My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181538#p181538:3ri9dqk3 said:
BikerJoe » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:35 am[/url]":3ri9dqk3]
I wouldn't clear powder coat its not needed and powdercoat dont take or hold finish well at all.
+1 :yes:

Out of a desire for knowledge, can anyone tell me what the two Allen keyed nots are in the head that are under the camshaft please. Can they be removed if not why not and or do they perform a specific function. Do they have seals around them? Cleaned as much carbon off the heads as I can this week a trip to the Vapour blasters is required.

Just a guess. But I think those are plugs for drilled channels and unless the channel is internally obstructed they should not be removed.Possibly coolant channels that would be open to the oil if removed.

Okay when I get them back I will be taking out the valves, I will leave the valves in for the vapour blasting, my reasoning is as follows, 1) I will remove the valves after blasting to clean out any left over media, 2) I intend to replace the valve guides, new ones wont hurt, 3) having new guides will require new seats and grinding in the seats, result heads will be 100%. the rest we will see, so getting those big Allen bolts out will let em clean properly.

It seems to me you really can't say you've done all that can be done to refurbish a cylinder head and block if there is any junk left behind.
It's always been the case to clean the coolant channels in car and truck engines, I don't see why an oldwing engine is any different.

Tha outfit used too do my machine work dipped tha whole smear in a 55 gal tank like doing carbs they came out like new.
I remember years back some old motors had deflectors back in galleys that directed tha coolant to hot spots, they would rust out and could be replaced.

I know that you maybe never can do enough, but cleaning the engine as we have decided isn't going to happen well the base block then. to be fair it is free turning, there is no damage to the cylinders that I can see. The cylinder heads that came off the engine are quite bad. lost of black carbon, but they are must be serviceable as they were running when she was parked up, inside and in the dry. But that is never a guarantee that is will stay serviceable.

But the only thing I want to do to the crank cases is strip and paint them, so for that job it has to be down to hard hand work I don't have the facilities really to do a full engine strip and rebuild not cleanly then. So I have selected to use the spare heads, tomorrow Monday they go to a Vapour Blaster near me that does nothing but bikes, he must have about 50 bikes, old Triumphs BSA's Norton's and god knows what else in his shop, but what I do know he is very precise a stickler for detail. Last I saw him about 3 months back he was working on a Triumph Bath Tub 500 he had been working for about 4 hours just to get a bolt to fit in the right place.

So I know when I take these heads to him they will be done right, after I get them back I will strip out the valves and the valve guides and do my porting, to be honest the ports look really quite good, quite smooth to my finger, so that will be a short job. I will get him to fit the new valve guides and to re-cut and bed in the valves. But I intend to paint the heads before he replaces the guides and valves.

Hence my question about the two Allen Key bolts in the head on the cam shaft side. I can open those to get the heads flushed of any possible left over media from the blasting. they will be very thoroughly cleaned out and blown through. Right going to stop now as it is 00:03 here in the UK and I am tired. So catch you all later.
:lazy:

So took my heads to the guy I was telling you about, they will be cleaned, and the valves and guides checked. I don't think there will be a problem with the guides, but as the fella has the same name as me (first one then) and knowing how he treats the British metal he has in his shop he told me straight that quick view was no problem with the valves, so he didn't expect there to be any problem with the guides either.

When enquiring why he came to that conclusion was simple, the heads of the valves aren't worn. So the heads will get cleaned and as I want it to be right he will re cut and grind in the valves for me, and they will be ready early next week, that is what I call service. When I get them back I will make some detailed pics for you picture hungry guys.

Oh any one know how I can post a video? I made one on my camera yesterday of the Sonic Cleaner I bought, I got it to clean my Vinyl LP'sI will make a holder for about 3 or 4 Lp's to go in the bath at once and turn slowly in the cleaner fluid, it should take about 2 minutes to clean the LP's thoroughly.

have a great day guys.... :salute: :yahoo:

Make a YouTube account, then upload it there. Click on the sharing tab for your video or copy the link it provides for you. In your post here, click on the blue "video" button when you have your cursor placed where you'd like the video, then paste your youtube video link in the center of the "[video][/video]" code.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181736#p181736:uuy042ra said:
dan filipi » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:05 am[/url]":uuy042ra]
Make a YouTube account, then upload it there. Click on the sharing tab for your video or copy the link it provides for you. In your post here, click on the blue "video" button when you have your cursor placed where you'd like the video, then paste your youtube video link in the center of the "[video][/video]" code.

Great thanks. willdo it later.

Okay so I hope this is going to work. I have done an upload to You tube and they have given me an address that the vid can be found. here

[video]https://youtu.be/GMT9QM39ZoM[/video]

so I hope it works.
:BigGrin:

So I clicked on the link and it worked for me.
:yahoo:

Nice job on the video and cleaner Ian. I would just like to know if you did the dishes before the head in your new Ultrasonic bath? :smilie_happy:

Latest posts