Starter chain

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drilled the 1200 this morning. Guess what? It's different, no holes to squirt oil. Silver lining was I could see the chain sitting still at idle. Ended up having a bad ngk plug cap. I was getting nothing through with a multimeter, so a dead short somewhere in the plastic. It must have been jumping the gap in the cap and then the plug. Created some very rough running at times. Having to jump two gaps would put the timing of that cylinder off. I used a plug from the battery box for my hole which I drilled 3/8". Gives a good view. Can't see it doing any good on 1200's though.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161511#p161511:1dn2pkjg said:
ekvh » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:19 pm[/url]":1dn2pkjg]
Drilled the 1200 this morning. Guess what? It's different, no holes to squirt oil.

This is the same as the 1100. Luckily, I found out without drilling.

Carbs are clean and back together. I am glad I took them apart. Looks like my fuel filter paper is starting to degrade and I saw a few bits of what looks like paper in the float bowls. Guess I will switch that out, too.

The motor is all buttoned up now and ready to put back in the frame. New starter, starter clutch, water pump and belts. I am heading out of town for work tomorrow so I will have to wait until next weekend to get her back together. I am looking forward to getting her going.

I am so glad I finally got a torque wrench a few years back. I know I would have stripped a few bolts putting it back together. It is amazing how little effort it takes to get to 7-9 ft/lbs of torque.

I had to run errands at various points in the day but the motor is back in the frame. The lower motor mounts and the upper rear mounts are installed. I still have a way to go before I am done but the worst of it is done. I hope to have it ready to fire up by the end of the day tomorrow.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162275#p162275:28jx7lx0 said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:23 am[/url]":28jx7lx0]
:popcorn:
+1
:good:

She is up and running. Seems to be idling well and responding to throttle in the driveway. I let it get hot enough to get the fan running and then shut her down. I am now waiting for her to cool off so I can check the levels on everything and then put the false tank back on. Woot! Pretty psyched that she fired up and ran so well.

False tank and seat are back on and took her for a quick two mile ride around the neighborhood. I checked for leaks around the water pump and front cover. No leaks so far. What a relief.