Hooch breaks a belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics
image.php

Well got a bit bigger easy out and went after it ...nothing to loose ...who knows when but these heads suffered from someone way over tightening the spark plugs in them and that was the end of this bike ..it looks like it was very low mile bike when this happen ..from the look of the cams and carrier ...this plug was so galled to the head ..that it took out the head right along with the plug ...and where the easy out had no grip on the plug ..that part broke away too ..and that part of the plug is still in there ...wow

image.php

This is how much force it took to get to really make garbage out of this head :fiddle: :builder: but as stated I’m very happy to have like brand new cams and carrier :swoon:

Pics
image.php

Seeing no sign here of oil water mix

image.php
z
Or here either ..wish I would have drained the block first ..but it was still obvious nothing leaked

image.php

Or here ...

image.php

Or here water that drained out around head ...

image.php

Or here ..plugs look great ...
Hmmm so I’m well pleased ...didn’t run it but three times ..but I’d say it all totaled to 30 plus minutes ...I’m going to do a leak down tes with some diesel to check valves out :yes: :headscratch:

Pic
image.php
w
Intake Sid got valve leaking almost in thirty minutes ...I’ll have to do something here

Other side all good ..I’ll do some work here starting in the morning ...for sure this head is doing good enough to get new head gasket ..and get hooch back on the road ... I’m very fortunate thar the head wasn’t damaged much in belt breakage...

I’m thinking of sacrificing the mechanical fuel pump and tach drive gear and stem ...loosing the tach don’t brother me at all ...not needed really

Hmmm is like to v
S
Change the entire front end ...maybe a magna front end with taller forks going on ...I think it would be more stable ...what I need bit longer wheelbase ...

Pic
image.php

Just got the seat sitting there ...has to come down in the front ...but with the longer 1200 swing arm of about 3”...it looks like the bike will look at ...comes right to the back of the tail light bracket ...it will for sure have to be modded quite a bit to go on and come off easy ...certainly no going backwards to slip out like stock seat does...

:useless: zPics
image.php

Massive modding to,get seat down on the 1000 bike ...to seat and bike ..

image.php

Pretty much like it will be ...I like the fact it’s lower than the 1000 seat and a bit further back ...looks like it will ok and not out of place looking ...

Now time to do some valve work on the head ...got one intake valve not passing leak down test :builder:

Pics
image.php

This is my caveman backyard valve work ..using a green scrubby and valve spring pressure to place it flat and twist by hand to grind the seat some ..takes some getting use to ..but you can do a rather good job like this and there’s no grit to worry about ..getting in valve guild and stuff ..have to have good clean flush set up to do real valve grind method ..this is much safer and nothing taken apart ...

image.php

Well this didn’t take long ...no leaking now ...this head is ready to use on bike with new gasket ...very pleased I’ll clean things up now ..and start with clean chambers ..eventually take old gasket off and clean there when install time comes

Well I have a head gasket coming ....probably get here end of week .....need to do some rigging to get the seat finished ..I think I’m going to like this seat ..I hope it holds up ...looks to be man made leather of some kind ...it’s good hooch has got a backrest you need it ...to stay in the saddle....really need to do some brake work also ..sheesh I hate brake work ...

I’m very pleased with the head ..still holding in leak down test ...should do really well on motor ...I’m thinking very seriously of taking fuel drive and stem off the cam on other side of motor ...so I can just get rid of the fuel pump housing for tack drive I don’t need no tach anyway...so things going slow but it’s getting there :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211355#p211355:2pajw2fs said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 pm[/url]":2pajw2fs]
Well I have a head gasket coming ....probably get here end of week .....

I’m very pleased with the head ..still holding in leak down test ...should do really well on motor ...I’m thinking very seriously of taking fuel drive and stem off the cam on other side of motor ...so I can just get rid of the fuel pump housing for tack drive I don’t need no tach anyway...so things going slow but it’s getting there :hihihi:

You're such a hot rodder! I really like you're valve cleaning technique, I'm going to use that one some day.

I like how the seat sets back some. That's my problem with the K&Qs, they shove your junk up onto the shelter. This looks much more comfortable. Needs a seat pan to base from, though. Maybe just some pounded and pop-riveted sheet metal, or fiberglass if you're set up for it.

ThanKs Kerry ...there are variations to the backyard valve jog ...on things you can use to cut with ...dry wall sanding screen is one ..all the way to the finest sanding paper folded ...

Yah I really had to cut a lot out of the seat pan ....plus it was dam near broke in the middle part of the pan anyways ...so some pretty major work there to do ..need to come up with forward mounting of the seat also ..the back is fine ...not really sure what 1100 seat year this is ..might be 83 yr ..the longest one of the 1100 bikes ...

Main reason I sent it for free. Keeping it taking up room was worthless to me was hoping you would get some use out of it. Was thinking along the route of moving the foam and vinyl to the old pan but guess that works too.

Yes flipflop ....as said the cams and carriers are great parts as is one one of the heads ...just didn’t get lucky on the left head ...the one I needed most ....very pleased there with the parts I got ...as for the seat ..it is much longer than the 1000 seat and would not fit the 1000 pan and look right ..I’ll have to do some more work on the seat to make it right and fitted ...with the longer wheelbase hooch has the seat looks alright ...sits lower I’m thinking I’ll like that a lot ....thank you very much for sending the parts they were greatly needed .....

How can you be so sure they’re different just because the cams are different? I don’t have any heads left to check, but it makes manufacturing sense to set them up the same.

I'm pretty sure that the heads are the same for both sides. I think the 1200 EFI heads were slightly different because of the cam position sensors, but all others I've seen are the same.

1100 Bare heads & cam carriers share 1 part number throughout the 80-83 series, left and right. 12200-463-010.

If you're gonna cut off the worm drive for the tach, all you should need is a blanking seal, like what was originally on the other side at the back before you started using early cams. I've got a used one here if you need it? it's available new too. 91209-463-013.