Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stel

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 gl 1100
Hey. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Stel. Just got an 81 gl1100 goldwing handed to me that got turned into a bobber. I have no idea what I'm doing and the bike has got a bunch of loose wires everywhere. Look forward to getting to know you guys and get some pointers. For now I'm just going to put fresh liquids and get a battery and see if it starts up.

Welcome to The Forum and enjoy! You may want to peruse the following for some ideas of what to do....

https://classicgoldwings.com/threads/new-2-u-bike-read-me.259/
Appreciate the pointers. I could use a little help. I don't even know where to start. I got a 1981 GL1100 that got turned into a bobber. The kill switch was destroyed and I try to replace it but the color coding is off. They also seems to be extra wise all over the bike and disconnects. I thought I wired it correct it but when I hit the start button nothing happens. I know theres power because when I turn the switch on there's a red light that comes on. I don't even know what that means but it seems like it's getting power. I know there is total wiring schematic but I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this. Is there any way I can wire the bike up for the most basic start stop functions and the other basic Electronics like brakes and turn signals lights. I appreciate any pointers

I'm not familiar with the 1100s and with it 'customized' the wiring might not be anything like an original. That stated you might want to look at the wiring dieagrams and see if you can figure out what has been changed and follow that to a conclusion. The wiring that has been disconnected would be just 'extra' if they removed functions and may be from aftermarket accessories.

Wiring diagram
https://classicgoldwings.com/media/albums/full-color-standard-and-interstate-1980-1983.10175/
Service manual
https://classicgoldwings.com/media/categories/honda-service-manual-gl1100-1980-1983.1145/
Another manual that may or may not help is an Electrical manual. The 1200s have a seperate manual for this (below) that breaks each function into a piece. I'm not aware if the 1100s have this available. You might be able to use the 1200 as a guide of how the systems should function, but it probably will not be real accurate. Look for 'Standard' type wiring,
https://classicgoldwings.com/media/categories/1985-gl1200-electrical-troubleshooting.10286/
You may find more information in the Gallery Index & Tech Ref....

Thanks for the info. I'm going try and start it from the starter solenoid. Maybe that will give me a better direction. Thoughts?

Thanks for the info. I'm going try and start it from the starter solenoid. Maybe that will give me a better direction. Thoughts?
That way can show you that the starter works. It most likely will. But my thoughts are that you find a good wiring diagram here or on other Goldwing sites, I like goldwingdocs.com for manuals and diagrams. I know you said that wiring isn't your strong suit, but trust me, once you start to give learning how they work a try, you will catch on faster than you might think. Plus, you will learn a bunch about your Wing and knowing more about wiring diagrams will definitely come in handy down the road.

Keep us posted, welcome to the forum, and remember pictures can help people help you, and we like looking at pictures of people's progress.

No way to do it but to do it I guess! Looking forward to it I knew it was going to be a long-term project but super pumped about riding. I did try to jump the solenoid and there was a clicking sound on the starter but nothing turned. Does that mean the starter is broken?

No way to do it but to do it I guess! Looking forward to it I knew it was going to be a long-term project but super pumped about riding. I did try to jump the solenoid and there was a clicking sound on the starter but nothing turned. Does that mean the starter is broken?
Could be low battery, bad connections, several other things.

Could be low battery, bad connections, several other things.
I checked all those things battery good connection good. I pulled the starter and I couldn't turn it by hand. Try to use a battery to see if it would Spin and it did not. I will try to rebuild it or get a new one. The question I have is how do I insert the new starter into that gear that's hanging from the chain?

If you lean the bike on the side stand the sprocket will hang pretty close to the middle of the hole. Where do you live, could be someone is close by to give you a hand.

If you lean the bike on the side stand the sprocket will hang pretty close to the middle of the hole. Where do you live, could be someone is close by to give you a hand.
I just wanted to make sure that the gear is suppose to be just sitting on the chain and not fixed to anything. I guess I couldn't take the gear out attach it to the starter and then insert it as I wouldn't know if it will sit into the chain.

I've noticed most have the best luck with rebuilding the original starter. Leave the gear where it is and stab the starter to the gear.

You didm't respond to the where are you question, you might have a helpful source close by or maybe not....

Last edited:
I live in Louisville ky. I'll give it a shot. So the gear is suppose to be sitting on the chain not attached to anything?

I have a 76 gl1000 , and found that it is easy to get a bur on the sprocket or spline of starter , it can be sorted out with a small triangle file , fitting brushes and greasing up starter made a lot of difference to mine , have you had all the plugs out and confirmed motor turns , not seized , or broken cam belt etc .

I have a 76 gl1000 , and found that it is easy to get a bur on the sprocket or spline of starter , it can be sorted out with a small triangle file , fitting brushes and greasing up starter made a lot of difference to mine , have you had all the plugs out and confirmed motor turns , not seized , or broken cam belt etc .
Rebuilt the starter put it back together and it did not spin when connected to a power source. So just went ahead and ordered and a replacement. My buddy said he started the motor a few months back so not sure if it seized or anything going on with the engine, I don't know how to check it. But I guess I can YouTube it LOL

Latest posts