Hooch breaks a belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic hopefully
image.php

My caveman valve keeper installer rigged together ...cut battery clamp and c clamp...it worked :hihihi: ...

I hope this works out for ya, Joe! I also hope you can find a way to cover/protect those belts so this won't happen again...sheet metal, plastic, anything to keep debris out of the pulley teeth.

I’m not putting much hope in this working ... I’m kind of worried about the exhaust valves sealing good ...all of them really ...so I wasn’t going to waist a head gasket on this attempt ...

Early indication seem to lead to everything ok ...the valve replacement certainly seems to indicate ok ...bike cranked right up ....I did get stream coming from the exhaust but it’s been unhooked for awhile and I’m thinking it had water in it ..it basically rains here everyday ....bike is outside ...it seemed to clear up ...I saw no issues from the radiator or the oil so far ...I ran it till it got warmed up ..and then turned the fan on a bit ....it doesn’t take long to warn up in this Fla. weather....when it cools down I’ll check things over and run it again ...i rev it a few times at the end ...rev it a few times at the end and rev nice good power ..the hooch bike rocks the whole bike when rev ...so far good

Fingers still crossed LOL

I’m not so confident now ... I’m seeing that aircraft sealant dripping down on the exhaust and burning a bit on the header ...saw no more stream on second run ..I’m not so sure this aircraft sealant is even suppose to be used on head gaskets ...it’s something I got that Eric suggested when I was trying copper head gaskets ...still saw no mixing of oil and water yet ...but the bike was missing a bit this time I ran it at idle ..when rev it seemed to run fine ...so I’m not going to like test ride it or anything ...when it cools I’ll probably tear it back down ..will check plugs first ...anyway I’m for sure no fan of aircraft sealant to say the least ...doesn’t seem to handle heat at all ...it could be idle is not not set right on carb right now ....I did change things on it ...I’ll look for mixing fluids in a bit

Ahh good lunch ... well so far ..there’s no contamination going on at the moment ...I’m a bit confused ...head gasket holding it seems ...I’m going to do a thumb compression test ...next lol

Hmmm well the thumb compression test went good it seemed ....both sides seemed to be the same ...so im thinking I need a bit more gas at idle ......will work on that ...seems head gasket is holding ...I will run it again after I adjust the idle ...

Well I t did need some induction system work it was leaking air a bit ...and I did increase idle jet some ...bike ran well it’s cooling off now ...everything looking good so far ...bike idling well and revs well ...when it cools I’ll check things over again ...if things all work out I’ll get a new head gasket and put it on ...still just testing ...very pleased so far as always big power and fast rpm off idle ..I also need another new timing belt ...so cash out lay so is vertically nothing ...have to see what it it cost to get valves shipped here ...

People wonder why I try things like using old head gasket ..I do it to learn things ..what’s possible and so on ...still not sure all this is good ..this is just third run and I’ve never ran it very long yet ...I can say motor is quiet ...not missing and showing good power ....I’m inside cooling off right now it’s just really hot here ...I’m not advocating people reuse head gaskets in any way ...

Aviation sealer 3 is great but it is a non hardening gasket material that would more than likely leak or melt a little. If tension is correct it will more than likely hold a seal, don’t know if it will eventually go brittle with compression temperatures. I usually only use it on one side of cover/pump gaskets etc to hold them in place and to make it easy when tearing back down components. Just make sure that you glue your gasket to the removable component so that clean up is easier.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211193#p211193:3r3obwg2 said:
joedrum » 47 minutes ago[/url]":3r3obwg2]
It didn’t work on the copper gaskets and it not going to work now ...bike needs to come apart ...something else might have worked but not this stuff ...just a joke ...
You’re not honestly disappointed reusing the head gasket didn’t work, are you Joe?

The biggest reason these OEM gaskets can’t be reused, is the compression ring is already compressed. I’m sure you know that.

No I’m not .....wish I had found something to use besides aircraft sealant ..it just not going to do anything but keep melting out ...it actually still holding compression and running fine ...but I’ve seen enough ...the sealant is just nothing to be used around head heat ... I’m sure it’s great for for other things like putting cases together ...but it’s a joke around head heat ...it rains everyday here ..I need to come up with some kind of shelter to work under ..get more parts ..these are the worse condition I’ve ever work in ...being in a rich neighborhood sheesh ..I’m so out of place LOL