New Member Thanks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreat1

Reaction score
Brand new owner of a 1978 Honda Golding been setting for 7 years started dis-assembly motor still siezed downloaded the full service manual . I am a mechanical Engineer i work in the field of refurbishment of x-ray equipment taking the approach i take at work with my new bike. my son got it for me for my 43rd birthday . Never had a bike before going to bring her back and learn to ride. I am taking alot of picks look forward to contributing and learning all i can and having fun at the same time thanks have good one. I will upload work ounce approved by membership. have good one

We also picked up a 81 honda 650 i think cb going to restore here as well. At least that one is turning over.

Welcome to our little corner of the net. It's a very good idea to take the motorcycle safety foundation training course. Use their bike and learn to ride. Members here can help with the wrenching part.

Welcome from Oz. Make sure you get a great riding trainer to make sure that you don't become a statistic for when you have your projects back on the road.

Welcome to the forum, sometimes they just need some persuasion to start turning again, Mine sat for 20 some years and fuel had turned to goo inside the cylinders and valves and tank..just took some solvent and a big wrench on the crankshaft, gentle(but firm) back and forth till it broke free, needed nothing else but broken free and cleaned out.
Good luck with yours.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152815#p152815:32pocw7t said:
slabghost » July 6th, 2015, 1:31 pm[/url]"]Welcome to our little corner of the net. It's a very good idea to take the motorcycle safety foundation training course. Use their bike and learn to ride. Members here can help with the wrenching part.[/quote

Attachments

• IMG_20150621_090440435[1].jpg
    IMG_20150621_090440435[1].jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 322
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=152813#p152813:2lxfwehw said:
thegreat1 » July 6th, 2015, 10:42 am[/url]":2lxfwehw]
Brand new owner of a 1978 Honda Golding been setting for 7 years started dis-assembly motor still siezed downloaded the full service manual . I am a mechanical Engineer i work in the field of refurbishment of x-ray equipment taking the approach i take at work with my new bike. my son got it for me for my 43rd birthday . Never had a bike before going to bring her back and learn to ride. I am taking alot of picks look forward to contributing and learning all i can and having fun at the same time thanks have good one. I will upload work ounce approved by membership. have good one

We also picked up a 81 honda 650 i think cb going to restore here as well. At least that one is turning over.

I was wondering if you all could help . During Refurbish i had to remove both heads as a result the valves are not aligned in the proper open close configuration to match the off set as the service manual states . My question is the book says rotate the engine 90 degrees from T-1 align left and right pully marks as shown in the diagram. When i rotate the right came no matter how many times i rotate it it never aligns as the picture shows. Also the books say # 1 fully closed. All video ref out there show a both heads already configured correctly and everyone is either clamping or using a jig to hold during re-alignment. my case is both heads have been rotated and new head gaskets installed and there on the bike i need help insuring the correct valves are open closed for each head and the proper position of both pulleys left and right are correct. ( I seen the warning in the book about potential for it being incorrect and causing damage to the engine. Ive done to much work to have it ruined . I am ready to finaly install the timeing belts add oil water fuel cant continue until i get the timing right. I took photos and have alot more to upload thanks have good one

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=152813#p152813:2r8zqclb said:
thegreat1 » July 6th, 2015, 10:42 am[/url]":2r8zqclb]

Attachments

• IMG_20150806_072749736[1].jpg
    IMG_20150806_072749736[1].jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20150726_095751999[1].jpg
    IMG_20150726_095751999[1].jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 146
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155580#p155580:1sqx22xo said:
thegreat1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:30 am[/url]":1sqx22xo]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=152813#p152813:1sqx22xo said:
thegreat1 » July 6th, 2015, 10:42 am[/url]":1sqx22xo]

I was wondering if you all could help . During Refurbish i had to remove both heads as a result the valves are not aligned in the proper open close configuration to match the off set as the service manual states . My question is the book says rotate the engine 90 degrees from T-1 align left and right pully marks as shown in the diagram. When i rotate the right came no matter how many times i rotate it it never aligns as the picture shows. Also the books say # 1 fully closed. All video ref out there show a both heads already configured correctly and everyone is either clamping or using a jig to hold during re-alignment. my case is both heads have been rotated and new head gaskets installed and there on the bike i need help insuring the correct valves are open closed for each head and the proper position of both pulleys left and right are correct. ( I seen the warning in the book about potential for it being incorrect and causing damage to the engine. Ive done to much work to have it ruined . I am ready to finaly install the timeing belts add oil water fuel cant continue until i get the timing right. I took photos and have alot more to upload thanks have good one
Remove the rocker assemblies on both heads so all the valves remain shut. That will eliminate spring pressure against the cams trying to turn the motor too. Then try to assemble by the book. Turn the motor over by hand with the crank bolt several times to verify the pullies line up with the timing marks at TDC. reinstall the rocker assemblies and turn over slowly by hand feeling carefully for any increase in resistance. If any is felt you are mis aligned somewhere. If you have any further questions or difficulty post again. If it all fits right post again we like progress as much as questions.

very good post V.... yes these are interference engines and have to be timed just right so valve and piston dont hit ....there are many ways to get the belts on right all are rather a pain but some jobs just are ... but as v said turn by hand and make absolutly sure its not hitting ...to bad you didnt put belts on before putting in the frame ...a bit easier out to me ... :popcorn:

Okay if crank and cams timing are all out of wack, I'd do just as slabghost said, then when rotating the crank, stop before the TDC 1 comes up. The pistons will be down some in the bores at this point well away from the valves. Now install cams, leaving adjusters backed all the way loose, position them on their marks, then rotate crank to TDC 1, put belts on.