Two Stroke Motor Freeze

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=206726#p206726:2a5njcnq said:
wedoo2 » October 27th, 2018, 6:04 pm[/url]":2a5njcnq]
I picked up two 1991 Kawasaki KE100s today for my grandsons. They are in excellent condition and I got them for $200 total. One of the bikes have a piston that is stuck and I'm wondering how best to get it loosened up. I read about this in the past but never have had the problem before. Can't imagine it would be any different than a four stroke????

IMG-0784-1.jpg

Nice huh?
Nice, My first go to is put some heat on it then soak it. As it cools it will suck in tha penertrant.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206887#p206887:2tlxel42 said:
desertrefugee » November 2nd, 2018, 9:10 am[/url]":2tlxel42]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206881#p206881:2tlxel42 said:
dan filipi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 am[/url]":2tlxel42]
I hope you can post a video of first startup. Those are the best times!

Uhh...not always. Just sayin'...

(I'm sure that in this case all will be right with the world!)
Well, you don't post those videos. Congrats on your success!

Guys I'm sorry about the video. I guess that the google photo thing doesn't work quite right. I will take another video with my phone and try to get it to work.

I have a petcock problem. Not getting gas to the carb the way it should and am having to spray gas in to get it started. Then it runs at top speed. That is probably an idle adjustment and I'm working on that. There is a knob on the top of the carb that can be twisted to adjust the idle but doesn't seem to work. I'm going to switch the petcock from bike #2 and see if I get reliable fuel flow.

I did not try to turn over #2 until last night and it is still frozen tighter than (insert your own joke here). I will probably try heating the cylinder today and see if that works. If not I'll drain out the oil and look for metal, take off the head and give a look inside. I'll post up results.

Considering the shape these bikes are in I find it hard to believe that something is actually broke in there, although as you can see in this picture there is a lot of disintegrated foam crap in the air box.

IMG-0796.jpg

The other one was like that too.

I would pull air filters after FIRST vacuuming the foam debris out. Then pull the tank and petcocks. Petcocks may well need replaced, along with fuel lines and installation of good new fuel filters. Then pull the carbs and clean/rebuild. The tanks need the rust removed. Many ways for that including just taking to a radiator shop and having them do it. After all is clean, reassemble and try to start. For the frozen one I think it is time to pull the head.

Another thing developed with the Gold Witch. Started puking oil, and it's been sitting for several weeks. No damn reason.

IMG-0795.jpg

Yeah Joe, it's those tiny bikes taking up space.

I took the head off #2 that is stuck. Here's the sad picture.

IMG-0798-1.jpg

You can see the rusty crap in there and the fact that every bit of my lubricant has passed through. Not sure of how to get the stuff out of the cylinder yet, or if I need to go ahead and take the barrel off. I haven't tried beating on it yet.

I'm going to post up on the KE facebook page and let them people mull this over.

yep just running out the port ...id get a dish washer scrubbie white pad and paint brush and start cleaning it up if its in a position the to get at good as is ...many things work i like atf myself ..if not just pull the barrel ...be nice not to pull the barrel though and get it loose ..shop vac to clean trash or send down the port opening ...you see it now you got it now

I cleaned out the cylinder somewhat but I'm going to go ahead and pull it off the piston. I did some research on piston and cylinder wall inspection so we'll see what it looks like. It is stuck pretty good so I hope it doesn't fight me too much.

I got the barrel about 75% off and thought that I might be able to rotate the crank. Took off the left cover and a ton of water comes out. This is what I found.

IMG-0800.jpg

I need to look inside this motor and see what condition it is in so I'm going to pull it off the bike and dig in. It may be one hunk of burnin' burnin' rust. Always remembering it cost me $100.

Think I'll need new points? :smilie_happy:

Gasket is a bit soggy.

If I remember correctly, the 2 strokes I had didn't have oil in the crankcase. The 2 stroke mix lubed the ball bearing at the crank, piston and rod bearings etc.
They were pretty stout bearings. You might have a good chance cleaning that rust out good and put it back together. Maybe sand the cylinder and put in new rings. Depends what your plans are for it I guess.

Wonder how that would work? The motor is out.

BTW, does the new server log you out after so long? I'm having to log back in now and then. You may gave posted about this but I've been busy today.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206998#p206998:uu1hc2iy said:
wedoo2 » 41 minutes ago[/url]":uu1hc2iy]

BTW, does the new server log you out after so long? I'm having to log back in now and then. You may gave posted about this but I've been busy today.
You could try deleting the board cookies. Sometimes a move can confuse the browser.
ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207001#p207001:ckb3zypp said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 11:12 pm[/url]":ckb3zypp]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206998#p206998:ckb3zypp said:
wedoo2 » 41 minutes ago[/url]":ckb3zypp]

You could try deleting the board cookies. Sometimes a move can confuse the browser.
ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies

I did that. So far so good.

Latest posts