Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive Holley,Weber 740 carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went digging thru my pile of carbs and the only thing I came up with was a duel feed double pumper 650 cfm spread bore Holley. I have one question, why isn't anyone making a top plate for the air plenum for the carb and removing the four cv carbs, replacing where they were at with tubing, silicone or metal, and connecting to the stock intake runners ? The air plenum is already offset so you don't have to fight the s turns.

Mike, It's been done. I saw it a few years ago, it was called a five carb Goldwing. He gutted the four existing carbs and mounted the new one on top of the plenum. I am debating that. The right carb on top has to be the key. It sounds like we have a winner. I am not sure about getting all the holes plugged for this method, but I do remember reading and seeing a few pics of it. Using black RTV as CM85 suggested on the plenum halves would help keep that sealed. There are a lot of holes to consider, but once you pull the choke and throttle plates, you'd be close. You might be able to use the existing fuel tubing around the plenum for coolant heat source too. Somebody do it. Woh, that might actually work.

The 1200 plenum is one piece, my idea was to make an aluminum top plate, bolt down with the stock screws, position and drill top plate for carb used, remove the four carbs completely, build flange to bolt where original carbs were to connect tubing to connect to intake runners.

Similar to above. The only difference that may make the others better is the way the type iv manifold is formed. It funnels the air into the tubes. With the stock plenum, I would think a lot of atomized fuel would fall out (condense?) and collect on the plenum floor.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96737#p96737:2zgtbb7c said:
dan filipi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 pm[/url]":2zgtbb7c]
So who is next to do this single conversion?

The Enterprise will be the next one. I'm gonna use a 34mm single barrel VW carb. (34 PICT 3). Tomorrow the plenum should arrive and the carb adapter next Tuesday. :music:

Yeah meh. When I was young & single (oh it was a good time :mrgreen: ) I had a 1966 VW single port and 1963 VW van with a 1972 engine dual port 1600cc. Both had a 30mm carb version and I remember the settings and how to get it maximum performance. For me is more easier to mess with it (and I got it for free because a brother in my congregation gave it :Egyptian: ) I just need help and support from you guys. :mrgreen:

I have thought quite a few times of doing a stock OEM Plenum manifold, single carb conversion.

When i thought about the GL1100, i liked the small plenum area, but it only has two mounting lugs for a plate or carb to mount to, that could be fixed fairly easily though, with a block of alum./steel for the other two mounting holes and a bolt through the side of the plenum and sealant.

I also thought about the GL1200 plenum, that plenum is larger, but this is Un-chartered territory. I t may work and work Great.

In using the Oem plenum, My thought was to use 4ea Mikuni flange seals at the Oem Plenum part of the Manifold, then just run a Steel/Alum tube to the Oem stub manifold at the head.

That would be the easiest way to go, then just enlarge your tube size to compensate at the Oem stub manifold, it would take up the gaping and provide a great seal.

The carb is correct.

Now that we have a carb that will get you in the ball park there are a lot more opportunities

Below is a Mikuni Flange seal, if you don know what they look like.

They come in many different sizes and lengths, there is probably one to fit this need.

I have sized a few, and i am relatively sure there is one that will work.

This is along the lines of rev.2
The other thought is to use a Mikuni Flange out at the head, and get rid of the OEM stub Manifold, just have to get good at using a manual tube bender.

https://www.sudco.com/flange.html

Attachments

• Mikuni Flange seal.pdf
    96.2 KB
Does anyone know what the size the O-ring is for the OEM Manifolds that fit between the Manifolds and the head For:

O-ring Sizes for the 4ea OEM stub Manifolds, for between head & manifold.
GL1100
GL1200

I wanted to get them locally

One plus, Wait, make that another plus,

with the Single Carb. conversion is,

More engine torque, means pulling that driven alternator, should be better.

Due to More low end torque available.

ride report will be interesting,

Will this be the first time running with the C5 Ignition Dan?

You must have the C5 on there, as i noticed, the vacuum advance outlet on the carb was blocked.

If you have more torque from Both the C5 & the single carb, that thing should really Move out!

well im going to be back on the single carb thing again big time ...now that things are handled ......like west was thinking im going to try the single barrel on the dresser here im working with ....not sure if its just like jungo or westgl .... its not here yet :mrgreen:

Dan,

I Just looked at your second video for a second time.

I am trying to diagnose the engine.

But it may be a good idea to put some mile on with a Load, and look at the plugs to see if they cleaned up at all.

Here is what I see,

The not returning to idle, or slow return to idle, Hunting, could be your vacuum leak, that is how a vacuum leak will act. Also could be slower to rev. because of Vacuum leak.

The Plugs being so black, means, that you are Grossly over rich, that could also be part of your slower to rev.

A tan plug only means that you are in the ball park, further tuning from a Tan plug can be had, and can still be tan.

You said you were going to check the float height.

After the float height, if your still have a over rich condition.

We know a difference between your Carb and Mine, is a few of the Jets.

I hope you are going to document that Dresser build, Joe.

I would like to see your progression working on it.

I have been riding around a lot on my GL11-S and Only on the primary, it is very nice, If all i had was a single barrel carb on my GL11 I would be far happier than having the OEM rack on there.

using the primary on GL11-S just makes for really nice easy ride

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96782#p96782:6n3s5ut0 said:
joedrum » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm[/url]":6n3s5ut0]
well im going to be back on the single carb thing again big time ...now that things are handled ......like west was thinking im going to try the single barrel on the dresser here im working with ....not sure if its just like jungo or westgl .... its not here yet :mrgreen:

I find the bashing of our domain and our administrator of the video of dan made and comments made by cm85, captinmidnite over there quite laughable ....it was nothing but a circle of BS that said nothing ....its obvious he pissed that this forum has nailed the single carb issue big time ...he should bash me im the one that made it work .... im the one how knows how to trick bigger carbs to work ...here at classic members support others ...here thay know I cant do well arranging words or spell ....but here I don't get bashed over it ...I get made fun of but this is all in relationship we have here ... and its not just me that did this along the way I got input from others sites look up for me cause they know I struggle at this so ...when I find something out it gose out on the forum ....why cause if I do someone can read my stuff get through my typing witch is challenge enough.....I get input from others that make my moves smarter all the time so I don't take it as me only ....and don't have confident fat head syndrome ittis...I save confidence to where it useful ..when nothing is going right .....

in the threads here on single carb the group effort of this domain gets results ... not just here on this topics but all topics ......so slam away captinmidnite but I will tell you or anyone else that slams this domain as you say what the truth is ... your fat head and status means nothing here or to oldwings that we are about here ...respectfully joedrum

Latest posts