hooch blew a head gasket

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On your second picture down, of the combustion chamber, if you zoom in, there is a line that goes from the bolt hole at 5 o'clock over to the CC and continues to the spark plug. Could this be a crack?

Left CC

I see the same thing.... :Awe:

image.php

pics
image.php

head seems as flat as can be ...used strait edge on it seems perfect

image.php

block seems same way ...just as flat as can be it can be ..will clean more and gasket also ...

i looked at that good brian and joel...it all seemed on top of things ...this might be a good sign that it was leaking there and no head crack ...im having trouble finding a head so far ..and i might clean everything up and try again ..more pic later after more cleaning of things

Is your straight edge long enough to cross the head lengthwise? Sure doesn't look like it sealed evenly. I really doubt there can be a crack leaking that bad that can hide.

well gasket back on with rtv this time will see how this goes ...just basically snug right now waiting an hour to torque it down completely ....it going to rain here all night and this way it all button up ...and trying something different ...i was quite impress with the milling marks all in the copper ..so it did compress some it also was a great sign that the milling job was good ...i dont have a good feeling this is going to work but im hoping so

no brian ..as i said when i cleaned up the copper gasket all i saw was perfect imprissions of the milling marks ..so gasket did compress ...it was going to rain here ..and i put it all together so things were button up ..and will try it later today ..but im not thinking its going to work ..i hope it does ...i cant get by the fact it seems the other side is fine ..if i had to bet on things im thinking i need a new head ...but there are variables here i have not much experience at ..so im open for success and hoping ...im going to have copper gasket work ..just to see them all nice and tough looking and the old gasket right there ..theres no comparison ..annealing may be in the future soon LOL

Hey Joe, can you give us a reminder of the setup? Which year heads, what engine, C5 and such? It was hard to keep track of the changes over time.

motor is a 86 1200 motor ....heads and cam carriers are 1100 ...cams are 76 early 371 cams from 1000 set up ...pistons are notched so they dont hit the 1200 pistons ...the c5 is a four position advance setting with programable advance from computer is possible and has been done by paul the owner of c5 ignitions ...the carb system is a weber licence motorcraft carb progressive two barrel from the dft family of carbs and the biggest made of the dft carbs at 32-34 throttle plates...carb is highly modified and is nothing like it was made stock ...sitting on a type4 vw carb mount with stainless steel bathroom grab bar runners from home depot store...i did this after shovelking a member came up with this ..i call it the shovelking induction system....sitting on cold induction gaskets to keep fuel charge cold all the way to the heads ...thats pretty much it ...a complete parts mixing set up to provide performance and extreme reliability ...now fixing to get copper gasket to up the reliability factor even more ....

Thanks Joe! I am not real good at much of this, but is it possible with the changes that the compression has been increased to the point it is more than the gaskets could handle?

Gerry i don't think compression is up to a point of gasket failure ..i think the blame is mostly on my shoulders and the piss poor wiring this bike had ..and where sometimes the fan would not come on ...when it was supposed to ..i would check it and it would work and then later at times it wouldn't ...also the the heat gauges and stuff never have worked good either ...so this whole deal is my fault mostly and the lack of funds to fix it all ....im in the process now of rewiring the whole bike ...and things are getting done .

ok today events went good in my view ...yesterday i replaced the head that was leaking water and redid it with rtv sealant ...today i started the bike and it ran different ..hanging in there running and running much longer than yesterday ...but then eventually died ..so i took plugs out ..they were dry ...hmmmm so i went to the starter to spin it to see if had water in the cylinder on that side ....starter did want to go ....hmmm..i thought sheesh it seems hydro locked ...so i took plugs out of the other side that i thought was good and spun the starter and water came out ..wow so both side were leaking yesterday it seem ..my exhaust sweeps up and i guess the one side i thought was good really wasn't firing enough to make steam come out ...sooooo i put the plugs back in the side i redid yesterday and bike cranked right up and ran on two cylinders with plugs out on other side and the silicone rtv was still holding good ....

this confirms my head is not the problem and using coppercoat on copper gasket is not good in my opinion ...and the rtv held and is not even recomended for head gasket use ...so both heads will be coming back off and a better sealant used ..like aviation sealant i want something that brushes on this time ..feel like hooch is close to being up and going soon now .....great day when figure out things and the path to go ....ill take anybody opinions on sealant as im not that up on these kind of things ..most of the time i make all my gasket out of cereal boxes and other things LOL ..i feel the copper head gaskets is going to be a good mod for hooch ... :heat:

Good reads? I'm not so sure. I'm more confused than before.

Anneal, or don't. Use a sealer, or don't. Which sealer if you do? One site says their sealer is the best while the next site says theirs is. And then there are those that say you gotta use O rings.

Me personally I think the clamping force isn't sufficient but I hope I'm wrong.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189016#p189016:17182xhp said:
joedrum » 27 minutes ago[/url]":17182xhp]
yes the info is confusing but its good to read it all ...then gamble ...what else can you do ..
Yeah much like the single carb deal.

well what got me was all the people who used oil or grease applied to metal gaskets and no sealer of any kind ..and then sealer and gasket maker people saying how oil had to be completely off metal and cooper gaskets or it was going to be a complete failure ....

well ive got the other head off again now ...i can say without a doubt ill never use coppercoat again personally ..it dries hard and is a tough cleanup ...and the proccess of using it is lengthy and stupid application ...making plenty of time for foreign material to stick to it while putting on coat after coat to get enough build up ...sheesh never again for me ever..

Latest posts