Hooch breaks a belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But did it damage the head? I see it died in the open position, but did it do significant damage to the head or the valve itself? I’m following along, but I don’t really understand everything that’s happening, so I’m trying to learn. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bolts that hold the carriers are the same spacing. The spindles that the rockers ride are not. Just because it bolts on doesn’t mean the spindles are the same spacing.
0BC7E140-B615-486F-A938-855B7EDBF318.jpeg

0DFDBEF1-7523-480F-BDA8-895D3F52BD99.jpeg

All it takes is a toothpick to compare the centers and you will see, they’re different.

The shorter length pad-side will cause huge lift of intake valve and even more on exhaust valve. Actual true measurements would have to be done with something in the hydraulic actuators to keep them at where they will be when pumped up.

I believe it will be nearly half an inch of lift, much more than 1000/1100.

As per timing, the cams will need to be advanced on the left side to lift at the proper time. (About 2 teeth on the gear as I recall) and retard it on the other side. I could get the left side to have decent compression. I could not find a spot where the right side would clear. As I mentioned with adjustable cam gears it might be made to work. My brain can’t process it all.

They bolt on and turn over like they’re okay, but crank it up, let the adjusters charge and you’ll have contact. As I mentioned, you can get a spot where they’ll all clear, but one or two or four will have low to no compression. The hydraulic rockers block vision of when valves are opening or closing.

The way that might work was hinted at by desertrefugee. The 1500 valks had solid lifters. I don’t think they will work because the valk uses the same arm on both intake and exhaust. The four cylinder Wings had rocker A and rocker B slightly offset between adjusters and pads.

One thing I found odd last summer was the greater exhaust lift. I just went and looked and now know why. The exhaust spindle is closer to the head than the intake spindle.
9EDDA8A4-523E-4676-AF82-C358BD38DB85.jpeg

The 1200 valves are the same length, springs are the same, the difference is in the keepers. You could use the 1200 exhaust valves in the other heads as long as you use the same keepers. I did it.

I looked a bit for other crossover rockers but that’s a needle in a haystack. You would also need custom or crossover springs. It will turn over, but I’m not comfortable with seeing what would happen as they heat up.

I compared lifts last year. If the adjusters are pumped up or a spacer is put in, the 1200’s intake valves have nearly the same lift as the 75-77’s and the exhaust has more lift.

As I see it, the two advantages for early heads/cams are a 2 mm larger diameter intake valve and solid lifters to allow a bit more rev. Also larger ports better for WOT.

Staying with stock 84-85 1200 cams has more exhaust lift and 10 degrees more overlap. They are pretty close to the same. Smaller ports, better bottom end.

I look forward to you confirming and removing all the misinformation out there.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210906#p210906:1b6t2oi8 said:
Daeouse » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am[/url]":1b6t2oi8]
But did it damage the head? I see it died in the open position, but did it do significant damage to the head or the valve itself? I’m following along, but I don’t really understand everything that’s happening, so I’m trying to learn. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the things I’ve done so far on the 1200 heads has all been on bench or on motor with just hand turning of things .....now when the belt broke on the 1100 heads when I was riding the bike ...it bent all four valves in that head ...I havnt messed with it much ...

As for the spacing of shaft I’ll check that Eric ...to be clear on things it matters not now ..spring colapse is spring colapse ...as far as lift goes on intake with 1200 cams install there’s a 1/16 less lift and it also appears to be more exhaust lift on 1200 cams than early 1000 cams ...I’ve rode hooch up against a 84 standard that I personally put in great shape ..it had great compression super good working carbs totally cleaned and rebuilt and a super example of a stock 84 standard Honda’s fastest offering in oldwing 4s...hooch not only walk away from it ..it literally ran away from it ..in the realms of total no contest ...our forum member Brian here also has 84 standard and he came here and visited me ..he was just blown away at hooches power over his bike ...he has said so many times since that day ...I’m not going to go with 1200 cams at all just not in the same league at all ...I will put my adjusted for my motor 1100 cam carrier on the 1200 cam to see the difference in things on the bench to gain knowledge of the cam ..but in no way will I ever use 1200 cam in hooch ...

I’ve done all kinds of cam switching in all the oldwing motors ...there’s no doubt the early 75-77 cams were just the best ..in fact the 1000 motors is where they do the least ...in 1100 motors there better ...in 1200 motors they are really better ...through all the work I’ve done this is the outcome plain and simple to me ...the hooch bike really does run fast is more powerful than its clutch ..I’ve never heard a four weber carbed bike I’d ever be scared of ever ...it is simply one of the fastest oldwings on the planet ...so fast it needs a complete new frame design a stiffening to be stable...you can’t even get through third gear without huge problems ...who knows what this bike is capable of if all things are right in total package ..I’m not just spouting off it’s the truth :whip:

Pic
image.php

Wow I could just mount this to my motor ..1200 cam and 1100 cam carrier set for hooches motor ...I had two spaces of free play on timing sprocket..I will mount 1000 early cam and check that out ...

Eric I was thinking it was just the 87 model 1200s that had move overlap in the cams ..but who knows info can be so off ...

Well it is down to the fact of modifying oil feed to get smaller intake valve and entry port or use early heads to fix hooch ....hmmmm

Well there’s has to be huge difference in the rocker shafts north and south ..the rocker shafts are basically the same ..I’m trying to get one dam rocker off the 1200 carrier sheesh ..how can you make a solid shaft piece so dam complicated if someone knows how to get a dam rocker out please tell ...
image.php

So I got these caps off and now what to get a rocker off sheesh ..

Ok pics
image.php

Ok I finally figured it out without taking rocker off ..this pic shows the two carriers ...the 1100 one works on a off set left and right you can see it in wears lines adhere it rides the cam ...the 1200 set up works basically inline strait up the center ...this changes everything straight up cam on 1100 carrier the rocker is already coming down on 1200 it peeks there making for the cam grind would never be the Same even if you milled things down period story over ...absolutely no parts mixing here ...way off and no getting close to right ....a few more pics

image.php

1200 center line ride ..cam lobes strait up

image.php

1100 carrier right and left peaks on cam lobe ...the mod is totally dead in my book

I just saw this thread.

Joe. I got this 82 motor if you want it. No money.

PRO'S
It's got nearly new clutch and water pump. Plus it's got those heads I had pro rebuilt a few years ago and early cams for your C5.
Ran strong when I turned it off.

CON'S
The lower fuel pump bolt needs a heli-coil and it needs a front right cam oil seal.
Nothing you can't handle.

Joe, those aren't bent valves. They're the newfangled "variable-pitch-valves" everyone's been talking about, lol! It's like having "VVT" but without all the modern computers and cam-motors and stuff, yeah.

Latest posts