Will's 79 Single Carb Conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123460#p123460:tl43mtjy said:
wbishop » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 pm[/url]":tl43mtjy]
I'm trying to make the 1.25 OD grab bar pipe fit inside the 1 3/8 opening on the vw manifold.

I did exactly that on my single carb build. I put short sections of 1 1/4" grab bar into the manifold spigots so they stuck out from the manifold by about and inch. This piece of grab bar goes right up to the end of the spigot. In order to centre it and anchor it in the 1 3/8" ID spigot I used some pieces I cut from a piece of aluminum tubing I found in my junk box that is 1 3/8" OD x 1 1/4" ID. Glued the whole thing together with my old friend JB Weld.

Here are some pics.
short piece of grab rail
sticking out of the manifold
goes right up to front of spigot

For a tubing with 1 3/8" OD x 1 1/4" ID I think someone found that some of the pipes used for chain link fencing that Home Depot sells has those dimensions and it was very cheap.

The piece that I found the hardest to find is the flexible hose that is 1 1/4" ID and 1 5/8" OD which fits over the grab rail, is about the same OD as the manifold spigots, and fits nicely inside the OEM manifolds out that the heads. Also it has to be fuel rated so that it does not break down with gasoline wetting it. The best place to look is industrial supply places that sell industrial hoses. I finally found exactly the hose I needed at Greenline Hose here in Calgary.

This is the hose I ended up using

One thing this single carb build will be patience. I wouldn't be thinking of getting the bike running by next week...it is going to take a bit longer than that but well worth the effort.

Brian

That rubber thing on the end of the manifold spigots with the hose clamps is from the plumbing department of Home Depot. Can't remember the size...I think 1 1/2" but the important thing is that it can be stretch over the 1 5/8" spigot OD and the fuel hose OD to join the whole thing together at the VW manifold end.

You can cut them in half and used a half piece for each manifold spigot.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123517#p123517:3qyudnin said:
canuckxxxx » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm[/url]":3qyudnin]
For a tubing with 1 3/8" OD x 1 1/4" ID I think someone found that some of the pipes used for chain link fencing that Home Depot sells has those dimensions and it was very cheap.

The piece that I found the hardest to find is the flexible hose that is 1 1/4" ID and 1 5/8" OD which fits over the grab rail, is about the same OD as the manifold spigots, and fits nicely inside the OEM manifolds out that the heads. Also it has to be fuel rated so that it does not break down with gasoline wetting it. The best place to look is industrial supply places that sell industrial hoses. I finally found exactly the hose I needed at Greenline Hose here in Calgary.

This is the hose I ended up using
Hey! That is USCG (United States Coast Guard) Approved marine fuel hose! Good stuff! Maybe you can take her out on the water too? :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123502#p123502:6h8nsrc2 said:
Ansimp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:28 pm[/url]":6h8nsrc2]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123497#p123497:6h8nsrc2 said:
dan filipi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 am[/url]":6h8nsrc2]
Yep, I went to an O Reillys and they let me go back and compare hoses.
The guys were very helpful and actually interested in what I was doing.
Real auto parts store guys are like this.
Put the one with that dumbaxx manager on your blacklist never to visit again and tell your friends.

Maybe a ngw member? :smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: seriously the best tool there is ..is determination ...it cant be beat .. im sorry ive been kind of quiet ...ive been working on a project bike lately .. i just scand the posts ... the green stripe hose i have used and is part of the project im doing .. i didnt buy it ... but i may have some with numbers on it ... dont make it to hard .. get stuff together with what you can find ...if it has to be up graded later after it running its worthy to do so ... way to much weight put in the hose .. its not like its going to self distruct instantly .. screw the fool people .. there proof all over this forum of successful builds .. and the people here is where your foundation is at ... great sugestions in the posts above ..... this is a member first forum that works ...dont get upset by the braindead fools ... there just stick in the spokes :builder: nothing beats determination :mrgreen:

For hose, if you want to be sure it is safe for fuel or gasoline, just check the SAE number in the stripe. For example, the hose in the picture is SAE 1527.93 which is certified Marine fuel hose:

https://standards.sae.org/j1527_201102/

The fact that is also stamped USCG makes it easy. Any hose out there like these will have SAE numbers on them, just get the number and type it into Google. :laptop:

If you are going to use hose for your single carb setups, you might as well be certain that it is suitable for gasoline! :yes:

Thank you guys for all the helpful information here! I spent some time cleaning up the shop and my work area around the bike last night. I'll have to wait until the 11th to get the hose I need. I'm thinking now of just following Canuckxxxx's lead and just using the fuel rated hose for now. I'll have all winter to try and get the grab bars dialed in. I did come across the rubber connectors at Lowes in the plumbing section for about $4/each, so i'll have to get a few of those for the vw manifold too. I've got a few other things I need to do to the bike in the mean time, but my goal is to at least get it to start before the season's over. I do have a few things I'm looking at selling to get on the road quicker too, so as soon as I have an update, I'll be sure to post it here with some pictures! Thank you guys again, I really appreciate the help!

I am certainly not trying to descourage you from having pieces of grab rail between plenum and elbows. That would be a very cool looking setup IMO. Really no more effort either.

I say go for it.

Just thinking about the spacer tube between the 1 1/4" grab rail and the 1 3/8" ID of the plenum spigots. As long as you find a tube that is close, or slightly bigger, with 1/16" wall thickness, you could cut a piece out length wise and roll it in to fit. It is just a spacer to give it mechanical strength. Use plenty of JB to bind it all together.

Brian

Thanks Brian! I didn't think of this. You guys have given me so much good info and great ideas that now I'm seeing that there are definitely a thousand ways to skin a cat, so to speak. I'm kinda re-thinking my runners here since two of them need to bend, and if I use any type of metal for the runners, it's going to need to be welded, and i'm concerned about the cost of having someone do that for me. I really like the idea of using the silicone or hard wall fuel/coolant hose for runners since it's easier to work with than steel, and requires no special tools, etc. I did find some 1 3/8 pipe/tube online that'll fit perfectly into the VW manifold though, and the idea of JB welding that into the manifold spigots really interests me because it should (in theory) eliminate the possibility of leaks. With all the options here I'm kinda at a loss as to which route to take. I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds, ease of construction, and best functionality.

I got my Transdapt 2025 today from Jegs. Looks like the holes between the carb and the adapter are really close, but off just slightly. I'll use my dremel or a small file to solve that problem, and get working on my adapter plate this weekend. It shouldn't take much. I think I'm going to go with the idea Joe, Brian, and others have done and use fuel hose. I'll basically be doing westgl's build, and will try to use the same hose. I know he had issues with the hose collapsing, but I'm wondering if you put a 1" piece of 1.25 OD stainless pipe in the center of those hose runners and clamp it, if it'll solve that problem, or maybe use a hose clamp by itself on the outside. I'm not sure if those hose clamps are strong enough to prevent the hose from collapsing or deforming, and keep it a nice round circle, but we'll find out. My only concern with putting a small piece of 1.25 od pipe in the center of the hose runners is fuel pooling, or airflow disruption, but I'd make the edges as smooth as possible to try and prevent it. Worst case scenario, I've still got my stainless grab bar pipe and can try other hoses if needed. Really like the way that black fuel hose looks though!! Thoughts?

Also, I do have some steel laying around that I'll use to make a throttle cable bracket similar to what westgl did. I wanna make this the easiest setup possible and put together a parts list, etc similar to his build so hopefully we can have a list of what works and where to get all the parts, and how much it all cost, with links and pictures that can be referenced for anyone who needs it. I'm really excited to get going on this! Thank you all for your help!

I will have to get to that linkage issue later on, I have to get the radiator fixed or replaced, and take care of the timinmg belts first before I fire it up anyway, and that will be a few days at least.

Guys swear by that Uni-Link. I picked one up but haven't even tinkered with it. I've got a box full of brand new parts and pieces just begging to be put together! Let me know if you find something that works well! I'd appreciate one less headache, and I'll return the favor if I stumble across something that works. :)

I got mine from Jbugs for $6.95. I'll tinker with it this weekend and let ya know how it goes.

Oh cool, the one I looked at was 20, I wish I would have thought to look before I ordered the carb, I could have had it by now. Oh well, I have a long road to complete on this bike yet.

I spent some time cleaning the garage and working on the bike today for once! I spent about an hour or so with the dremel cutting the adapter plate and air filter plate and managed to get the carb and air cleaner put together. Took some pics so I'll upload them tomorrow. Need to read up on this weber carter from Stovebolt. I'm gonna remove the electronic choke and might make a manual one. Tomorrow I'll be making the adapter plate for my 2 to 1 adapter and vw manifold and will take plenty of pictures!