What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the battery off The Turd yesterday and put it on the charger, and let it trickle charge all nite. Put it back on this mernin, and took the Turd out for a short ride, first to the parts house for a can of Seafoam. Poured some SF in the tank, and took off down the hiway. Put aboot 10 miles on it, and itsa runnin great. What a beast, tho, compared to the 1500, yeeesh! I'd forgotten how much different the two rides are. Oh well...now I just need to fire the durn thing up every week and keep the fuel system clean, so I don't hafta go thru the hassle of cleanin the carbs again.
Front brakes were draggin....barely got the dang thing off the deck, cause it dint wanna back up. It freed up after a few minutes, tho. And of course, the rear brake still needs bleedin, but that ain't no biggie. Just happy the stinkin thing is running right(on all 4) again....wheeeeew! :heat:

:moped:

That rare <60% humidity, >60*F day in East Tennessee winter. Had already prepared the shed with tarps all around and lights arranged. Pulled the wife's mule out and put cardboard across two saw horses, ran extension cord out for the lights, hauled the Hunley's side covers, shelter covers, and front fender out and placed them carefully. Then put on disposable coveralls with hood, gloves, respirator, goggles, and face shield. Shook and activated Spraymax 2K gloss clear coat rattle can and went at it. Just got started when a tiny spider landed on a cover - I think that I got him off without leaving a mark. BUT! I had a pretty bad run on the rear of a shelter cover. Hopefully it will be hidden by the seat. AND, after I left them to take of the gear and let the paint flash, a &^%$#*&! gnat landed in the center of a shelter cover. Was able to pick most of him off. Hopefully he will wet sand out, or he may become part of the show.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207659#p207659:15ny9v3y said:
pidjones » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 am[/url]":15ny9v3y]
. AND, after I left them to take of the gear and let the paint flash, a &^%$#*&! gnat landed in the center of a shelter cover. Was able to pick most of him off. Hopefully he will wet sand out, or he may become part of the show.
:doh:

Not today, but Thursday, I went out to check out my '84 Aspy... battery was strong enough to bring on all the lights, but too weak to roll it over solid. I put the charger on it for the night, came out in the morning, and wound her right up... let her run for about 20 minutes, then shut her down. It'll be another week or so before the road is solid enough to get from my driveway to the pavement... county has been putting down hundreds of tons of gravel to keep the boils passable (they're really squishy)... once there's a solid path through, I'll be in the wind...

Pulled the starter out....it crapped out on me over the weekend. There soesn't seem to be any melting or any damage inside...just full of carbon crud. I'm going to clean and lube it and get new brushes if the old ones are out of spec

Added an oil dipstick!

image.php

The "Slug" is screaming for me to move all this boat stuff out of her space!

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209233#p209233:2jufrdmm said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:00 am[/url]":2jufrdmm]
Added an oil dipstick!

image.php

The "Slug" is screaming for me to move all this boat stuff out of her space!

image.php
I can see why she might be a bit cramped Gerry, nice clamp job on the dipstick. :good:

Well...my starter brushes were within spec but when I was cleaning the brushes and insulator plate the insulation on the positive brush crumbled to pieces. I got a new insulator plate and brushes for about 13 bucks on Ebay. I put it back together and installed it after work today. I'm totally amazed at how fast it spins the engine now. I don't think it's turned over this fast since I got it...and the previous owner put in a new battery the day I picked it up. Spins way faster and should give more juice to the ignition since the starter isn't sucking it up.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209258#p209258:q7imidsp said:
bib » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:56 am[/url]":q7imidsp]
Well...my starter brushes were within spec but when I was cleaning the brushes and insulator plate the insulation on the positive brush crumbled to pieces. I got a new insulator plate and brushes for about 13 bucks on Ebay. I put it back together and installed it after work today. I'm totally amazed at how fast it spins the engine now. I don't think it's turned over this fast since I got it...and the previous owner put in a new battery the day I picked it up. Spins way faster and should give more juice to the ignition since the starter isn't sucking it up.
I just went through a similar thing with a customers Toyota Landcruiser Diesel that wouldn’t jump start with my heavy duty leads and when I tested the current draw was 700 amps plus. He installed a new starter and advised me that the whole time he has owned the vehicle it has never started so quickly. :doh:

Having spent a couple years under water, the Hunley didn't have any problem at all with the weather yesterday morning at a church car show in Knoxville.
21d3fdb1870d8a8beb3e88782639d2f8.jpg

Later, things dried out for a great show!
773765bbc305d0792ffe032805626b66.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209282#p209282:1im8mz22 said:
joedrum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 am[/url]":1im8mz22]
Wow nice ...love it ...78-79 had the best looks ever to me
I agree, Joe. And the Hunley has a '75 engine and carbs - the best of both!

Yestidy, I tried for aboot 2 hours to get some form of firm rear brake pedal on the "Turd" befo I gave up. Rebuilt master AND caliper not too long ago, but never really had a firm pedal, even tho it will stop the rear. Gotta take it in two weeks to get it inspected, and would like to have a decent rear brake....but not really gunna worry too mooch aboot it now. Then, on top of that, my danged maintenance charger took a doo-doo on me...just bought two of them a couple of months ago....yeeesh... :fiddle: :crying:

Latest posts