Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive Holley,Weber 740 carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WestGL, when I proposed this same thing on Naked Goldwings back in 2009 I got blasted out of the lake. Somewhere there was loads of info posted over there.

For cool factor, I had cobbled up a manifold from PVC that allowed the use of a Solex sidedraft from a BMW 2002 Ti that poked up thru the doghouse. I lost the pictures and never mounted it. Still have the PVC and carbs somewhere.

There are 1000's of different small carbs that should work, not just the 740 Weber. Time and someone willing to be different is all it takes sometime.

:thanks: :moped:

Dan

You have two PVC tubes that are pretty straight correct?
they are not the problem.

The problem is the two Hoses as these are the manifold runners that make the sharpest curves, Correct?

Those TWO Curvy Manifold runners are the hardest part of making this work, and also using something that is firm enough to Not colapse while under a load, and still be flexible enough to make those curves,

And still they have to make a good seal.

I am sure that is a lot of vacuum going through those hoses.

I worry about my Manifold setup, and it's durability

I have had it running for a very short time.

I would feel safer with some steel, or alum. tube runners, and just short pieces of silicone hose for seals.

I may go that route, if i have a hose failure.

We are seeing Revision #1

More to come,

Evolution never has only one rev.#

One thing for sure,

Now That I have experienced what the single is like,

I will NEVER, EVER have another 4cyl. Goldwing with the crappy 4 carb rack set up.

The single carb transforms the 4 Cyl Goldwing engine into something GREAT!
from some just ok.

I am talking about just cruising the bike, it makes such a great cruiser, just riding around on the primary only

It is transformed into a Wonderful bike, a Great city bike, stop & Go's awesome, much better than it was.

I hope Dan gets that Oldwing running, so he can give a ride report.

Dan,

I think you are going to Fall, Re-fall back in Love with that wing once you get it figured out and running good, it will be a sweet ride.

DaveJ

I hope i was not one that blasted you :oops:

I would like to see a picture of that manifold and carbs if you can find it, please post it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96393#p96393:zendlnn9 said:
Dave_J » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm[/url]":zendlnn9]
WestGL, when I proposed this same thing on Naked Goldwings back in 2009 I got blasted out of the lake. Somewhere there was loads of info posted over there.

For cool factor, I had cobbled up a manifold from PVC that allowed the use of a Solex sidedraft from a BMW 2002 Ti that poked up thru the doghouse. I lost the pictures and never mounted it. Still have the PVC and carbs somewhere.

There are 1000's of different small carbs that should work, not just the 740 Weber. Time and someone willing to be different is all it takes sometime.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96396#p96396:pgxcxntu said:
westgl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 pm[/url]":pgxcxntu]
DaveJ

I hope i was not one that blasted you :oops:

I would like to see a picture of that manifold and carbs if you can find it, please post it.

I will look. I know where the carbs are, the manifold not sure.

Hey I had a flame retardant suit on due the the Darkside wars going on at the same time. Now Darksiding is so common.

DaveJ,

There has been several attempts to make a Single progressive two barrel carb work on our 4cyl. Goldwings

The Weber 32/36dgv is a good example, of a failure, this because of:

32/36DGV failure Problems
1. The fuel circuits providing Way too much fuel,
2. Not being able to restrict that fuel down to something that our engines can comfortable use
3. Venturi Choke size is too large

On this same thread on the Steve Saunders site, there are a couple of guys that used that carb. one guy tried to jet the carb for a year, professionally, & tune it, both guys could not get rid of the transitional bog, from primary to secondary

Another problem these guys talk about is getting the engine to Idle, at anything below 2000 rpm

The 32DFT from Tom, is a Out of the Box carb that needs No Jetting or tuning at all. You can tune it if you really wont to.
But it runs great right out of the box.
That is very rare.

There is Much more Info on the steve saunders site

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... llent.html

=======================================

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96393#p96393:266ifn7p said:
Dave_J » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm[/url]":266ifn7p]

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96383#p96383:kyatzk65 said:
westgl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm[/url]":kyatzk65]
Dan

Can the Vw manifold side,

Just be clamped to the vw manifold?
Well, I might have a plan here.

Using the coupling end of 1" electrical pvc, it fits perfect into the intake horn clamps.
It also fits very tight inside the vac hose, perfect and is awaiting a clamp.
I've glued the hose to the pvc coupling.
Letting it cook in the sun then I'll put it in gas to see if gas breaks the glue down.

Using another pvc coupling end, the outside diameter is almost the same size as the manifold tube. Need to run out for abs pipe clamps.
I think this will work.

Far as suction collapsing the pipe.

Will have to see what happens but the shop vac is very strong and it doesn't collapse.

Dave, 2 things we don't like here and will not tolerate....BS....and flaming.
As long as any member makes claims and backs up those claims with fact in some way, we have no problems.

As long as the discussions are kept on topic and there is NO flaming, we have no problems.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Back to the topic.

NICE!! Dan,

I used a can of some starting fluid spray.

Once you have the engine started.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Get up to operating temp.

Start on one side of the engine, while it is idling.

Stay on that side and work the whole side before going to the other side.

Spray the oem stub manifold at the head, between the stub manifold and head, then on the hose you clamped to the Manifold, on the front cyl.

Go slow enough so that you can hear either a speed up in RPMs or slow down in engine rpms

Then go to the other manifold runner and manifold, on the same side at the other cyl. spray it.

Then go in to the Vw manifold connections spray them.

Spray in between the carb. and the VW manifold.

Any Vacuum ports on the carb that you plugged spray that area.

Then go to the other side of the engine do the same thing

I've a bit different tack to the same goal. I've bought some stock single port intakes for VW with carbs. So we'll see if I can find a good way to adapt these and make them work. It'll be a while. :head bang: :builder:

Do you have a pic of the stock single port intake?

Was this a carb kit?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96405#p96405:m5bl9cl8 said:
slabghost » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm[/url]":m5bl9cl8]
I've a bit different tack to the same goal. I've bought some stock single port intakes for VW with carbs. So we'll see if I can find a good way to adapt these and make them work. It'll be a while. :head bang: :builder:

yes me too .. with dan on fire forit ive been working all day trying sort his carb to yours ...like the 740 carb hooch is completely different as two 740 carbs can be .. so im wanting his effort to mirror your as it is the closest know success ... and I want his to be success as yours ...

Dan

I am Really looking forward to your engine running.

I want to hear some feed back, dang it better be positive or i'm moving out of the country.

There are a few people on the Steve Sounders, site that have their 32DFT running, , one of them only statically running, he is waiting for a Rear brake master, But he says it runs very well, and idles great, one more that had a 32/36DGV on a CI Manifold, that was a Bogging and a hesitating beast, With that manifold, I am not sure how that carb will do, there is a lot of area/volume of air in that manifold, it seems to much area/volume, seems like it may be slower to respond, i may be wrong and hope i am.

The hesitating beast should be starting his, with his new 32DFT maybe this week if he receives his carb form Tom early enough in the week, otherwise next week, this guy tried everything to jet & tune that 32/36dgv carb. He goes by Badorderbob.

Not sure if anyone would like me to post his ride report here. Good or bad, or a link to over there.

Dan will be #3 on this site, with the 740 that has run.

Tubes and clamps....$30

The homer bucket....$3

The excitment and anticipation....priceless!

image.php

I saw some really cool stuff there too for revision B.

No I dont have a source for Clear reinforced Hose.

The hose i am using is Black and it is Silicone hose that looks like it has a clothe outer cover, it is not clothe but it has the look and texture of it.

Inside of the hose is very slick & smooth, well it is silicone hose.

I was going to try the marine/boat shop next before i found this hose.

Or the semi truck parts repair shop down the street

(in a quiet voice)

Ladies and gentleman Dan is already on rev.B, and the crowd goes wild!!

Those angled ridged conduit look like they are at a good angle, I did not look at that when I was there, that may be a good choice.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96424#p96424:2zg0l4zt said:
dan filipi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 pm[/url]":2zg0l4zt]
Tubes and clamps....$30

The homer bucket....$3

The excitment and anticipation....priceless!

image.php

I saw some really cool stuff there too for revision B.