Hooch breaks a belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<<WARNING: Major thread hijack (sorry Joe)>>

Looks to me that the seats on these 1200s are screaming for mercy. Not sure if the foam would ever totally recover from this? Were these repo'd bikes?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210657#p210657:2idg6tw1 said:
TheRepoGuy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 am[/url]":2idg6tw1]
7a5cfa7701d902919355fcbe8a0e338c.jpg
8e76267974650761070eb6fc3057433b.jpg

Pics
image.php

Pic from years ago when I made adapter plate and Put in 76 cams in stock 1200 motor

image.php

Fuel pump on other head ...I’m still looking for the thread and what I thought at the time ..just reviewing stuff at the moment

Wow it took some time to find
D info on all this ..but I think I’ve got it figured out from my posts years ago on it ..this was the first motor I was going to put in the 79 mongrel bike ...it seems the duration of the cam on the early cams causes the valve to hit piston ...as I did with hooch ..back in the day you can put one head on earl cam install ...no head on the other side and when the piston hits valve turning it by hand you can see where this happens ...if the piston is moving faster than the valve is getting out of the way ..it could make for very deep interference ...one thing is for sure I drop this plan rather quickly...after making the adapters for it to all work

Hmmm one thing for sure Eric’s pics tell a story I can follow ...rockers are shorter on cam side but also rocker shafts are closer together. Also ...and. If one had to mill something to right things you could mill the fixed rockers on the 1200 ...seems simple really ...but there may be more to it just observation while I have nothing to do

If you are going to run 1200 heads, why not look for the camshafts off an '85/'86 FI bike? You can then take the right side camshaft and fit the C5 ignition where the Gr/Gl sensors would be mounted. Just a thought because it was done on an '85 LTD that was converted from FI to carbs.

Cheers

After looking at the pics in this thread there simply doesn’t look to be any really huge difference in cam design...especially the pic with the pic of the keyways up on both cams sitting Side by side ...I did read that there is 3mm more lift in the 1000 cams ..but it’s not like thelobes are in a different spot or something ...seems good there ....in fact dan had 1200 cams in a 1100 motor and heads for quite some time and ran it that way ...the only plus in that set up is the 1100 heads have adjustable rockers so he could make differences that way ...where you can’t on 1200 heads that are non adjustable...

So I’m getting rather convinced there no real voo doo going on that makes this cam switch not work ...just clearances ...on the hot rod side of looking at things ..this mod could give you a hotter cam set up with higher lift and longer duration ..intake and exhaust to make up for smaller valves in 1200 heads ...and I’m not sure this is a discount at all .....just thoughts going around in my head at the moment as I do have 1200 heads here and very low mileage ones

desertrefugee":3akimkao said:
<<WARNING: Major thread hijack (sorry Joe)>>

Looks to me that the seats on these 1200s are screaming for mercy. Not sure if the foam would ever totally recover from this? Were these repo'd bikes?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210657#p210657:3akimkao said:
TheRepoGuy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 am[/url]":3akimkao]
7a5cfa7701d902919355fcbe8a0e338c.jpg
8e76267974650761070eb6fc3057433b.jpg

Neither one was a repo - I own both of those bikes and the seats are fine. Only tow them when I have to drop a truck off for service so If it has to stay longer than necessary I’ve got a way back and forth. I Can’t count how many times I’ve strapped bikes Down like that and haven’t had a single issue with the seats “recovering” as you said.
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joedrum":374w1ot4 said:
Yes they are ...to here he is giving up on the bike he was posting about ...seen that on facebook
And you’re correct - the bike is on the market. Just picked up another Valkyrie so one less project to work on when I should be on two wheels and an open road [emoji41]

joedrum":2vdyzcdq said:
Me too ..but I don’t have a valk I’ll have to fix mine ...post a pic of it
Picking her up on Monday at the moment - had to situate financing on the old girl but here it is -
42398c4881dd62db45dd7f8a9695062d.jpg

Nice Nate..my my my ...I’m thinking of stripping hooch down some today ...it’s getting time to see the damage I have to deal with ...and go over over fix options ...

Pics
image.php

Looks like a double tap on the valves that were sequence moving at the time ....

image.php

One thing good about not having timing covers is belt is less likely to get caught up in timing cover and doesn’t lockup ... :builder: Oh valves that are bent are front exhaust and rear intake ....I’m not expect huge damage when head comes off ...lol will see... :headscratch:

Sheesh it’s hot here I’m not moving fast ..drinking more beer than anything ...sometimes this is good lol..Ok now that the valve covers are off ..next move will be to take the cam carrier and cam out ...leave the head on ...this will allow me to put early 1000 cam in my 1200 head ..so I can go through the the motions of figuring out what’s going on in the forward ramp on the cam then middle part of the cam and then back ramp down the cam ...to see how close all things are ...my 1200 heads have the old gaskets stuck to them ...this allows me to pre fit everything gaskets included :wave: ...I will mount this 1200 head with installed 1000 cam and time it and see if it clears my motor if not figure out what’s involve to clear all things ...why this all excites me is ...it may be the most radicle way to get the most high output parts mixing horse power in the oldwing parts mixing high horse power set up

So having all the parts right here in my lowest of oldwing parts Around me ever ...might be Devine intervention I have all these to try ....ok I’m in gamble on Devine intervention at least through a test phase to see if it works :whistling:

Ok the rain came ...lol 10 second here we come ...pics
image.php

Rain right after cam carrier and cam removal

image.php

Did a fine smart hands rehab on this 75 cams ..they were in horrible shape ..rippled and all ..did my joedrum smart hands cam revival and after 5 yrs the cam is super very pleased about that ...basically rough filed it so it had oil catching abilities and let the final machining come from running the motor ..perfect strategy ...worked great

image.php

Well I see no difference in rocker shaft spacing at all ...this brings in valves being more strait up and down ..plus I bet 1200 valves are a bit shorter along with being narrower ..I’m thinking this make higher rpm capable compared to 1100and 1000 heads...plus the extra lift and duration at the maximum wow if this works my my my the posiblity here ... :builder: