What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried to locate a source for the throttle valve diaphragm on my 85 wing carbs.

Attachments

• throttle valve and diaphragm  (Medium).jpg
    throttle valve and diaphragm (Medium).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 121
Today I replaced the "dog bone" with a 30 amp inline fuse holder (and fuse) because I had lost all power to the bike since I last went out (2 weeks)I had it on my new battery maintainer.
After installing the inline fuse holder....hmmm, very dim lighting and no power to the starter. So started checking the path,
battery 13.5 v, 13.5 to the new fuse. Checking the connectors......Oh CRAP!!!!

IMG_20170312_132553061 (1).jpg

So looks like I am going to do some electrical :head bang:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187910#p187910:1o3tf7wl said:
UTgl1000 » less than a minute ago[/url]":1o3tf7wl]
Today I replaced the "dog bone" with a 30 amp inline fuse holder (and fuse) because I had lost all power to the bike since I last went out (2 weeks)I had it on my new battery maintainer.
After installing the inline fuse holder....hmmm, very dim lighting and no power to the starter. So started checking the path,
battery 13.5 v, 13.5 to the new fuse. Checking the connectors......Oh CRAP!!!!

So looks like I am going to do some electrical :head bang:
file.php

Oh there was no dog bone, there was a 2 inch long, 10 awg piece of wire with crimped connectors for a main fuse.

Did my first oil and filter change on Val. I am using a Euro Spec full synthetic oil that I use in the Diesel Subarus. I had picked up some motorcycle specific fully synthetic oil but when I checked the specs I was happy to use the same oil as the Diesel Subarus as in some cases the specs were better. I also buy it in 20ltr drums and have a pump installed on it which makes filling heaps easier except when you are pumping and the nozzle comes out and sprays oil over Val! :head bang:
The other benefit is one less type of oil around the house. :yes:
I decided to give Val a bath to fully clean the sprayed oil off her.
I then rode Val on Saturday to meet up with the VJMC members at Springwood Suzuki and when I got home decided to polish her up. Not a big difference in the photo but it got rid of all the water streaks on the chrome and I removed a few boot marks off the exhaust. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187928#p187928:12wzceg1 said:
slabghost » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm[/url]":12wzceg1]
Hmmm no mention of the rats nest. I've been watching my bikes shiver in the snow.
I need to give her some loving soon.. :yes:

Bought a new one... 1987 Interstate. 5X,XXX miles on the clock and the only reason it was being sold, the PO couldn't get the linked braked bled. It won't win a beauty contest, but the motor runs better than the one in my 84. :BigGrin:

Great news; :yes: The 87's had all the best of the 1200 part's, all the bugs worked out, as well as all the old left over parts from previous models used up. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187938#p187938:1gs8veiw said:
brianinpa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 am[/url]":1gs8veiw]
Bought a new one... 1987 Interstate. 5X,XXX miles on the clock and the only reason it was being sold, the PO couldn't get the linked braked bled. It won't win a beauty contest, but the motor runs better than the one in my 84. :BigGrin:
Did you add on to your garage? You have quite a fleet growing in there! :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187951#p187951:3w7mi4mu said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm[/url]":3w7mi4mu]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187938#p187938:3w7mi4mu said:
brianinpa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 am[/url]":3w7mi4mu]
Did you add on to your garage? You have quite a fleet growing in there! :hihihi:

Not yet... I'll get to the eventually. Working in an Emergency Management capacity when a winter storm is approaching is keeping me pretty occupied today. :head bang:

The fleet of bikes at my house is even bigger when I consider the stash of stuff on the attic of my garage and the bike stored away in my garage. It's soon time to have a yard sale!

I just got a set of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/371631182570. Looks like they will be a direct bolt-on without the other hardware in the pictures. Unfortunately I don't have bolts to fit in mirror holes to mount them but, holding the wings in place with my fingers there is plenty of clearance at the fairing when the bars are turned all the way. I figured that for 20 bucks or so I'd take one for the team. I'll post pictures and a review when I get them on and get in a test ride. BTW, they took two weeks to arrive on the slow boat from China

Rather quick delivery from China. They look nice. The shield I put on my 1200 blocks most of the wind from my hands already. I may consider them for other bikes though.

They seem pretty solid...the mount as well as the plastic itself should hold up well at speed...better than I was actually expecting. Might need to tweak the mount a tad to adjust the angle (or adjust the controls but I like them just where they are.)

I just finished replacing the head gasket on the Gold Witch and am quite happy to have that in the rear view mirror. I only let it run for a few minutes so we will see if that corrected the steam problem I was having. Winter came back the same day and I had no desire to get the bike on the road. Cleaned it up real good. I added a piece of chrome on the side of the bike and the jury is still out on that. Not sure if I like it or not. Will probably leave it. Bike looks new.

IMG_0369_zpsrqgtjtjc.jpg

Also cleaned the garage. Going to paint the floor again. Now I can devote a bit of time to the 72 CB350. It's looking rather nice too.

IMG_0368_zpssknzbdnu.jpg

For sale if anyone is interested. Pretty much complete restoration.

I put a voltmeter on the glove box lid on my new to me 86 Aspencade. This will give me some peace of mind. I will be starting the poor boy conversion next month. Now I would love to post some pictures but I can't figure out how to. This has nothing to do with age (I HOPE ). Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding pictures?

Latest posts