What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the past two weeks put 4200 miles on the 1800 via US70 through Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona then on to Williams and a trip (by train) to the Grand Canyon. Returned via Painted Desert/Petrified Forest then US60 through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, then back roads from Kentucky through Tennessee. Kept wife happy with luggage space by towing a Uni-go single wheel trailer that we rolled into our room at night as our luggage. Except the Best Western in Holbrook, NM that put all AARP and other discounts on 2nd floor with no elevator. $50 more for 1st floor.

On the many long, lonely, beautiful stretches I realized that the only vehicle reliable enough for this is a GoldWing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209803#p209803:299rpf5p said:
pidjones » Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 pm[/url]":299rpf5p]
Over the past two weeks put 4200 miles on the 1800 via US70 through Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona then on to Williams and a trip (by train) to the Grand Canyon. Returned via Painted Desert/Petrified Forest then US60 through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, then back roads from Kentucky through Tennessee. Kept wife happy with luggage space by towing a Uni-go single wheel trailer that we rolled into our room at night as our luggage. Except the Best Western in Holbrook, NM that put all AARP and other discounts on 2nd floor with no elevator. $50 more for 1st floor.

On the many long, lonely, beautiful stretches I realized that the only vehicle reliable enough for this is a GoldWing.
:good: :salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209803#p209803:3p3oqma7 said:
pidjones » Today, 5:46 am[/url]":3p3oqma7]

Here, Here!! :music: Doing the same with my 1500. Only wish I would like to have is the 1500 with FI. Ride safe, enjoy.

Almost two weeks ago, I had my first low back epidural injection. I am starting to get some relief! :yahoo:

To celebrate, I fired up the "Slug" and stretched her legs out by towing our trailer down to work on our boat. It is only 26 miles one way, but all highway from our house. It was great getting back out on the road! (Little bit sore today.)

The poor old girl has been off the road for too long. The trailer was not loaded heavy at all, but I could watch my gas gauge dropping quickly (way too fast...like 25 MPG fast). Looks like I am going to have to pull her carbs and give them a good cleaning!

A pic with both girls together (from last fall).

image.php

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209858#p209858:1twazsto said:
mcgovern61 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 pm[/url]":1twazsto]
Almost two weeks ago, I had my first low back epidural injection. I am starting to get some relief! :yahoo:

To celebrate, I fired up the "Slug" and stretched her legs out by towing our trailer down to work on our boat. It is only 26 miles one way, but all highway from our house. It was great getting back out on the road! (Little bit sore today.)

The poor old girl has been off the road for too long. The trailer was not loaded heavy at all, but I could watch my gas gauge dropping quickly (way too fast...like 25 MPG fast). Looks like I am going to have to pull her carbs and give them a good cleaning!

A pic with both girls together (from last fall).

image.php
Glad you rode her Gerry. :good:

Weather finally co-operated and allowed me to take "The Turd" out for it's state inspection. First time it has been in the sun since this time last year. Fuel problems with the carbs have been an issue, even tho I have been starting it up and letting it run occasionally. It idles on 2 cylinders...the other two don't start firing properly until the revs come up, so taking off smoothly is fun, to say the least. It did eventually start running properly just as I got back home. :doh:
Just to add to the adventure, the front brakes also seem to be dragging a little, but they back off once I get moving. Prolly need to clean the master to solve that issue. This is what happens when they just sit for extended periods...they get grumpy. :whip:

This weekend turned into pull them out, put batteries in them, fire them up in the garage and watch the rain fall.

Changed oil & filter in the 88 and 86, prepping them for the Southeastern leg of our 12 state capitol tour starting on the 8th of Jun. If that goes well, we'll try the Northeast 12 state leg in July.

Weather forecast still calling for rain indefinitely. Bah!! Humbug!

Attachments

• 84 GL1200.jpg
    84 GL1200.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 85 GL1200.jpg
    85 GL1200.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 86 trike.jpg
    86 trike.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 88 GL1500.jpg
    88 GL1500.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 101
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209882#p209882:3c2b5bta said:
Daeouse » Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 pm[/url]":3c2b5bta]
That black one is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 Interstate, assembled from parts bikes, 29000 on odometer, car tire on rear, new front tire, no radio, rear shock air pressure guage, voltmeter, oil pressure guage, antique M/C tags, and a clear title! What else could you want in a bike?

Attachments

• 84 dashboard.jpg
    84 dashboard.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 84 tank view.jpg
    84 tank view.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 84 right rear.jpg
    84 right rear.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 93

3 more trips to the boatyard and the gas mileage is improving (up to 35 MPG now). Still well below my normal 40 MPG on the highway pulling the trailer, but it is an improvement.

My back and knees are showing signs that they are not happy. :cheeky:

Bottom line, I am going to enjoy riding the "Slug" just a bit longer (June) and then start the process of bringing her up to speed to sell. She needs paint and all of the new emblems I have stored to get a good price. As is, she looks like a working bike and may not be desirable to others because is customized for me. A few makeup repairs on her looks and she might get a better price.

PurpleGL1200I":2kyzd7p6 said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209882#p209882:2kyzd7p6 said:
Daeouse » Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 pm[/url]":2kyzd7p6]
That black one is beautiful!

84 Interstate, assembled from parts bikes, 29000 on odometer, car tire on rear, new front tire, no radio, rear shock air pressure guage, voltmeter, oil pressure guage, antique M/C tags, and a clear title! What else could you want in a bike?

I can’t think of anything else! It’s a beautiful bike, built with care, and you did it yourself!

Touched up the paint on the edges of the side covers fot the Hunley - another show this coming Saturday. Cleaned more bugs off the 1800. I think that Oklahoma is now bug-free (at least, along US60) from our trip through. I've washed her twice and gone over her with hydrogen peroxide spray with a dribble of Dawn in it, then Original Bike Spirits, and it stll looks dirty.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209899#p209899:qbp3ffhh said:
pidjones » Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 pm[/url]":qbp3ffhh]
...I've washed her twice and gone over her with hydrogen peroxide spray with a dribble of Dawn in it, then Original Bike Spirits, and it stll looks dirty.

I don’t think I have ever heard of this elixir. Tried and true and works well? I’m sure willing to give it a spin. Even in the desert, we have our share of bugs.

desertrefugee":l1y0fded said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209899#p209899:l1y0fded said:
pidjones » Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 pm[/url]":l1y0fded]
...I've washed her twice and gone over her with hydrogen peroxide spray with a dribble of Dawn in it, then Original Bike Spirits, and it stll looks dirty.

I don’t think I have ever heard of this elixir. Tried and true and works well? I’m sure willing to give it a spin. Even in the desert, we have our share of bugs.
The hydrogen peroxide (regular drug store strength) disolves the protien in the bug splats (foams up nice on 'em) and the Dawn is just to reduce surface tension so any oil/grease wipes off too. 13 years of it hasn't bothered paint, crome, or windscreen.
BTW, some of these may have been yours from our pass through AZ and NM.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209910#p209910:28h3jyz0 said:
pidjones » Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 pm[/url]":28h3jyz0]
desertrefugee":28h3jyz0 said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209899#p209899:28h3jyz0 said:
pidjones » Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 pm[/url]":28h3jyz0]

The hydrogen peroxide (regular drug store strength) disolves the protien in the bug splats (foams up nice on 'em) and the Dawn is just to reduce surface tension so any oil/grease wipes off too. 13 years of it hasn't bothered paint, crome, or windscreen.
BTW, some of these may have been yours from our pass through AZ and NM.

Interesting. I'm gonna try it. Thanks. And you left a few bugs behind. I actually got a bee up my jacket sleeve last week. THAT got my attention.

Memorial Day Weekend is my traditional once-a-year wash and wax. Takes me 2 days, I don't have the endurance, either physically or mentally, to do it in one. Sure is nice to see her shine again. I'm celebrating my 30th riding season on this bike. :thank_you:

I test fitted the Valk seat on my 1100.. ( guess where it came from)..... It will take a little work to mount it but I think it will work. It's a bit lower than the stocker but will let me move around more.

Attachments

• KIMG0419.JPG
    KIMG0419.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 147

Latest posts