GL 1100 Stator Swap-FINISHED!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
locate pulse generator connector probably in front of battery, (blue,white/blue,yellow, white/yellow wires) check for ohms resistance somewhere between 1100 and 1300 at 68 degrees F. Air gap somewhere between 16 and 35 thousandths. This is on 84 -1200 but the pulse generators where on rear of this engine before being moved to front of engine in 85 so it's probably the same.

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :shock: :shock: :shock: :headscratch: :headscratch: :head bang:
Did ya get that?

Otay fellers..here's what I gots....
I check voltage to all of the ignition components that should have it...they does. I checked the resistance of the pulse generators...they are spot on to what the manual says they should be. Imma tinkin, the only thing left is the rotor is not turning. I thunk aboot it for a while, looked at the pulse generator, and decided I could get the cover off of it without removing the swingarm. I wanted to see if it was turning. So...with the help of an 8mm, 1/4" socket, a wrench, and my trusty, flexible carb adjusting tool(it's got a 1/4" drive on the flex end), I got the cover off. I reached up to check the rotor, and... :rant: :sensored: it spun about 180 degrees, both ways. WTF?!?!? So, I decided to remove the housing....of course, it will NOT come off with the swingarm in place, BUT...it moved far enough for me to see the drive pin is still in place. I pushed it all back together and check the rotor again...solid! :yahoo: I put a couple of bolts back in the housing to hold it to the engine, and cranked it over and....IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
gene.jpg

Sadly..it only ran for about 20 seconds or so, then started sputtering, and died. :crying: I didn't get the advance plate on tight enough, I suppose. Anyway, I crawled back under there to look, and...the dang rotor is spinning freely again! What the heck is goin on here? What holds the rotor to the shaft, anyway? I mean, what keeps it from moving rearward? I have the plastic spacer thingy on there, then the rotor, then the housing. What the heck holds the rotor on? Did I loose something, or have I mis-assembled this thing? I don't have any leftover parts...I put everything in baggies as I removed them...
I quit for tonight. Mama has been really kewl aboot me spending all this time on it, especially today. I'll have to pull the swingarm tomorrow evening, and try to get a better idea of what the heck is goin on. The Clymer manual SUX for this...it only has line drawings.
Anyway...THANKS for all of the support, and ideas. If someone can just explain HOW the rotor is supposed to be held onto the shaft, I'd be VERY appreciative. :thanks:

WELL :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: !!! Look what I just found in the Honda service manual, under "Ignition Troubleshooting"...SON OF A B :sensored: H!!
rotor.jpg

rtrblt.jpg

Wonder what the heck happened to that bolt? I don't really remember taking one out.... :rtfm: :Doh2:

LOL! Thanks Bob! I was just posting that same diagram. I'm such a freekin mulrooney....I still don't know what happened to the bolt I took out....
Assuming I can find a/the bolt, and install it tomorrow evening...this thing may be running! I'm gunna hafta look thru my bags/boxes to see if I can find a loose bolt....
I feel so stoopid, yet at the same time I'm so relieved.... :doh:

im not the only one who can do that .....thanks joel now were a club of two members ...i didnt loose the bolt i just didnt tighten it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :Doh2: :rtfm: :doh: :mrgreen: :hihihi:

Thanks guys here all this time I thought i was the only one in that club. The older i get the more my CRS kicks in. The wife said the other day when i was gone for 7 hrs to HF, she thought it might be time to commit me :cheeky: :cheeky: Just out having fun at all the tool stores and u pull it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: However I think I did see a man in a white jacket watching me from the back of an ambulance for a while. I thought I was getting paranoide.
:music2: :music2: :music2: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Don't beat yourself up over this, Joel. Just put the bolt back in and be done with it.
P.S. like I said, I messed up on that thing too.
Only those that never do anything never make any mistakes.

Yeah...well..that really don't make me feel any better, knowing others have done similar stuff. But...at least I dint have to pull the dang engine back out, so that's a gud thing. I STILL don't know if the new stator fixed my charging issue...I'll find out this evening! :thanks: :moped:

:clapping: :clapping:
She's DONE! FINALLY! :Doh2:
I just got back from a quick spin down the hiway...I did find the bolt for the rotor...in the bag that had all of the ignition stuff in it... :doh: Got it installed, hooked my multimeter up to the batt, and fired that mutha up. I'm a little disappointed tho...the new stator is only givin me around 13.5v with the head/tail/runnin lights on. It's better than it was, but I was certainly expecting more, especially since I know it was charging at 14.5> before. I cut the terminals off of the new stator and soldered them all up nice and purdy. I may swap back to my original Reg/Rec this weekend, to see it that makes any improvement. I may also need to put some new plugs in it soon....it doesn't seem to be running as well as it was before, but it still runs otay.
I'll wrap this thing up now. Imma gunna re-do my write-up, with some new pics, and we'll have it available as a "Tutorial", without all of the chit chat that is in this thread, from everyone trying to help me out. And to ALL of youse guys, a big hearty Texas "THANKY!" :thanks: :salute:

It's been riding weather here for several months now..and I been missin a lot of it! :smilie_happy: Final test this mornin, as I am riding to werk...we'll see how it all goes...hope nuthin falls off...myself included! :moped:

scdmarx":qcok0gu0 said:
Maybe you should check for anymore of those left over bolts? :smilie_happy:

Contrary to popular belief it is NOT true that there should always be left over bolts :hihihi: