GL1000 family owned 30+ years

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra 427 V8

Reaction score
My Bike Models
76 GL1000, Norton 750 , Triumph T160 , 49 Matchless G80 500 rigid , TL250 .
Hi , the GL1000 was my dads , I helped him fix it up when he got it , it was first registered in 77 but im sure it's a 76 , it has 23000 on the clock , my dad passed in 2011 and the wing sat for 10 years in my garage until 1 year ago , I have done new timing belts and tensioner bearings , done up all the brakes stainless pistons rebuilt master cylinders etc , re-kitted the carbs and finally got them sorted , i have cleaned the tank , replaced the coils with some std aftermarket ones , fitted headlight relays and a ignition relay , it has good chrome as my dad got some plating done , I did have to plate the handle bars ,i rebuilt the starter basic clean out and and grease and new brushes , I spent days rebuilding the muffler and redid the mounting studs , lucky I can weld thin stuff I have yet to replace the spokes , I have some nice stainless ones , has anyone on here had their rims anodised ? I think the DID rims have a certain amount of magnesium and I was told the platers don't like that , or bought new rims ? Any suggestions welcome, and it's getting nice new red paint very soon , so it tidy and goes well , just needs last bits done . Cheers from NZ
20211112_170734.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! I have a red '75 that will be my next project. If you plan to re-spoke, I would consider clear powder coating (polished first). Actually, just cleaning and annual waxing will keep them nice.

Cheers , thanks .

Latest posts