joedrum 83 1100 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it seems to be warmer today ....and im going to try and start the 83 today....im hoping that ive got dead clylinder fixed with float valve replacement ....pretty day day here in southern indiana ....there still snow on the ground but i can see the spring sun rays starting to take over the winter .... :mrgreen:

well it a warm enough to start the 83 today ....and to my surprise it still missing on number two clylinder ..... iwas able to figure out the ignition adjustment on timing for the 79 cams it was clockwise which im thinking is advanced ...it seemed about six turns from original timing ...somehow i lost count :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :Doh2: :hihihi: gee ....anyway im going to have to check the compression now if i had one .....ithought for sure the float valve was going to fix it .....i might just put the rack of carbs off my 82 on there and see what that dose .....im thinking that the timing change made a big difference in the way it reved up ....imthinking if i can get this 1100 to run like the mongruel did it will have mucho torque down low in the rpm ....pretty day here in southern indiana.... :mrgreen:

well finaly the 83 is running on all four now ....after checking the compression with the only tester i had my thumb id decided that the compression was the same and i put the 83 carb rack on and wala its running on all four and sounds good ......

so now im ready to put this bike back together and test out the 79 cams .....im hoping for enough low end grunt to pull a trailer along with the great touring rpm...im imprest so far it seem to pic up the throttle quick...

if i dont like it i will put in the 75 cams now that it is running good a cam change is easy will see ...... :yahoo: :yahoo: :rocks: :yes: :music: :good: :mrgreen:

it was the carb rack i though i had it fix when i fixed the float valve ...but it was cold and i didnt realy go through it ....so it wont take much to fix the other rack ...but changing timing got it reving nice... :mrgreen:

I am most interested in what effect the 79 cams will have on the 83. From what I've read Honda went through most of the same mods on the 1100 motors as the 1000 and the 79 1000 was a near match to the 83 1100. Just as the 75 1000 was to the 80 1100. Seems to me the 78-79 1000 cams would be the perfect match to the 83. :mrgreen:

nice day here today .....im goint ot work on the doghouse for a bit ...but might switch over to the 83 later and take it for a ride.....ive got quite a bit of putting gack together on it its hanging from doghouse roof with no back wheel ,gas tank ...but still in running condition .... this was a good pre set up for my soon to be oldwing motor bench im putting together for testing motors before install in bikes.....

im ready for a ride ...its been long enough ..... :builder: :mrgreen:...im hoping it will be a perfect match for a tour dog ....i was quite shock when i found out that the 79 cams as mild or milder than 1200 cams ....but iwas realy shock on how good the cams looked knowing first hand how many miles were put on the cams by me and relized it would be a good cam for reliability ....anyway will see ...it just needed to be tried ...i already know what the 75-77 cams do ... :mrgreen:

Your test stand sounds like it will be very useful. Making easy access to all the components. Have a great day.

im going slow with everything having a hard time finding everything with my superior organization.. :smilie_happy: but i did change the rubber seal on one of my forks ...got most of the wiring done ...the gas tank in ...battery in .....

need to put on final drive wheel and brakes ...fender ...bags ....front wheel ...front brakes ...fender ...timing belt covers...faring and lowers ...crash bars and im sure theres something else too.....

cant wait to test ride this setup ....i will be lucky to get it all done tomarrow....

i was informed that one of my dear friends died in a car accident today so im sad for her husband ....hes a true brother as she was to me ....

joedrum":2ueur7ac said:
im going slow with everything having a hard time finding everything with my superior organization.. :smilie_happy: but i did change the rubber seal on one of my forks ...got most of the wiring done ...the gas tank in ...battery in .....

need to put on final drive wheel and brakes ...fender ...bags ....front wheel ...front brakes ...fender ...timing belt covers...faring and lowers ...crash bars and im sure theres something else too.....

cant wait to test ride this setup ....i will be lucky to get it all done tomarrow....

i was informed that one of my dear friends died in a car accident today so im sad for her husband ....hes a true brother as she was to me ....
Joe, I'm truly sorry to hear about your friend, I wish the best for her husband, and all the other friends and Family..That's Sad..To you to Joe, I know your Heart is hurting ..

thanks beav and V ....im going to church right now to face everyone ....im going to play a tribute to her in celibration of her going to the heavens of life everlasting this is no bs to me ...i truely beleave this and that shes left us behind ......today at church were not going to morn her ...she would not want it that way at all and the church is small enough that everyone knows this already im going to speak today ...i have no plan ...if i did i would forget it anyway so as always for me i will wingit .....thanks again ...i have no clue on how the moment is going to stike me ...but im playing a tribute to her ....we called her the midget but she was big and mighty in my eyes and to all that knew her :ahem:

i managed to do some work today on the 83 .....i ran it for awhile and it sounds great did a few minor adjustments ....it was raining here today and no chance of riding so i didnt move fast and did other things as well ...

but im real pleased with the way its running ...it dose have both wheels on it now and not hanging from a chain anymore ....brakes are done ...im pretty much down to mounting the front and back fenders ...hooking up the lights ... and dressing it back up ....

it was nice being able to work on the bike under the doghouse roof while it was raining ...i love the sound of rain on a tin roof i cant wait till its done .... :builder: :mrgreen:

its suppose to get colder tomarrow so idont know if i will get a ride report on the 83 or not ....plus theres all kinds of stuff going on and might be busy but soon :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :mrgreen:

That's great news! Weather has been super nasty here the last couple days. Rain,sleet,snow, mix and repeat. :Awe:

i didnt get much done today it seems i tore my elbow tendon ....and ijust cant wrench very fast one handed ...its realy cold so im not going to push anything ...idid shine all th chrome and bag hardware again one handed it needed it ....im down to hooking up the manual switch for the radiator fan installing the fairing ....timing covers ...engine gards ....fairing lowers and installing the bags...... :mrgreen:

hi gerry .....im so loose jointed that my ligaments actualy hold me together as my bones are severly compromised ....i actualy did it pulling a nail out of a board ifelt it it pop but i pop all the time and was hoping it was just seperated ....but its obvious now thats it torn as the pain has increased over the last week since its happen ....i cant realy pull on anything and i was wearing every restraint devices i have and was realy being careful butit tore anyway im bumd out about it ...and the pain is bad right now as im typing ...just no comfortable possition right now :doh: :rant: :Awe: :heat: :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about that Joe. I did not tear my elbow tendon, but I have siginificant tennis elbow and I wear a brace on my forearm that does wonders for my elbow tendons. By squeezing up the forearm, it somehow keeps the elbow tendons from pulling (My physical therapist showed me this).

Latest posts