GL1000 shifting to neutral issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1975 GL1000 Goldwing
2018 GL1800 Goldwing DCT Tour
2010 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic
I have a 1975 GL1000 that I couldn’t shift into neutral at all while the bike was running. I adjusted the clutch this week. The adjustment screw was screwed all the way in. I adjusted it out 3/4 turn after contact and adjusted the cable as needed. I can now shift into neutral but it’s very difficult. Yesterday after riding for a few minutes I shifted into neutral and killed it. Tried to start it and it cranked but there was no fire. The neutral light was on and I was anble to move the bike without pulling the clutch. After looking at a few things, I tried shifting it into first then back to neutral and it started. Is this an indication that there may be a sensor issue or just one of the joys of owning a classic?

If the neutral light is on, you should not have trouble starting. But, you might have a failed neutral diode (or more likely a dirty contact) Clean ALL contacts and life will be much better. One of the joys of a vintage bike. BTW, change your belts! And, inspect closely the connector from the back of the alternator (three yellow wires), correcting as necessary.

I don’t know anything about the neutral diode. Everything that I have read indicates that when the diode fails the starter won’t work. That’s not what is happening here. The engine is turning over but the plugs aren’t firing. Can you confirm that my problem is a symptom of the neutral diode failing?

Change the neutral switch. Located between the bottom of the engine and the lower right frame rail. It is a bugger to change, you must loosen the engine enough to lift it about and inch to create clearance to remove the switch. But before you remove the neutral switch, check the diodes and wiring going to the switch.

BTW - welcome and enjoy your Classic Goldwing.

Later, Bud...

One thing that may impede the ability to shift properly is old oil/wrong oil. I had mine stop shifting well and changed the oil, everything started working properly.

The oil change was due to the oil being dirty, Put Castrol GO 4T 20W-50. The oil I picked is for higher temperatures we have here. Been using that oil for a number of years.

Why the oil was dirty is a rant for another time!

The oil change was due to the oil being dirty, Put Castrol GO 4T 20W-50. The oil I picked is for higher temperatures we have here. Been using that oil for a number of years.

Why the oil was dirty is a rant for another time!

A dirty oil rant….could be fun

Hi All. RobGW here. New to the chat. I have a 85 Gl motor in a 1100 frame. Completed the mod. last year. Runs great , still having "teething" issues. I notice gear changing is difficult at times. What is the best grade oil for "85" GL1200 motor. Any insight.

@Workinman the Castrol I listed is motorcycle oil, JASO rated.

@pidjones the 20w-50 is for the high temperature environment in which the wing operates here.

Castrol also makes the standard grade for more normal operating environments.
May be JASO rated, but 20W50 is too thick for a GL1000. At any temperature. Also could make clutch plates stick.

Latest posts