Rattle can paint

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about what clear coat to use.

As I recall, it is best to use clear that is the same type of paint as the color.

I do know that after the clear is fully cured, I took some Mauruders liquid polish, hand buffed the paint and then I took some good old fashioned Nu-Finish paint restorer it really made it glow!!

Hi Pete
I didn't use an adhesion promoter. Just the Rustoleum Primer 2X for plastic. I did test paint an extra side cover using this primer and it came out nice. I've painted other plastic bike parts using this primer and never had a problem though I've read about some using an adhesion promoter. I'm far from a pro and never used the metallic paint so I'm limiting the project to the front fender to see if the paint holds up before moving forward on the other parts. Guess it's wait and see the end result.

I did some checking and found it's recommended you use an adhesion promoter if you sand down to the plastic. Leaving the original color coat sanded a good primer over it should hold paint. I started second guessing myself when you mentioned the adhesion promoter. :headscratch: I had to go back and make sure I was on the right track. :laptop: :good:

Slow to post but I did say I was taking my time. The good news.... Front fender done except for buffing. Really like this color.

oAqiXP.jpg

2HtY3N.jpg

The bad news... Running low on metallic blue so off to Wallymart and picked up two more cans of cobalt blue for the side covers. Had the first side cover done with 2 coats of color ready to sand using the paint I'd bought 2 weeks ago. Hit the second side cover with the new rattle cans from a different batch and guess what, the freakin' colors don't match. Not off a lot but enough to be noticed. Here's a pic. Not sure if you can tell. The one on the left isn't as blue.

xYLTVH.jpg

Anyway I called the Rustoleum co. and they took the batch number of the new cans and told me they would reimburse me. I am going to see if Wallymart will exchange them for cans of a different batch first. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

On another note, taking the emblems off the side covers. I read to use braided fishing line to work back and forth between the emblem and side cover to cut through the double sided tape that holds them on. I don't have fishing line so I worked an old thin butter knife in between and they came off fairly easy. Goes to show ya, there's more than one way to skin a side cover.

OK Still at it. Been so dang cold I only get an hour or so with a portable heater every other day to paint then bring freshly painted parts into the house to cure. The wife keeps telling me she smells paint. She doesn't know they're in the storage room :whistling: . I've got 9 pieces half done. Some are ready for a 2nd and 3rd coat of clear and have been sitting for 2 weeks. Not wanting to screw this up, I called Rustoleum customer service and asked what I needed to do if anything as far as prep for this next step. I was told if the parts were painted less than 10 days ago, I could go ahead and clear coat with no prep. However after 10 days I would need to lightly sand/scuff the surface and wait 48 hours then hit it with Rustoleum Crystal Clear.

Thought I'd pass this along for reference.

here is a Link ( I hope ) :smilie_happy: this is Hammered Ivory spray paint from Wal-mart . I know near the last of these pages are pictures of it with Paint on it . the Paint job starts about page 18 , I think .....BUT , the Paint that was on it Before I built it into a Trike was Spray Paint too. . the first time i painted it Ivory , the second time I painted it was Ivory Hammered , and I sanded all the Hammered off the top , it gives it a wavy looking Pearl look , hard to see it all in these Pictures , but give you an Idea.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2759

Thanks , ohhh it rides like a Caddy with the Top down Out On the Highway , But , Turning it is another thing , I had no Idea when I was building it , that the Factory Trike kits with the Easy Steer setup , is pretty much just like Raking the Frame . its Not Unbearable or anything , but after riding a 2 wheeler all these years , it takes some getting used to for sure . I really Built the Trike for the day when I can no longer ride , or am no longer Safe on a 2 wheeler . and I may Rake the Frame or change the front end before I get to that point , the Trike Runs and Rides as good as I could ever hope for , and I really like it , and I plan to keep it . just need a good plan with the Steering I think . :laptop:

Latest posts