cause this ???????????
My experience with the Factory Clarion Radios is probably similar to most. I you have one that still works today, count yourself lucky, or not, lol! In most cases I understand that the control module, the part on the outside with the buttons, etc., is pretty flaky and susceptable to damage, or just failure, in one of many ways. There used to be someone who repaired or rebuilt them, I can't recall who. Of the 4 I have, only one is 100% functional, and the rest will work sporadically by mixing some of the better working modular components, but not always. Modern sat-radio or an I-Pod or mp3 player would be the way to go, and just hide it in the fairing, and use the original speaker covers and control face-plate to conceal new speakers and a decent modern music system.
I use my face-plate on my Silverwing to conceal-carry, and even kept the speakers and antenna to support the illusion of the radio. The best feature of my 1981 GL1100 Clarion system, the one that works, is the LED clock, lol! There isn't hardly anything worth listening to on broadcast radio, at least not in my "neck of the woods".

Not only does my OEM Clarion still work, so does the integrated intercom. I've never seen mention of this, but the bike came (purchased 10/89) with 3 headsets mounted onto 3 helmets that plugged into the bike for listening to the radio thru the helmet and conversing more easily between riders. Was this standard or a premium feature? Thanx, Dave

It was standard.
Sierra electronics in Troy Ohio is the only one's who still work on these radios.

I still have no fm with my lights.
I do have the 15 CD changer and cassette tape to listen to.

Latest posts