Restoring an old GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 GoldWing Aspencade Gl1100A
1999 BMW K1200LT
Hello everyone I am David.

I found this GL1100 in a barn and decided to give it life (I have heard the engine run so woohoo). I am disassembling it now and will be turning to you all to help me find the replacement parts I need. I have been using the forums for a few months now and finally decided to become a member; Took me till I began disassembling the bike to create an account.

I hope to someday get my girl (Matilda) on the road and riding free again!

Wish me luck!

thumbnail_Image (3).jpg

In the garage this morning it’s 29 degrees and windy as could be. I went riding last weekend on my BMW so it should be warming up soon.

Where are you from?

Hell,im in va and it was 28 and windy this morning.where did spring go?

it looks like someone was chopping pieces off of this lock nut. Any clue on how to remove one of these? I tried a freewheel tool (FR-6), but it still won’t move or budge. Could really use a hint to get swing arm off.

5F1E6E8E-0A36-4D87-A4BE-239D960F5514.jpeg

Hi, if you have the bucks, there is a tool for sale on Ebay (Honda GL1100 GL1200 GL1500 Gold Wing Swingarm Pivot Lock Nut Adjust Tool. HWT032 | eBay). Its expensive for what you get, but it is built to remove the lock nut so the allan key will be able to remove the center shaft/threaded axle stub. I took a 1 1/4 inch socket and traced the gaps, which I later cut with a grinder and made my own. The nice part of the ebay tool, is that it will be able to hold the allan key in place once torqued while you lock down the castle nut. FYI: there are several places on the bike that has a castle nut which needs a special tool bought or built.

Attachments

• q (4).jpg
    q (4).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 48
The outer locking ring can be removed with a punch, & hammer.
Punch inserted into a slot, then start taping, primitive but will work.
Welcome, & Good Luck