Two Stroke Motor Freeze

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Dawn and hot water to clean out the crankcase. Then rinsed with hot water and used the wife's hair dryer to dry everything out. I have filled up the case with oil to just let it sit and not flash rust. There was very little crap that came out of the crankcase as I was cleaning it out.

I think that it will be ok. I could really give a shit if it isn't. I'll get another motor. I cleaned the piston with steel wool and it cleaned up pretty nicely. I will be ordering rings, and probably a new standard piston. They are under $25. I also honed the cylinder walls and I think I have a pretty good 45 degree pattern. Slathered it with oil. Love doing new things.

Still haven't got the wrist pin off so I can remove the piston. I have it soaking in PB but now that there is oil in the crankcase it makes it harder to turn on its side to tap on it. Makes a mess if I do that. Still may have to have it pressed off. On it goes. Next job, get into the clutch.

This is fun and not the two-stroke hell made to care is dealing with. I think that he is secretly enjoying his project, just doesn't want to admit it.

I got to the clutch and all of the plates looked new. It turned out to be a PIA putting it back together and getting a circlip back in. I am circlip challenged without a doubt. I have decided that the piston looks okay on #2 as it cleaned up quite nicely. I'm just going to replace the rings and see how it works out.

I took the carb off bike number one, but it is still leaking. Even though the float pin seems ok I have decided to order a rebuild kit for both bikes, and both need petcocks and batteries. #2 still needs points and condenser, probably a new rotor, a new key made and a gasket kit. Another $200 all told.

If all works well, then I'll have about $250-$300 in repairs along with the $200 I paid for them. Not a bad deal. I love listening to the first bike run. Ringy dingy dingy, and a cloud of smoke in the garage. Good fun.

She's already complaining that there is "something wrong" with her dryer. You know, she can use my scroll saw anytime she wants.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207407#p207407:1bvctpec said:
wedoo2 » 58 minutes ago[/url]":1bvctpec]
She's already complaining that there is "something wrong" with her dryer. You know, she can use my scroll saw anytime she wants.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207410#p207410:2wue622s said:
julimike54 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:01 pm[/url]":2wue622s]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207407#p207407:2wue622s said:
wedoo2 » 58 minutes ago[/url]":2wue622s]

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :BigGrin:

:mischief: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts