GL 1100 Stator Swap-FINISHED!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:smilie_happy:
I considered rollin the whole mess outside, and de-greasin it, but then I thought....naw...it'll just get derty again. I cleaned the stuff I wuz werkin on just to keep me hands clean(er)....

AApple":2azgrus2 said:
Otay fellers(and fellettes)...I jumped in wid both feet today, and started ripping the engine out of the 'Wing, to replace the Texas-fried stator. I worked for about 2 hours, and I'm aboot 1/2 way out...I think. Actually, most of the first hour was spent just staring at it....hoping it would just pull itself out...but the son of a gun never moved, so....I had to get my hands dirty.
No pics today, but I'll get some tomorrow as I attempt to get the dang thing out of the frame. Haven't bought a stator yet...having trouble finding a genuine Honda stator. It has been discontinued from Honda, so....I'll likely wind up with an aftermarket one...still researching them.
Anyway....I'll try to keep tabs on any specific "oh-ohs" I make in the process, in hopes of saving someone else from making the same boo-boo. One thing I will say right off the bat....I shoulda took this turd to the carwash first, and blew all the crud off of the bottom of the engine/frame...yeeeUCK! :Doh2:
Well...wishes me luckies for a speedy recovery! :beg:

Thanks for Posting this I am fixing to do the same thing here in a couple of months so it will be VERRRy Helpful. !! :good:

:shock: Well...I don't know about that, Frank...I seem to have run into a major snag....
HELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!

Ok guys...I finished up installing everything today, except the tupperware. Dam thing won't start. At one point, it backfired thru the exhaust...sounded like a .45...neighbors were NOT amused. I took a plug out, and it is not firing...except when I release the start button, then it gives me a little fizzle. I worked the kill switch back/forth many times, and the key switch also. Not gunna happen, it says. Soooo.... :rant: I pulled the dang belt covers back off :rant: :rant: :rant: to double check the timing...it is spot on, on both sides.

What the he!! did I do? This turd was runnin before just fine. Is it possible I messed something up on the pulse generator somehow? Can't see what it would be...all I did was clean it some with air...
I GOTTA get this thing goin. If I can't get it figured out tomorrow, I might roll this b :sensored: h out in the yard and set it on fire.....I quite disgusted right now.... :sensored: :sensored: :sensored:

AApple":11vcss9b said:
I took a plug out, and it is not firing...except when I release the start button, then it gives me a little fizzle.
:Doh2: :rtfm:
:mrgreen:

Otay..so how the he!! would I manage to get the ignition timing 180 out? The advance mechanism/"rotor" in the pulse generator is keyed to the shaft....it'll only go one way. :headscratch: I never turned the engine with the belts off.
Everything is plugged in...water temp, fan, neutral switch, oil pressure, pulse generator....what else is there? I dint take anything else loose.

I'm gunna go sleep on it for now. Might even read the manual..... :head bang:

AApple":2tbwp1wf said:
AApple":2tbwp1wf said:
I took a plug out, and it is not firing...except when I release the start button, then it gives me a little fizzle.
:Doh2: :rtfm:
:mrgreen:

:head bang:
Sounds to me like a wiring problem. I think you should retrace your steps and go over all the wires you had unplugged or disconnected. Maybe you have something reversed? Or grounded? Or not grounded?

joedrum":3vpzi262 said:
im sure you can put the rotor on 180 degrees off joel ive done it to ....unless my memory is off ,,,,it usealy is off and out of service :headscratch:
I've done it too Joel.

If it is 180 out then you have a choice of pulling the engine to move the rotor or swapping the coil primary wires.
(I know, difficult choice)

Little or no spark concerns me though.
Are you sure the 4 pin plug from the pickups is connected? Connections clean and tight?
Maybe the spark plug is fouled now. Have you checked spark at the others? New spark plug?

Post what you've found and where your at so far.

dan filipi":ba4jvi8s said:
joedrum":ba4jvi8s said:
im sure you can put the rotor on 180 degrees off joel ive done it to ....unless my memory is off ,,,,it usealy is off and out of service :headscratch:
I've done it too Joel.

If it is 180 out then you have a choice of pulling the engine to move the rotor or swapping the coil primary wires.
(I know, difficult choice)

Little or no spark concerns me though.
Are you sure the 4 pin plug from the pickups is connected? Connections clean and tight?
Maybe the plug is fouled now. Have you checked spark at the others? New plug?

Post what you've found and where your at so far.

:headscratch: I don't get it..HOW can the "rotor" be off? It has a keyway in it that fits on the tiny pin on the drive shaft...HOW can it be off? Unless I missed there being TWO keyways in the advance mechanism?

Dan":ba4jvi8s said:
swapping the coil primary wires.
You mean the wire going to the plugs, or the connector ON the coils themselves?
Guys...I know everything that I removed has been plugged back in properly...it ain't that many connections.

Back later...talkin to Dan on da phone... :thanks:

:rant: :rant: :rant:
motorcycle-fire.jpg

I feel your pain! I'm in the middle of a Stator/Clutch/Water pump change myself. I thought I had all the parts, but no. I'm on my way to Harbor Freight for a gasket punch set. Checked the vacuum advance and found that the diaphragm was leaking badly, luckily I had a spare that's in a lot better shape. Also found out one of the "O" rings on the intake had been installed improperly and was missing about 25% (my bad). Kinda explains why I was having trouble getting the carbs balanced. I appreciate all the knowledge of folks that have been down this road. It really helps.

My gues is the plug wires on wrong coils to the wrong plugs.....I did that once....changed out all of my wires at once and it wouldn't start, back fired and seemed way out by 180......it was because I connected the wires to the coils wrong. (You know that old story on the back of every box of plug wires that says, "change one at a time" I shoulda listened. :oops:

If that is not it, then it is something simple....there just isn't much to these engines.

I don't have the answer, but I'm thinking "crank-no start...until he lets go of the start button" has to be some kind of a clue. What would rob the spark only when the start button is depressed? If the timing was 180 out, wouldn't it still spark, just at the wrong time? Also, Joel mentioned removing only one spark plug for testing. Would be good to know for sure what the other plugs are doing. One more question: Is the starter solenoid somehow wired in to the ignition circuit?

Just thinking out loud. :popcorn:

From what you are saying, my thought something with the plug or wiring at the pulse generator since the ignition module charges the internal capacitors and the spark actually happens on discharge. That being said, the function of the pulse generator is to trigger a transistor to discharge the capacitor through the coil to make a spark. I've had mine backfire sometimes rarely when I turned off the ignition switch. I would verify that your battery is fully charged and triple check your connections and grounds. Also check the wiring at the little ignition modules that are screwed to the side of the frame on the left side under the false tank. I have to watch them carefully when remove and remount my failring to make sure I don't pinch or cut a wire.

:fiddle: The plug wires were never removed from the coils. They were only removed from the plugs, and then laid up on the frame. I talked to Dan this morning, and we discussed the 180 out thing, even tho I still don't see how that is possible. I swapped the wiring on the coils themselves after our discussion...not the plug wires, but the wires from the pulse generator. Made no difference. I did pull all 4 plugs..none are fuel fouled. None will give me any spark while cranking. I sometimes get a little "zitz" when first pushing the start button, and sometimes when releasing the button. The engine was running perfect before. I have concluded that I must have done something to the pulse generator to make it stop working. Don't know what that could be, but....
I'm off to remove the dam rear tire and swingarm, so I can get to the generator. I gotta make sure the thing is even turning, first. I know the drive pin is in the shaft, and the advance mechanism(rotor) is keyed onto the pin...at least it was when I bolted the cover on.
So....now I'm prolly gunna be looking for a good pulse generator.... :swoon:

Does anyone know how to test the pulse generator? Can I tie into it with my scope and see a waveform? I'm thinkin of doing that before dismantling this thing....right after I eat some dinner....Mama's callin...

I had to go to an emergency call so I'm on my phone but wanted to say before you go through all that make sure the igntion is even getting power and tone out the wires leading from the pulse generators to to the spark units.
Need to look at wiring diagram to do these checks.