My 75 starts it's return to the road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 9

I hooked up the gravity feed tank, added a bit of Seafoam and some gas. I turned over the engine with the starter till I had oil pressure, waited for the float chambers to fill, crossed my fingers and hit the start. It burped once then started with full choke. HOORAY!! I only ran it for a few seconds then shut it down. I now have to polish my timing covers and re-install them and the cooling system before I can run it again. I'm happy!

Tim

Day 10

timing covers and cooling system re-installed...ran engine for several minutes....carbs are pretty sick...a bit of smoke in the beginning but went away...NOTHING LEAKS!!... I was looking at Jay Leno's web site and found a video about a metal polish that is made in the USA and works great on chrome. I had to order some. It works very well without much elbow grease. I posted some photos on my album. Most of the chrome on my 75 is showing it's age and this stuff helped a bunch. It won't make new chrome out of old stuff but judge for yourself. That's all for today.

Tim

Day 11

I started the gas tank process yesterday. The first day I used 12 volts at 2 amps just to see how it was going to work. The water turned pretty ugly after 24 hours. I put in fresh solution and started running it at 10 amps. We'll see how it looks tomorrow. In the meantime I have been polishing the chrome bits. I'm very pleased with how the Quick-Glo works. If my fingers hold out I should be done with it tomorrow. Next item will be the brakes. I'm putting off the carbs as long as I can.

Tim

Day 12 & 13

The gas tank process still goes on. I can see some bright metal showing in spots. I'm still polishing the chrome bits. It's working pretty well. I finally got some original foot pegs today. They need to be cleaned up and painted. My front master cylinder kit should be here in a couple of days. I am starting a list of things I can't find. I'm hoping you guys can help me locate a few bits. I'll put up some more pictures when I remember to take the card out of the camera.

Tim

Looking really nice so far. A tip I`ll give you, If you go buy some evaporust (harbor freight sells it) and dip those shocks in it it will dissolve the rust right off the inside of the spring and anywhere else that is hard to get at. A gallon will cost around 17 bucks with a 20 percent discount.
The stuff will not harm rubber or plastic but is phenomenal at eating rust overnight, just pour it into a bucket or plastic container that will cover or at least cover half the shock(you can flip them over the next day).
Best of luck on your project.

HELP!

Well I've finally come to the point where I need some help from you guys. I'll paste a list of things I can't locate and hope maybe someone has one laying around that I could buy. My other issue is the front master cylinder. Who ever out it together last time used a snap ring without any holes for a snap ring tool. There isn't much room to get anything in the area to pry it out. There is also some rust to contend with. I'm stumped at this point. I've already spent $50 on a rebuild kit so I hope I don't have to by another master cylinder. On the good side the tank appears to be about 90% clear of rust but I still can't get any air to pass through the reserve tank feed tube. Any help will be very much appreciated

Items needed:

Head light Done
Front foot pegs Done
Gear shift lever Done
Front turn signal stems that fit OEM mount on forks
Rear shock adjusting tool
Hinges for side panels (faux tank)
Fuel petcock or gasket kit (this one leaks)
OEM tool tray

That's all for today,

Tim

Latest posts