Will's 79 Single Carb Conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven't removed the electric choke yet maybe think about it. An E-choke can be a great thing.

Most of us removed the E-choke because there wasn't enough room with the carb mounted north-south. But another benny of the 2 to 1 adapter is that you can mount the carb sideways with the E-choker facing front. I think I read somewhere that others have done this. Maybe someone else can give more details.

Brian

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124290#p124290:39b8tdqk said:
wbishop » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:04 pm[/url]":39b8tdqk]
I spent some time cleaning the garage and working on the bike today for once! I spent about an hour or so with the dremel cutting the adapter plate and air filter plate and managed to get the carb and air cleaner put together. Took some pics so I'll upload them tomorrow. Need to read up on this weber carter from Stovebolt. I'm gonna remove the electronic choke and might make a manual one. Tomorrow I'll be making the adapter plate for my 2 to 1 adapter and vw manifold and will take plenty of pictures!
Cool, looking forward to the pics.

keep us posted on the manual choke. i know the bikes are doing good without them, but i tend to ride until the ice stops me, so i feel like i will need one. i have the wifes bike tuned so wellit never needs choke in the summer. but below 35 degrees, it needs it.

It's 101 degrees outside, and it feels like an oven in the garage, so I haven't been able to get anything done on the single carb yet today. I did get my exhaust adapter issue figured out though! :yahoo: Here are the pictures from yesterday. Air Filter and carb mounted. :music: Tonight I'll finish trimming the sides off the air filter adapter plate, and get that all cleaned up, then make the 2 to 1 adapter plate out of this thick tough plastic I'd been saving for just such an occasion. I used to manage a cell phone store so when we disassembled a phone display a couple years ago I decided to keep it just in case..

Attachments

• DSCN5847.JPG
    DSCN5847.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN5851.JPG
    DSCN5851.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN5852.JPG
    DSCN5852.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN5854.JPG
    DSCN5854.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 119
Thank you guys! I've been researching this single carb conversion for over a year and have had this bike for almost 3 years and am just now finding the money to get it up and going, so seeing it all come together on my work bench is totally surreal. I'll post more pictures tonight when I get the adapter plate built. :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124323#p124323:3u4u3nst said:
canuckxxxx » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:08 am[/url]":3u4u3nst]
If you haven't removed the electric choke yet maybe think about it. An E-choke can be a great thing.

Most of us removed the E-choke because there wasn't enough room with the carb mounted north-south. But another benny of the 2 to 1 adapter is that you can mount the carb sideways with the E-choker facing front. I think I read somewhere that others have done this. Maybe someone else can give more details.

Brian

I haven't yet removed it. It didn't occur to me that using the 2 to 1 adapter would give me different mounting options, but it totally makes sense. Thank you! If I have the space I'll keep it on there, but I honestly might not need it, so we'll have to see. If I keep it I'll just have to figure out what to do with the manual choke cable on the gauge cluster. Maybe install some rocket boosters or surface to air missiles. :smilie_happy:

Snuck in a few hours before it got too hot this morning and finished my 2 to 1 adapter plate. I dropped a piece of this plastic into some gas to see how it's going to affect it. It's a temporary setup for now and I might re-make it on Friday after I can afford an aluminum plate, but it works for the time being! We'll see what the gas does. Pictures are in reverse order.. my bad! Putting runners on Friday, fuel line, second filter, and fluid change/check and we'll see if we can get the beast to fire up!

Attachments

• DSCN5865.JPG
    DSCN5865.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN5859.JPG
    DSCN5859.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN5863.JPG
    DSCN5863.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN5868.JPG
    DSCN5868.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN5869.JPG
    DSCN5869.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN5870.JPG
    DSCN5870.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN5871.JPG
    DSCN5871.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN5873.JPG
    DSCN5873.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN5843.JPG
    DSCN5843.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 103
The plastic was really easy to work with so I hope it'll work. I used the gaskets that came with everything. I don't have much faith in those so I'm going to buy some gasket material and cut my own. Really happy to see this thing coming along! I might also mention that I'm using Langdon's 1.75 inch high air filter. I was going to get the 2.5 inch, but wanted to make sure I didn't have clearance issues adding the 2 to 1 as it added about 2 inches to the height. I probably could have bought the 2.5 inch high air filter, but I'm happy with how it turned out! More pictures Friday!

Thank you guys! The plastic probably won't respond well to heat but I'm keeping a very close eye on it. I'll get a more permanent solution put together before I get it on the road, but for a test run it should be alright! Still need tires and a few things here and there!

Soaked the plastic in gas for 24 hours and came out the same way it went in, so no worries there. Just gotta worry about heat it looks like!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124781#p124781:8r2s25o0 said:
wbishop » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:59 pm[/url]":8r2s25o0]
Soaked the plastic in gas for 24 hours and came out the same way it went in, so no worries there. Just gotta worry about heat it looks like!
Keep the throttle open wide and you will have all that cooling effect of you air/fuel mix :smilie_happy:
I really don't think heat will be too much of a problem as it is only secondary heat not direct contact heat :good: