What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good chance a slave, with master cylinder rebuild, & linkage kit on the lever will put things right. :read:

Ran new brake fluid trough all the calipers on my '82 :builder: . Luckily, I have Speed-bleeders (one-way valve) on each caliper so it was just a case of pumping the MCs with the bleeders open and filling up the reservoirs a few times with new DOT 3 fluid. :moped:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186535#p186535:1gozkvxl said:
brianinpa » Today, 8:31 am[/url]":1gozkvxl]
I read that three times and each time I read Clutch cable... :oops:

Hell I wrote it and thought I sad ALL cables IE . including the clutch ...LOL didnt think about it until it was mentioned being hydraulic ...lol

The carbs have a diaphragm under the top cover. Many new bikes use similar or maybe the same. So they aren't unobtanium but they are not sold as fitting these carbs anywhere I am aware of. So be extremely careful removing the tops if you decide to do so. Also be careful not to get carb cleaner on any of the rubber components. Needle tips, O rings, Seals, Diaphragms etc.

It was warm enough today that the starter did more than just spin... I got the old mutt started and was ready to go for a ride when momma got home and said let's go eat some steak. I'm not going to argue with that!

Rode today, but yesterday....
I wanted to get the Nautilus air horn off the '81 to put on the 1500, so I did. Then, I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to figure out WHERE to put the durn thing. It will NOT fit anywhere on the 1500, under the plastic. So, since I had a $20 "reward" due from Autozone, I went and got a Freeway blaster horn. High note only, since they were out of stock on the low note. Got it back home, set it up to fit right where the OE horn was, and.....you can BARELY hear the dam thing. :Awe: It sounds like a sick puppy. Even jumping it with full battery power it sux. So.....I wound up putting the OE horn back on. I bought a set of Fiamm horns for Mama's Corvette a couple of weeks ago, and those bastiges are LOUD, so I think I'll get another set of those, assuming I can get them to fit under the plastic...it's a dang tight fit everywhere at the front.

I also put the battery back in the "Turd", fired it up and let it run for a while. It had raw fuel dripping out of the right side exhaust at the head when it first fired up.....wth? Last time I let it run, I turnt the fuel off loong before I shut it down. This time, I let the carbs run completely out of fuel, just in case. I need to get the head off of it soon, and do a new head gasket again. dang thing still runs great, idles smooth, and winds out quick. gotta get it road worthy again and try to sell it. All of the polishing I did on the alumnuminum stuff is getting surface corrosion on it from siting outside, even tho it is under a roof, and a cover. :roll:

Went out today with the intention of cleaning the 1500 up a little. Wound up ripping the topside of the plastic off to try to lubricate the throttle cables, since I'm tired of it being so dang hard to twist. It makes my arm and shoulder a little sore after only a few minutes of riding, so I wanted to find a solution.
I eventually took both cables loose from the top and bottom, and sure 'nuff, they were both a little stiff. So then, how to lube them? I finally got a short piece of rubber hose that fit snug around the upper end of the pull cable. I attached it with a clamp just to be sure it wouldn't fly off. Then, I sprayed some penetrating/lubricating oil(Zep 45) into the hose, and used my air blower to blow the lubricant thru the cable, using only aboot 3-4psi, in several shorts bursts. What came out the bottom end was quite rusty, but eventually it was clean. The cable then was free to move in/out. After getting it clean, I poured a few drops of transmission fluid into the hose, and blew that down with air also. I did both the pull and push cables. Now the throttle twists as it should....nice and easy. :yahoo:
Maybe I can actually get to the cleaning job next weekend.... :whistling: :blush:

Latest posts