GL 1100 Stator Swap-FINISHED!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AApple":1nkoh83a said:
The Clymer manual says there should be a snapring that holds that shaft to the cover...mine does not have that, nor is there a groove for a clip. My point being...the shaft was intended to come out with the cover. At least on the 1000 engines, anyway.
So you are saying you have a 1000 engine??? ( :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: sorry, just trying to complicate things :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

Youse guys.... :Doh2:
:smilie_happy:
I was worried that the gear moving to the side in the engine case was gunna be a problem...I thought there might be a washer on the back-side of that gear that prolly fell down into the engine. When I saw what was in the Clymer manual, I figured there was nothing back there to fall, or they would not have made the shaft come out with the cover. The Clymer manual only covered the 1000 engines, as far as that(trans), so that's what I had to go with at the time. I know I was able to push that shaft out of the cover fairly easily, so I know there was no snapring on it. I guess I could'a looked at my parts book, too, eh? I have all that stuff on a disc.... :Doh2:

Thanks again, ya'll.... hoping to get this turd back together this weekend. :beg:

dan filipi":3gjmfzi5 said:
No 11 hunnert supplements in the back?

Not that delved into this particular issue. I still ain't looked at the Honda manual, but...the parts breakdown you gave earlier is gud enuff fer me. The shaft slid back into the gear easily, so I think I'm otay on it. :thanks:

Joe...the Dr. said to tell you this.... :cheeky:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

well gerry i got my licks in to ....just a little humour for big job ...except for you daughter ...im sure she has us all covered with her experience ....im sure batwing girl would already have it done ... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy: :shock: :mrgreen:

joedrum":1icqny24 said:
well gerry i got my licks in to ....just a little humour for big job ...except for you daughter ...im sure she has us all covered with her experience ....im sure batwing girl would already have it done ... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy: :shock: :mrgreen:
Done already??? She is laughing at us for talking about it for so long! :smilie_happy: (Course she isn't paying of the parts either). As a matter of fact, she is coming up from Florida for her 21st birthday later this month. I could get her to pass on some GW engine tips if we are interested! :smilie_happy:

Ahhh...cain'tcha just feel da luv? :yes:

Checked the vacuum advance, and it's working great. Something that really freeked me out was the advance plate rotates on TINY ball bearings! Dangedest thing I ever done seen, but...it sure makes for a more accurate plate movement. Sweet discovery. :good:
Got a lot of stuff painted this evening. Once I put all the parts in my washer, it blew the paint off, so....I had to skwert some new color on them. I also got the oil pump screen removed. The thing is just about as kleen as it could be. It has MAYBE 4-5 small little chunks of gunk...prolly carbon, on it.
I'm now considering going ahead and replacing the belts. I hate adding any more work to do on this thing, but....they're right there, out in the open right now. They look fine, but...I guess I'll go ahead and put some new ones on, IF I can find them at NAPA. I'll check tomorrow. I could do the belts while waiting on the stator to arrive, which should be Thursday.

AApple":1mhvojel said:
Ahhh...cain'tcha just feel da luv? :yes:

Just funnin ya Joel!

Replace the belts? Yeah! Now would be a good time (and the easiest time) :music:

Don't want to add to your list, but it is also a good time to replace your shifter and tach drive seals. (Those culprits that like to spit oil on your boot while riding)

I had planned on replacing the seals for the shifter, and any other externals that come in the gasket set. :good:
Clutch? Dang..ya'll just don't want me to ride this year, do ya? :crying:
I started to remove the clutch the other day, but I don't have a socket at the house to remove that stoopid nut. I dint really wanna beat it off with a punch/hammer, so....

I just checked my local NAPA....belts are in stock, $22.49 each.... :music:

Just trying to save ya some hassle later since if there is any problem with the clutch basket the engine has to come out to replace it.
Oh well, basket problems are rare and the clutch can be replaced laying on the floor later.

dan filipi":ev299zu1 said:
...the clutch can be replaced laying on the floor later.

:shock: "LATER"? I been layin on the floor for a week!! :Doh2: :smilie_happy:
It only took about 2 hours, but I did get the timing belts changed out this evening. The "old" belts were still in good shape...the PO told me he had just had them changed before I bought the bike. I took that with a grain of salt, but...apparently it was one of the few things he told me that was true. The gears both had the correct marks highlighted with a marker, so it made it much easier to see them.
Got the oil pump screen back in, and got most of the chrome crap cleaned up...or at least all of the grunge off of it. Stator and gaskets will be here tomorrow, so I will be able to install the stator into the rear cover, and prolly get the engine buttoned up, ready to install Saturday. Still got a few more sheet metal parts to paint, but that ain't nuttin but a thang...

btw...both timing belts, and the oil filter, from NAPA, total cost of $53.09. Belts are made by Gates, too. :good:

Otay ya'll...the new stator came in today, and it is now installed, and the engine ready to bolt back into the frame. :yahoo: I'll post the pics tomorrow, but I'll show ya where I machined down the two spots inside the rear cover. Once the new stator was installed, I could see that there was no way in hades it would have ever touched anyway...oh well. You might also be able to see where I rounded the edges of the bosses where the three screws go, to make sure they would not hit on any of the windings, as I have read about. No need to worry with the Rick's stator...the windings don't go anywhere near that area. :good:

newstat4.jpg

I did check the stator electrically before installing. All three yellow wire have good continuity between them, but not between them and the stator itself, either on the bench, or bolted into the rear cover. :yahoo:

I'm tard...Imma gunna go take a nap.... :lazy:

newstat10.jpg