GL 1100 Stator Swap-FINISHED!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:blush:
Otay Gentlemen(and you too, Joe :mrgreen: ). Here's the story....
I rode the 'Wing to work this morning...or, more truthfully..I rode it aboot halfway(26 miles), before it took a poop on me. Stuck me on the side of one of the busiest freeways in Dallas, right in the middle of rush hour. Just up and died..no warning, nuttin. I was in stop/go traffic, running just a smooth as ya please. When I went to take off, and move another 10 feet, it just keeled over...deader-n-doornail. I rolled over to the side as far as I could go. I cranked on it, and all I got in return was belchin from the air cleaner, and fartin out the tailpipes. I was sick...all that work, and now I'm sitting on the side of the road, dangerously close to getting hammered by some goofy wench that can't get out of bed early enough to put on makeup before getting in a car to drive, all the while talking and textin..but I digress...
Called the shop and had a wrecker come pick me up, and we hauled it back to the house, and I went on back to work. All day I just KNEW the timing belts had slipped, and now all of the valves were trashed. I actually spent most of the afternoon looking at Goldwings for sale....yes I did.
Anyway....I got home, ate supper, and trudged back out to the dungeon, totally defeated, but determined to find out what had happened. First, I pulled the belt covers off....son-of-a- :sensored: ...BOTH still in perfect alignment...in time, and tensioned properly. Now what? JOe(joedrum) had mentioned that maybe something else had happened to the pulse generator bolt that I forgot to install the first time...maybe it had come loose. Naw...no way...but...I had to check. I'll tell ya this guys..ain't no-one in da WERLD can get the cover off of the pulse generator faster then me now! I got this crap DOWN! :builder:
So...off comes the cover....nope...bolt is still tight, all the way up inside the rotor...you heard me...inside the rotor. I could still move the rotor in/out, even with the bolt in it. So......in my absolute stoopidity, when I put that bolt in last night, I dint pay attention to it much...just screwed it in and tightened it...what I dint do, was install the friggin WASHER on it... :Doh2: :rtfm:

Can I get any stoopider? So, I finds a washer that apparently goes in that location, install it, put a small dab of lock-tite on the bolt, hit the starter button, and she's running again. I left the cover off, while I crawled under there to watch the rotor spin for a few minutes. All seemed well, so back on goes the cover....and the timing belts covers, MINUS the dadgum inner bolts....Homey ain't playin that :sensored: no mo....
And...just to make everything better, the dang tab that the horns bolt to that I have my air horn mounted on decided to break off, since I been bending that thing back/forth for week now. No problem, tho...a quick zip-tie and she's back on there.... :smilie_happy:

Anyway...ya'll use this thread as an example of how NOT to do this job...learn from my mistakes and suffering...I doubt I will, so someone might as well.

Oh...since this originally started out as a stator problem thread...I figured ya'll might as well know...my charging system is working quite nicely now, thanky bury mooch! With my meter set on Min/Max, I see a max of 15.33v, and a min of 13.5....so, at least I did THAT right... :smilie_happy:

Thanks for all of the support on this guys...you gots no idea how much it helped...even when I was ready to set this turd on fire. I want youse guys to do me a favor, tho...next time ya'll see me post something about werking on the engine on this thing, PLEASE, for Pete's sake, send someone over here to knock me upside my haid..... :Doh2:

And a quick excerpt from the up and coming "Stator Replacement for Dummies" book...
rtrblt.jpg

this is great joel ....im realy pleased it was just you again again and not the bike :smilie_happy: but a buised ego is fix rather easy with a nice ride on a well running oldwing :rocks: :yahoo: so i dont feel to bad for you ...id say your lucky ...ststor works ...screwed the pulse generator twice .....didnt get ran over .....and the bike as good as ever despite you .... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: yep your doing fine .....no wonder they put that on the back of the motor ....no can work on them without screwing it up ...im glad you were as lucky as me when the same bs happen to me :nea: :heat: :builder: :head bang: :builder: :Doh2: :doh: :rant: :rant: :hihihi:

Well..I tried..had to turn around and head back home....a new thread in the engine forum is about to get started... :crying:

btw...this thread has to be the perfect final argument for going to an external alternator.... :sensored:

AApple":3dayfdqp said:
Well..I tried..had to turn around and head back home....a new thread in the engine forum is about to get started... :crying:

btw...this thread has to be the perfect final argument for going to an external alternator.... :sensored:

Well.........that WAS mentioned near the beginning of this thread :whistling:

:hi: You did a good job for not doing it before. I am going to be doing it soon, You have done a great service posting all of this and I am sure I will really appreciate it more when I get into mine.

Thanks again for your experiences in doing this. :clapping:

Pray for me! :beg:

Well...otay, but...the problems I was having, and the solution/fix, will be posted in the other thread, "I just can't catch a break...(more problems)"
Suffice to say, ALL of my post stator install issues were entirely my doing...or not doing, or something along that line. :Doh2: :rtfm: :Doh2:

And, as a final note in this thread, the stator itself is working GREAT, and charging properly. When I first finished, it was NOT charging as much as I had thought, or hoped. But after putting a few miles on it, it is now charging properly. :clapping: