joedrum 83 1100 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, yeah add to my 1200 cams going in my 81 engine with 83 gears project it's all got my head spinning.

Maybe we should merge this whole mess together :laptop:......or separate it......... or take the next 2 weeks off in the Bohama's. :hihihi:

Thanks for the reply Joe.also wanted to ask you,we once talked about putting the heads of the 1000s onto the 1100.If I rember right you said it worked gret.would the cam and heads from the 1000 be a good combo.or just use the 1000 cam with the 1100 heads.Ive never been happy with the the low end.and would like to chang this.going to be pulling a trailer next summer and we have alot of hills here.not a big fan of reving the crap out of it.I have no dote it will pull it at high RPMs.Thanks Joe

scratch if your bike is running good you can change the cams from the valvs covers .....at fifty dollars+ for head gaskits ....theres almost no difference between the two .....except for the one the bike thats working good is fifty dollars cheaper to use ...so thats what ivs done so far..... :mrgreen:

as for cams ive tested ...my 82 i put 75 1000 cam in which is a higher rpm grind .....the 82 has the lowest first gear of all stock flat four wings .....anyway on mine the lowerend did loose a little power but just slightly and was still smooth as silk down low in the rpm .....with only that slight discount from there its like the 1100 was made for this cam ...once its its in its zone it runs like a well tuned porche ...it just dosnt fall off at all till you grab another gear...IMHO its the best cam for the 82 gearing....

heres how the cams go from hottest to mildest......75-771000s 1100cams 1200cams 78-791000cams ...so om my 83 with its taller gearing ive put in 79 cams which are are the mildess and more low end grunt camgrind ....but i havnt tried it yet dan is trying 1200 cams and there about the same in mildness....this a good combination on a bike that one wants to pull atrailer or take long trips with as it is low stress level for the valve trane to go along with the added low end grunt ...

but as of yet its all untried ....it will be a week or two for me as ive got 20 different things going on here .....anyway dans will have a report on his to maybe sooner than mine....

it would seem to me that what your wanting is a nice low stress trailer pulling touring monster ......thats what im going for on my 83 ......

scratch if your having problems now down low in the rpm ....those dam screens under the floats need to be taken out and cleaned .....put back and run some deisil injection cleaner through it in the gas ....but thode screens have to be clear first so the cleaner can get in there past the screens....thats what im going to do on the 83 ...the carbs are crap but this will be my first shot at it .....it dosnt cost any money to try this and might work....

i know my 82 which ran good period....thats why i used it for cam test for the 1200 project im doing ...it would pull the crap out of a trailer just the way it was ...but i understand about the hills though ....

somewhere we got a carb rebuild thread i think by roady that shows those screans and where there at .....that alone could be a big deal on your bike maybe :mrgreen:

i tried to start the 83 today and it didnt start but its been amonth or so since it was running and its cold ....it just wouldnt spin fast enough ...i was real tired today after playing music ....im just now awake after napping all day .....tomarrow ill check for spark and stuff and hope to post about its running ....these 79 1000 cams ought to bring in the low rpm torque for the 83 gearing ....

im sure thinking that the shorter open time on the 79 cams is adding compression to the motor ....i just dont remember it struggleing this hard to spin up to speed ....its probably the cold :mrgreen:

joedrum":3rloospm said:
i tried to start the 83 today and it didnt start but its been amonth or so since it was running and its cold ....it just wouldnt spin fast enough ....tomarrow ill check for spark and stuff and hope to post about its running...i just dont remember it struggleing this hard to spin up to speed ....its probably the cold :mrgreen:

Joe,at a full charge,even with a AGM battery my 83 spins very slow.Even today I was hoping to move it to its new home but it takes 40 degrees for her to even consider to sputter.If we ever get snow up here she may just stay here all alone tell spring.Probably best as there is a ton of salt on the roads from the little weve had.Ill have to visit her a couple times.

i think tory is right ...its just to cold to start ....so im waiting on the weather to global warm a bit :mrgreen: before i will try again ....everything seems ready to go ...once running i will probably have some carb work to do ....but im pretty confident that the timing belt being one thooth off was its biggest problem cant wait to get it running and see how the lower torque cam will do in an 83 with its touring gears..... :mrgreen:

ive been trying to start the 83 its fire an ran for a few seconds ...im fixing to go back out and try again ....it sounded smooth just didnt last and keep running though :mrgreen:

well its running :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :mrgreen: 83 1100 ....79 1000cams installed ....it played out just like i thought ....theres such a huge difference between 75-77cams and 78-79 cams i thought there would be no way it would just be right on as the early cams were ....seems like i have to retard the timing as im getting way to much advance ....anyway thats the move im going to make now .. :mrgreen:

well on the 1100 ignition ...that headless rivet looking thing is a headless bolt with a point on the end ....i took a screwdriver and tap it around and it unthreaded when loose the vacum canister will rotate and thread back and forth on the oan the arm that holds the ignition plate and change the timing ....anyway thats what im thinking ....well all the the problems of the 83 didnt go away with the fact it was not timed right ...the no2 cylinder is still not firing good ....idont have a compression checker or i would do it .....

it looks like the rear wheel coming off and what ever to get to the ignition unit ...so this is not going to be a ride off test anytime soon......there may be a ways to go to get this ready for test :mrgreen:

okay here we go this is the 83 in the fit and trim mode

Attachments

• DCP_0007.JPG
    DCP_0007.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 102
okay
DCP_0006.JPG
this shows the1100 hundred ignition after took the headless bolt out and replaced it
005.JPG
this is the 1200 shortblock
004.JPG
this might be the 1200 short block im maxing out here as you can see its pistons and cutouts are pretty close
002.JPG
this is a pic of the 79 1000 cam sticking out of the 1100 head

im going to do a lot to the 83 reroute throttle cables ...change carbs out ....get into that igniton ....maybe in a few days it will be running right and i can start dressing it back up for a test run

im hoping for a nice tourer ....the mongruel was and it was fast to ....i cant wait to see what the extra 100ccs dose .... :mrgreen:

well ive got the gas tank hooked up beside the bike and ive messed with the timing some ....but the problem is the no2 cylinder or the front right is not firing ...ive switched the wires from the coil and that had no effect.....when the no2 plug wire is connected it revs good good but lazy and when you let off the gas it will pop one time as it gose down in rpm....with the plug wire off it revs and dont pop on the way down .....so its getting down to either that carb or a bad valve in the head on that cylinder.....its pretty much running like it did before when i was riding it...iwish i had a compression tester you would think i would but i dont ...

so guys do you think if i change out the carb rack to a known good set it will cure the problem .....or do you think its head related....keep in mind that the timing was one thooth off before on that side....and that old hack never could get it to run right on that cylinder......

it would seem to me that if the valve was bad and it was getting good gas it would pop more than just once like it dose ...

it seems to idle fine and rev fine to a point in rpm and then seems lazy cause of the dead clylinder ...which makes me think its all gas related

what do you think guys :mrgreen:

If that cylinder does pick up at higher rpm it will likely pick up at idle with a clean rack of carbs. If you need a compression guage I think I have one i could loan.

joedrum":2mw7k9vk said:
what do you think guys :mrgreen:

I think without knowing the compression is good in that cylinder we're going around and around chasing it.
You already said that side was out of time which makes me think valve problem, check compression first.

well i never checked the compression yet but with the weather so rainy im ableto work on the 83 and my move was to takethe carbs off and see if i could find anything wrong in the the deads cylinder ......

it seems that the float valve is bad bad im right now putting the carbs back on to see if this gets it firing ......there was absolutly no spring tension on the valve at all ......so flooding all the time ....welll see ....ill post back when i try it in a few hrs with a success story.... :whistling: :mrgreen:

dang i almost gut it to fire but couldnt keep it running .....im sure it will run now but i dont know if the dead cylinder is fixed ....iguess its time to look at the starter it must be draging ......idont have anymore time today to mess with it..... :rant: :mrgreen:

Latest posts